- Kaine, Trump, U.S. lawmakers raise concerns over AT&T-Time Warner deal
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:49:27 -0400 -
By Julia Edwards and Diane Bartz WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The telecom-media giant that would be formed if federal regulators approve AT&T Inc's $85.4 billion purchase of Time Warner Inc raises antitrust issues, Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Kaine and several U.S. lawmakers said on Sunday. Kaine said lawmakers and regulators would have to review the deal and "get to the bottom" of questions over whether the merger would decrease competition. "I'm pro-competition," Kaine said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "Less concentration, I think, is generally helpful especially in the media." Kaine, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's running mate, said he had not had a chance to review the details of the deal.
- Second wind for stocks as earnings turn positive
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 18:57:58 -0400 -
With S&P 500 earnings on track to rise after four consecutive quarters of contraction, U.S. stocks are clearing a major hurdle that puts the record high in sight for the benchmark U.S. stock index. The S&P 500 hit a record high in mid August even after the long profit slump. "The magnitude of the beats we’ve had is really important," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at Wunderlich Securities in New York.
- Senate committee on antitrust to 'carefully examine' AT&T-Time Warner deal
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 10:57:33 -0400 -
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An acquisition of Time Warner Inc by AT&T Inc. could raise significant antitrust issues that the U.S. Senate committee on antitrust would carefully examine, the chairman and ranking member of the committee said Sunday. AT&T announced on Saturday a deal to buy Time Warner for $85.4 billion, the boldest move yet by a telecommunications company to acquire content to stream over its network to attract a growing number of online viewers. (Reporting by Julia Edwards; Editing by Bill Trott)
- GM to add SUV production line at China JV in 2017: Xinhua
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 10:48:16 -0400 -
General Motors Co plans to launch a new SUV production line at its joint venture factory in the Chinese central city of Wuhan during the first half of 2017, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Sunday, citing company sources. SAIC General Motors (SGM), a joint venture between China's SAIC and General Motors, started operations at the Wuhan plant last year. The new production line will be able to produce 360,000 vehicles a year, bringing the combined capacity to 600,000, Xinhua said.
- Saudi Arabia looks to Russia to boost non-OPEC cooperation
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 06:44:56 -0400 -
Saudi Arabia's Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said on Sunday he had invited his Russian counterpart Alexander Novak to meet Gulf Arab energy ministers in Riyadh as part of efforts to cooperate with non-OPEC members to stabilize the oil market. "Russia is one of the world's biggest oil producers ... and is one of the influential parties in the stability of the oil market," Falih said at the opening session of the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). Novak had said on Friday he would take "some" proposals to the meeting in Riyadh.
- In insurance Big Data could lower rates for optimistic tweeters
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 04:17:37 -0400 -
By Brenna Hughes Neghaiwi ZURICH (Reuters) - When people take to Twitter to comment on the great evening they enjoyed with good food and wonderful friends, reducing their monthly insurance bill is probably the last thing on their mind. This could lead to future insurance cover based on "sentiment analysis", in which Big Data and artificial intelligence make predictive models ever more accurate. Swiss Re says technological advances will cut the price of insurance protection and help individuals and firms make better decisions through programs that offer advice and incentivise improvements in areas such as health and driving.
- AT&T-Time Warner may signal start of new media industry consolidation
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 08:08:55 -0400 -
By David Shepardson and Jessica Toonkel WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - The tie-up of AT&T Inc and Time Warner Inc, bringing together one of the country's largest wireless and pay TV providers and cable networks like HBO, CNN and TBS, could kick off a new round of industry consolidation amid massive changes in how people watch TV. Discovery Communications Inc gained 3.6 percent, AMC Networks Inc rose 3.9 percent and Scripps Networks Interactive Inc jumped 5.6 percent. Media content companies are having an increasingly difficult time as standalone entities, creating an opportunity for telecom, satellite and cable providers to make acquisitions, analysts say.
- Italy's front line in fight to save banks: a storage room
- Sun, 23 Oct 2016 08:51:10 -0400 -
By Valentina Za MILAN (Reuters) - Storage rooms crammed with loan documents have emerged as a hidden front line in Italy's battle to save its banks from the threat of financial crisis. Dozens of analysts have been toiling in back offices of the nation's third-largest lender, Monte dei Paschi di Siena , in the first stage of a campaign to sell or recover much of Italy's 360 billion euros ($395 billion) worth of problem loans. "Ours is a painstaking job," said Luca Mazzoni, chief executive of Protos, which has been hired by Monte dei Paschi.
- Exclusive: Goldman Sachs' Latam investment bank chief to leave - source
- Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:37:23 -0400 -
By Christine Murray and Olivia Oran MEXICO CITY/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Martin Werner, co-head of Goldman Sachs' investment banking business in Latin America, will depart the Wall Street bank at the end of this year, according to a person familiar with the situation. Werner, who also runs Goldman's investment banking business in Mexico, told the Mexico office last week he was retiring after 16 years at the bank. A spokesman for Goldman Sachs in New York declined to comment.
- New York governor approves new regulations on Airbnb
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 15:27:00 -0400 -
(Reuters) - New York Governor Andrew Cuomo approved legislation on Friday that would place new regulations on online home rental companies like Airbnb. Existing New York state law bars most urban apartment-dwellers from renting out their units for less than 30 days if they are not present. The law recently passed by the state legislature would bar even advertising a rental that violates that existing law, which could help regulators crack down on Airbnb itself in addition to the users of its service. Airbnb had previously said it would sue if Cuomo approved the bill. ...
- WHY IT MATTERS: Energy
- Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:32:37 -0400 -
- WHY IT MATTERS: Taxes
- Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:11:19 -0400 -
- WHY IT MATTERS: Social Security
- Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:51:48 -0400 -
- The best ways to sell your big data projects to the CEO
- Sat, 22 Oct 2016 14:56:00 -0400 -
In order to gain support and financial approval for your big data and analytics initiatives, you need to give busy senior managers a snapshot of how these efforts can pay off.
- How to create multiple NAT Networks in VirtualBox
- Sat, 22 Oct 2016 14:08:00 -0400 -
For an easy way to work with NAT networks and virtual machines, check out how to use VirtualBox's NAT Networks.
- Facebook ajustará las noticias que ves por la velocidad del Internet
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 15:41:49 -0400 -
Los ingenieros cambiarán el algoritmo del 'news feed' para que las noticias relevantes les lleguen a las personas interesadas.
- BMW's vision for the smart city of the future includes autonomous driving and AI
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 14:05:00 -0400 -
BMW's new venture accelerator allows entrepreneurs to work with its engineers to create human-focused technology that will result in a paradigm shift of urban mobility.
- Electronic health records: The smart person's guide
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 13:52:00 -0400 -
This comprehensive guide covers all you need to know about EHRs, or electronic health records, the new standard in medical documentation.
- 5 top takeaways from Dell EMC World 2016
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 13:30:04 -0400 -
At the inaugural conference of the newly-joined tech giants, a host of announcements were made around products and services. Here's what you need to know.
- Switching clouds: What Spotify learned when it swapped AWS for Google's cloud
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:40:51 -0400 -
Spotify reveals how it fared when replacing Amazon's cloud storage with Google's and shares the gotchas to watch out for.
- How to deploy Windows using MDT and WDS
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 12:04:42 -0400 -
You can save time by using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) and Windows Deployment Services (WDS) to deploy Windows client OS from your Windows Server across your network.
- Why you should devote as much time to dark data as big data
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:47:31 -0400 -
Dark data projects can be a tough sell. Learn ways to explore dark data that can generate business insights and results.
- How to install NitroShare on Ubuntu Linux for cross-platform file sharing
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:44:00 -0400 -
File sharing on a LAN doesn't have to be complicated. Discover how to make it simple with the free and open NitroShare app.
- 'Pokémon Go', una mina de oro: genera ganancias de US$600 millones
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 11:11:20 -0400 -
Según App Annie, el popular juego alcanzó esa cifra en apenas 90 días, superando por mucho a otros títulos móviles, que lo han hecho en hasta 500 días.
- Why there's no compelling use case for hybrid cloud
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 10:29:00 -0400 -
Don't confuse hybrid infrastructure with hybrid cloud. With no real reason to integrate public and private cloud solutions, hybrid cloud isn't a worthwhile undertaking.
- IBM and SBI Securities test bond trading on the blockchain
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 09:48:41 -0400 -
SBI Securities will adopt the Hyperledger Fabric and work with IBM to test the application of blockchain technology for operational processes and security around bond trading.
- How data and machine learning are 'part of Uber's DNA'
- Fri, 21 Oct 2016 07:00:03 -0400 -
TechRepublic talked to Uber's head of machine learning about what the ride-sharing giant has learned from seven years of collecting and using 'smart' data.
- Google Daydream View ya se puede pedir por adelantado en Verizon
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 18:26:21 -0400 -
Las nuevas gafas de realidad virtual están disponibles para comprar no sólo por la operadora sino también por la tienda Google Play.
- Innovate like Amazon: Put values and tactics ahead of strategy
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:52:00 -0400 -
Gartner's Janelle Hill made an unorthodox recommendation to the tech leaders at Gartner Symposium this week. She told them to stop spending so much time on strategy.
- Netflix: Todo lo que viene y se va en noviembre en EE.UU.
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:37:50 -0400 -
El regreso de la serie 'Gilmore Girls' es uno de los puntos sobresalientes de la programación del servicio de 'streaming' de video en noviembre.
- How to install Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment on CentOS
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 15:34:07 -0400 -
For an added layer of security on your CentOS system, you should consider installing Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment. Find out why.
- Five reasons people hate your mobile app
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:52:15 -0400 -
A mobile app is important to business success, right? True, but a bad app can be a key part of business failure. Here are five features of mobile apps that turn users off.
- How to fix document open errors on mobile Google Drive
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:52:00 -0400 -
If you're having trouble opening Google Docs on your Android device, see if this solution resolves the issue.
- How Mendix' Smart Apps help large companies innovate like startups
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:42:12 -0400 -
The Platform as a Service provider aims to make mobile app development accessible, even to non-developers.
- El tráiler de 'Logan' muestra a un Wolverine viejo, pero peligroso
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 12:46:05 -0400 -
Hugh Jackman vuelve a interpretar al mutante de las garras de Marvel, pero ahora entrado en años, en una nueva película que se estrenará en 2017.
- Google cuts cloud storage pricing, but will it be enough for the enterprise?
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 12:03:00 -0400 -
Google recently announced the new Coldline cloud storage offering and lowered pricing for all of its storage tiers. However, challenges remain that hold Google back from being a cloud storage powerhouse.
- Pokemon Go: How the cloud saved the smash hit game from collapse
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:53:00 -0400 -
Pokemon Go's creators reveal how they worked with Google to keep the service afloat in the face of explosive demand.
- US police storing facial image data of 117 million Americans, report says
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:43:00 -0400 -
26 states now let law enforcement use face recognition tech to search driver's license and ID photos, creating a "virtual line-up" of residents.
- Nintendo Switch: así es la nueva consola que llegará en marzo 2017
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:38:46 -0400 -
La compañía japonesa dio a conocer hoy, en un breve tráiler, la nueva consola que pretende hacer competencia a las actuales PlayStation y Xbox.
- Language learning platform Verbling announces new enterprise-centered system
- Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:00:03 -0400 -
Global businesses need global employees, and that means multilingual ones. Face-to-face language learning platform Verbling wants to make employee education simple.