- Fed expected to push ahead with rate hike plan
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 01:03:16 -0400 -
The Federal Reserve is expected on Wednesday to point to a growing U.S. economy and stronger job market as it sets the stage for a possible interest rate hike in September. The U.S. central bank is scheduled to issue its latest policy statement at 2 p.m. EDT following a two-day meeting, spelling out how policymakers feel the economy has progressed since they last met in June. Earlier this year the Fed embraced a meeting-by-meeting approach on the timing of what will be its first rate hike since June 2006, making such a decision solely dependent on incoming economic data.
- Upbeat earnings lift European stocks ahead of Fed
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 04:56:00 -0400 -
European equities advanced on Wednesday, spurred by strong corporate earnings and gains in U.S. and Asian markets on hopes that Beijing could stem the rout in its markets without damage to the world's second biggest economy. The euro, the dollar and the yen held steady as caution reigned before a policy decision from the U.S. Federal Reserve. Against the calmer backdrop in financial markets, the pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index rose 0.8 percent after carmaker Peugeot reported first-half net income for the first time in four years.
- Health insurer Anthem profit rises 17.5 percent
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:34:37 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Health insurer Anthem Inc reported a 17.5 percent rise in quarterly earnings helped by strong performance in its commercial and government businesses.
- Twitter shares fall as growth of monthly users slows
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:11:39 -0400 -
"This is unacceptable and we're not happy about it," Jack Dorsey, who stepped in as interim chief executive on July 1, said on a call with analysts. Twitter said it had 304 million core users in the second quarter, up from 302 million in the prior quarter. Twitter's struggles to increase its audience worries investors, who are focused on the company's growth potential, and the latest figures did little to reassure them.
- Microsoft launches much-awaited Windows 10
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:29:50 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp launched its much-awaited Windows 10 operating system at midnight on Wednesday. Windows 10, which comes almost three years after the launch of the company's last operating system, will be available as a free upgrade in 190 countries for users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 operating systems, the company said. (http://bit.ly/1LR49yp) The new operating system is designed to work across laptops, desktop and smartphones and is part of Chief Executive Satya Nadella's push towards winning back lost ground in the tablets and mobile arena. ...
- Greek PM says may have to call early election
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 07:16:30 -0400 -
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said on Wednesday he may be forced to call an early election if he does not have a working parliamentary majority. "I would be the last person to want elections, if I had the secured parliamentary majority to make it through to the end of the four-year term," he said in a local radio interview.
- GM to invest $1 billion in India, double market share by 2020
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 05:07:54 -0400 -
General Motors Co will invest $1 billion in the next few years to turn operations in India into a new global auto manufacturing and export hub aimed at boosting sales in fast-growing emerging markets, top executives said on Wednesday. The investment is part of GM's plan to invest $5 billion over several years to develop a global family of Chevrolet vehicles with Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp (SAIC), the state-owned Chinese automaker that is GM's primary partner in China. GM Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra said at a briefing in New Delhi that the investment in India was expected to create 12,000 jobs at the company and its suppliers in Asia's third-largest economy.
- India's SpiceJet in talks with Boeing, Airbus for $11 billion jet deal
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 03:41:44 -0400 -
Indian budget airline SpiceJet Ltd is in talks with Boeing Co and Airbus Group to acquire about 100 new narrow-body jets, its chief financial officer said on Wednesday, in a deal that would be worth about $11 billion at list prices. SpiceJet wants to buy more Airbus A320neo and Boeing 737 Max aircraft, Kiran Koteshwar told Reuters, as it looks to rebuild its business after almost collapsing last year. "We have to place an order so we have a long-term business plan in place.
- Going for Gold(man): UK bank analyst pay tops out at 71,000 pounds
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 05:36:01 -0400 -
Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are offering the fattest bonuses to their London analysts, but if it's a high base salary you're after then head to Deutsche Bank , according to a survey on Wednesday. Analysts, the lowest position on the investment banking ladder, could expect to receive an average annual bonus of 20,000 pounds ($31,000) from the two U.S. banks, according to a survey by pay data website Emolument.com. Meanwhile, Deutsche Bank paid the largest average salary excluding bonus, at 56,000 pounds.
- Belgium's Solvay to buy U.S. peer Cytec for $5.5 billion
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:55:03 -0400 -
Belgian chemical group Solvay has agreed to buy U.S. peer Cytec for $5.5 billion, giving it a bigger presence in the lightweight materials business where demand from the aerospace industry is booming. Solvay said in a statement on Wednesday it would pay $75.25 per share for Cytec, which closed at $58.39 on Tuesday. Solvay Chief Executive Jean-Pierre Clamadieu said the acquisition was justified by Cytec's growth potential in aerospace markets.
- Facebook told to stop forcing people to use their real names
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 05:25:00 -0400 -
A German data watchdog has told Facebook it has to let it users choose pseudonyms if they like.
- LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 04:10:00 -0400 -
- Nokia to target content creators with Ozo VR camera launch
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 03:41:32 -0400 -
Nokia will be launching its Ozo virtual reality camera as its first digital media solution from its Nokia Technologies portfolio.
- Microsoft now rolling out free Windows 10 upgrades
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:40:00 -0400 -
- GoDaddy launches in Australia to target small businesses
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:34:51 -0400 -
After using Australia as a pilot market, GoDaddy has formally launched locally and has appointed Tara Commerford as the Australia and New Zealand country manager.
- Have Microsoft blown it? Part II
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:06:00 -0400 -
I suggested last week that Microsoft Office was approaching obsolescence, rooted in archaic paper Victorian work practices. In response to some of the comments and debate last week here are some further thoughts on my rationale
- Black Vine: Anthem hackers share zero-days with rival cyberattackers
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 01:48:31 -0400 -
The group behind the disastrous Anthem hack is believed to be part of a zero-day sharing network.
- Twitter's problems could hurt SF Mayor's re-election
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 01:32:00 -0400 -
If Twitter falters it could damage San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's political ambitions and add to a growing backlash against the tech community.
- This Netherlands bank lets you use your voice as your password
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 01:29:00 -0400 -
- Queensland government open to Uber operating
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 01:28:55 -0400 -
The Queensland government has said that it will be reviewing its taxi strategy later in the year, and has not ruled out the co-existence of taxis and Uber services on the state's roads.
- Amazon dreams of drones-only airspace
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 00:55:53 -0400 -
How do you combat drone safety worries? Dedicate airspace purely for commercial drones to operate.
- Japanese scientists fire the world's most powerful laser
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 00:34:00 -0400 -
- Windows 10: You've got questions, I've got answers
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 00:00:00 -0400 -
There's more to Windows 10 than just the revamped Start menu. I've been keeping this FAQ up to date throughout the Preview program. Here are the latest details, now that Windows10 has been officially released.
- This Arduino Basic Kit has everything a newbie maker could ask for
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 23:31:00 -0400 -
- Nokia's virtual reality camera is designed for filmmakers
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 23:20:00 -0400 -
- Qualcomm's wireless charging tech now works on metal phones
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 22:06:00 -0400 -
- What's on your HDTV: 'Review', 'American Summer', 'Reading Rainbow'
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 21:19:00 -0400 -
- ANU to take world wide web lead for Australia
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:47:59 -0400 -
The Australian National University has been selected to host the W3C Australian chapter, with the Canberra-based office hoping to play a significant role in guiding the future of the web.
- Walmart selling $100 tablet with free Windows 10 upgrade
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:44:13 -0400 -
Windows 10 is the next big thing, and those wanting to try it on a small tablet should check out the Nextbook Flexx 8 for $99.99 at Walmart.
- White House speeds up (and opens up) online petitions
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:34:00 -0400 - The White House's We the People site is supposed to help the government hear your calls for change, but that isn't quite how it worked out: backlogs meant that it took ages to respond to petitions. You'll ...
- Mercy Increases Patient Health with Technology
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:29:53 -0400 -
With its new Daily Visit Planner tool and additional technological advancements, Mercy has helped over 300,000 patients for 50 clinical measures and 9 disease states. Health leaders now have easy, fast access to actionable insight for a diverse amount of treatment settings. In addition, the organization can help cut unnecessary healthcare steps to save money and improve outcomes for patients.
- Netflix schedules loads of new shows, says why 'Lilyhammer' died
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:12:00 -0400 - You won't have to wonder about when Netflix will start streaming much of its its exclusive and original programming -- the company has provided scheduling for seemingly all of it in one shot. To begin ...
- Pentagon shuts down Joint Chiefs' email network
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:41:00 -0400 - The Department of Defense reportedly shut down an unclassified email system on Tuesday after detecting "suspicious activity" over the weekend, according to CNN. The network served General Martin ...
- Singtel upgrading 4G network to hit 337Mbps in Singapore
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:25:04 -0400 -
Singapore's largest telco has switched on its 4G+ network, announcing plans to roll it out to shopping malls, new residential areas, and train tunnels.
- Telstra extends streaming service with launch of Telstra TV
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:24:00 -0400 -
Telstra has partnered with Roku to bring Telstra TV to the market, which will give customers access to Netflix, Presto, and Stan.
- Redefining Big Data
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:41:53 -0400 - If we're going to nominate a buzzword for 2015, big data is already a major contender for the title. It seems to be all the rage these days -- the promises are huge -- yet very few businesses are leveraging big data well. The challenge that most business leaders face with big data isn't the numbers or even the analysis -- at its core, the math...
- CBS plans to livestream Super Bowl commercials for the first time
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:41:00 -0400 -
- The algorithms behind the rules of attraction
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:39:03 -0400 -
With so many people using online dating sites and app, can algorithms really determine whether the next person will be 'the one'?
- Cult film 'Hawk the Slayer' gets a sequel with help from Rebellion
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 18:14:00 -0400 - When Hawk the Slayer came out in 1980, Jason Kingsley became an instant fan. The film features magic swords, elven mindstones, giants, dwarves, sorcerers and a massive battle between pure evil and noble ...
- HBO Now comes to Verizon's internet customers
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:59:00 -0400 - Cablevision isn't the only big US internet provider offering HBO Now -- Verizon* is also joining the fray. Anyone with broadband on Big Red can now use their existing account to sign up for the cord cutter ...