- Wall St. gains as data points to budding economy
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:52:38 -0400 -
Financial and commodity-sector stocks led the S&P 500 higher in a low-volume session on Monday after consumer spending rose for a fourth straight month, pointing to a pick-up in U.S. economic growth. After Fed Chair Janet Yellen said the case for a rate hike before the end of the year was strengthening, Vice Chair Stanley Fischer seemed to indicate not only the possibility of a tightening move in September but a second one in December. "Utilities are up on a bounce," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at Wunderlich Securities in New York.
- In twist, Caesars wins brief extension on lawsuit shield
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:32:30 -0400 -
Investors are suing Caesars for reneging on its guaranty of bonds issued by its operating unit, Caesars Entertainment Operating Co Inc, or CEOC, which is bankrupt. An appeal hearing is scheduled for Tuesday in Chicago, just hours before U.S. District Judge Jed Rakoff in Manhattan was scheduled to hear oral arguments from several bondholders. Until now, Caesars' operating unit was able to use a bankruptcy court shield to protect its parent from some $11 billion in bondholder lawsuits filed in New York and Delaware.
- Mondelez abandons pursuit for U.S. chocolate maker Hershey
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 18:42:15 -0400 -
The abandoned deal, which would have created the world's largest confectioner, underscores the grip that the charitable trust, set up by the company's founder Milton Hershey over a century ago to fund and run a school for underprivileged children, has on the maker of Hershey's Kisses and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Hershey rejected a $107 per share acquisition offer from Mondelez at the end of June. Mondelez's Chief Executive Officer Irene Rosenfeld approached Hershey Chief Executive John Bilbrey again last week, and indicated that Mondelez would be willing to offer up to $115 per share for Hershey, according to a source familiar with the discussions who asked not to be identified because they were confidential.
- Sycamore Partners confirms bid for bankrupt Aeropostale
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:11:35 -0400 -
Sycamore Partners on Monday confirmed it submitted a bid for Aeropostale Inc after a judge issued an opinion rejecting the teen-focused retailer's attempt to block an offer and blame its bankruptcy on the private equity firm. Aeropostale owes $151 million to two Sycamore affiliates, Aero Investors LLC and MGF Sourcing Holdings Ltd, and had sought to preempt a credit bid by them. A representative for Sycamore said the firm made an offer for Aeropostale at the retailer's auction on Monday but declined to say if the offer was a credit bid.
- EU to hand Apple Irish tax bill of $1.1 billion, source says
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:18:08 -0400 -
The European Commission will rule against Ireland's tax dealings with Apple on Tuesday, two source familiar with the decision told Reuters, one of whom said Dublin would be told to recoup over 1 billion euros in back taxes. The Commission declined to comment on Monday. The European Commission accused Ireland in 2014 of dodging international tax rules by letting Apple shelter profits worth tens of billions of dollars from tax collectors in return for maintaining jobs.
- Boeing keeps jetliner prices steady amid slowing sales
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:06:19 -0400 -
Boeing Co said on Monday it will refrain from increasing jetliner prices for the first time since 2009 as the industry grapples with a slowdown in new plane sales. "Boeing will continue to quote July 2015 base prices in 2016," company spokesman Doug Alder said in an email to Reuters. Airlines typically negotiate steep discounts from the list prices that Boeing and rival plane maker Airbus quote publicly, leaving the list prices as largely symbolic.
- European Commission says 'ball still rolling' on trade deal with U.S.
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:37:19 -0400 -
The European Union's executive said on Monday it had a unanimous mandate from the bloc's 28 members to finalize negotiations on a free trade deal with the United States, a day after Germany's economy minister said the talks had "de facto failed". Sigmar Gabriel of Germany, the EU's biggest economy, said on Sunday that negotiations over the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) had failed because Europe rejected some U.S. demands. Asked to comment on Gabriel's remarks, a European Commission spokesman said: "The ball is still rolling" on TTIP.
- Valeant is sued over Philidor ties, alleged racketeering
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:41:07 -0400 -
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc was sued on Monday by buyers of its drugs, who accused the Canadian company of racketeering by forcing them to pay exorbitant prices. The proposed class-action complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court in Manhattan on behalf of unionized New York City police detectives and hotel workers, regarding Valeant's ties to the now defunct specialty pharmacy Philidor RX Services LLC. The plaintiffs accused Valeant of violating the U.S. Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, and seeks compensatory and triple damages for U.S. health plans and others that bought its drugs from January 2013 to October 2015.
- Solid U.S. consumer spending boosts prospect of Fed rate hike
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:34:08 -0400 -
U.S. consumer spending increased for a fourth straight month in July amid strong demand for automobiles, pointing to a pickup in economic growth that could pave the way for the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates this year. Monday's report from the Commerce Department came several days after Fed Chair Janet Yellen said the case for raising rates had strengthened in recent months. The Commerce Department said that consumer spending, which accounts for more than two-thirds of U.S. economic activity, rose 0.3 percent last month after a 0.5 percent gain in June.
- United Airlines hires No. 2 at American to be its president
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:42:17 -0400 -
The move, effective immediately, is the latest attempt by United's reshuffled board and new Chief Executive Officer Oscar Munoz to shape a new strategy and boost the airline's stock price. United has lagged other U.S. carriers in on-time arrivals and profit margins, though its results have recently improved. American's Chief Operating Officer Robert Isom will replace Kirby as that company's president, American said in a news release.
- R.I.P. Gene Wilder, who brought both chocolate and meme factories to life
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:58:09 -0400 -
The legendary comedian dazzled on screen in the 1960s and '70s and continued to play a starring role in viral memes online in recent years.
- Barb from 'Stranger Things' gets a very Barb-like toy tribute
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:30:58 -0400 -
Toy maker Funko crafts a Barb figure prototype from "Stranger Things" in its signature Pop Vinyl style -- complete with eyeglasses, pink ruffled blouse and a purple Trapper Keeper -- in hopes to make the real deal for collectors.
- Stop procrastinating: Signing emails is now a necessity
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:24:40 -0400 -
If employees don't digitally sign all outgoing emails, Jack Wallen says your company and customer base is at risk. He explains why signing emails has reached critical importance.
- It took 1,000 hours to 3D print and build this awesome life-size Stargate
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:14:30 -0400 -
This impressive replica took over 2,000 parts and 1,000 hours to create, without any help from distant aliens.
- Another reason to keep your tires properly inflated: Wildfires
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:29:42 -0400 -
One woman's insistence on driving on the rim actually started a pretty gnarly wildfire in California.
- This new battery innovation could speed EV charging, extend range
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:19:47 -0400 -
Researchers at Northwestern University believe they've constructed a material that encompasses the best of both batteries and supercapacitors.
- Watch Apple's next iPhone unveiling via live stream September 7
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:58:35 -0400 -
Enjoy the upcoming long holiday weekend, but then get ready to mourn the possible end of the headphone jack. Watch it all unfold live next Wednesday at 10 a.m. PT.
- What to expect when Apple reveals the iPhone 7 on Sept. 7
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:47:13 -0400 -
Apple has set the date for its iPhone 7 event, where the company may also debut a new Apple Watch. Here's what the next models could hold in store.
- Fiber channel networking: The smart person's guide
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:31:14 -0400 -
Fiber channel networking is a different yet similar world compared to Ethernet networking. Learn the basics before implementing a storage-area network.
- See what's inside those shrieking rubber chickens from hell
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:17:56 -0400 -
There's a secret hidden inside every squawking chicken toy, and the team behind YouTube channel What's Inside is determined to find it.
- Can a Galaxy Note 7 frozen in ice survive a 100-foot drop?
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:08:36 -0400 -
Watch as Samsung's large-screen phone gets the ultimate durability test with only ice to protect it from an impressive height.
- Apple sends invites for September 7: iPhone 7, Apple Watch 2 most likely on tap
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:05:16 -0400 -
Rumored no longer: The company sent out invitations for its event, confirming the date of Apple's next product announcement.
- Two state election databases hacked, FBI warns
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:59:49 -0400 -
The attacks by suspected foreign hackers, said to target Arizona and Illinois, lead the bureau to urge election officials to beef up their computer systems' security.
- Smashing a mirror with a hammer in slo-mo brings dazzling destruction
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:35:58 -0400 -
In this YouTube video of a hammer hitting a looking glass, it's as if Thor got mad at his own face while shaving.
- Quantity over quality: China's booming EV industry might be ready to bust
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:34:45 -0400 -
New regulations and looming government decisions could whittle some 200 electric automakers down to just 10.
- Facebook's Zuckerberg is almost ready to show off his AI
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:18:05 -0400 -
In September, we'll get to see what else Mark Zuckerberg's AI system can do aside from make toast.
- New 'Westworld' trailer rides into town with a sense of dread
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:11:36 -0400 -
Something bad is happening in a futuristic theme park filled with robotic cowboys in the full-length trailer for the HBO series "Westworld."
- Fitbit Blaze update adds third-party notifications, new watch faces
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:07:51 -0400 -
The update also brings along new move reminders to help keep you active throughout the day.
- Un video aclara por qué Thor no apareció en 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:56:44 -0400 -
Ya está disponible 'online' el cortometraje 'Team Thor', hilarante parodia estrenada en la Comic-Con 2016 de San Diego, realizada por el director de 'Thor: Ragnarok'.
- For one Syrian refugee, close, but no asylum
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:51:00 -0400 -
Commentary: For Road Trip 2016, I met asylum seekers in Sweden and Finland on the doorstep of a dream. But for some, the door is closed.
- Microsoft says MacBook is as useful as a hat for your cat
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:26:13 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: A new ad for the Surface Pro 4 suggests Apple's MacBook isn't too useful.
- The BMW super-coupe rumor mill says to keep your eyes peeled in 2019
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:16:26 -0400 -
Faced with sales well below the competition, BMW's reportedly reinvigorating its large-luxury lineup with a "sporty two door."
- Apple sued by iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners over touchscreen problems
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:10:18 -0400 -
Users are reporting a display defect that makes the phone screen unresponsive.
- 3 jobs that big data projects affect in major ways
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:06:05 -0400 -
Big data projects are transforming how some employees do their jobs, and not all workers are happy about these changes.
- Big updates, mid-size trucks: Canyon, Colorado twins receive new V-6 for 2017
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:06:03 -0400 -
Were you randomly holding out for a new V-6 and a transmission with more gears? If so, today's your lucky day.
- Survey says: Infiniti, Mercedes owners most likely to embrace automation
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:05:28 -0400 -
Robot Jesus, take the wheel.
- Google unveils showcase games for indie developers conference
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:00:03 -0400 -
Half of the games chosen for exhibition are in very limited beta and not yet available to the general public.
- This might be the worst 'Bigfoot' sighting video of all time
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:54:52 -0400 -
Prepare yourself for a good laugh when you see this awful footage of something that might be the legendary Bigfoot.
- Try this, Thor! Spider-Man star flips through air like a real gymnast
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:43:33 -0400 -
British actor Tom Holland, who'll play the web-crawler in the 2017 movie, shared an Instagram shot of an impressive-looking flip on a half-constructed set.
- Laptop pioneer John Ellenby dies
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:37:05 -0400 -
The Grid Compass, introduced in 1982, was the first portable computer with the now-familiar clamshell design.