- GM posts higher-than-expected profit on strong N. American demand
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:45:04 -0400 -
By Ben Klayman and Bernie Woodall DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co on Thursday reported a higher-than-expected profit in the third quarter and said it had strong demand for its redesigned full-size pickup trucks in North America. "Solid results really continue to be driven by strength in North America and China," GM Chief Financial Officer Chuck Stevens told reporters at the company's Detroit headquarters. "Clearly, high transaction prices - the new trucks and SUVs are more profitable than the ones they replace - that certainly helps," he added. The stock rose 2.5 percent to $32. ...
- Wall St. set to open higher on Caterpillar, 3M results
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:58:26 -0400 -
By Ryan Vlastelica NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stock index futures pointed to a higher open on Thursday as a number of strong results, including from a pair of Dow components, reassured investors that corporations continued to fare well despite concerns about global economic growth. Both Caterpillar Inc and 3M Co rose in premarket trading following their results, with heavy machinery maker Caterpillar also raising its full-year profit view. Shares of Caterpillar rose 3.6 percent to $97.98 while 3M added 2.1 percent to $141.80. ...
- Caterpillar profit beats view, raises outlook; shares gain
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:44:02 -0400 -
By James B. Kelleher (Reuters) - Caterpillar Inc shares jumped more than 6 percent in premarket trading after the company reported a stronger-than-expected quarterly profit and boosted its 2014 profit outlook, citing strong demand for its products in North America. Excluding restructuring costs, Caterpillar said it now expects to earn $6.50 a share in 2014, against an original estimate of $5.85. ...
- GT Advanced settles with Apple, to exit sapphire production
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:32:49 -0400 -
(Reuters) - GT Advanced Technologies Inc said it reached an agreement with Apple Inc , under which GT will exit sapphire materials production. GT will shut down its factories in Mesa, Arizona and Salem, Massachusetts, the company said in a statement on Thursday. Under the terms of the agreement, GT will be released from all exclusivity obligations with Apple and a mechanism will be provided for the iPhone maker to recover its $439 million pre-payment to GT, without interest. (Reporting by Sayantani Ghosh in Bangalore; Editing by Saumyadeb Chakrabarty)
- U.S. jobless claims data point to firming labor market
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:58:59 -0400 -
By Lucia Mutikani WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits rose last week, but the underlying trend firmly pointed to strengthening labor market conditions. Initial claims for state unemployment benefits increased 17,000 to a seasonally adjusted 283,000 for the week ended Oct. 18, the Labor Department said on Thursday. That followed three straight weeks of declines, which had pushed claims to levels last seen in 2000. Last week's increase was in line with economists' expectations. ...
- Comcast reports higher quarterly revenue, profit
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:54:04 -0400 -
By Jennifer Saba NEW YORK (Reuters) - Comcast Corp reported on Thursday higher quarterly revenue and income as more people signed up for its high speed Internet service. Total revenue at the largest U.S. cable operator, which owns NBC Universal, rose to $16.79 billion in the third quarter, up 4 percent from the year-ago period. Analysts had been expecting $16.81 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. Comcast said it added 315,000 net high speed Internet subscribers, a 5.8 percent uptick over the same period. ...
- U.S. prosecutors probe Takata Corp over statements: WSJ
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:10:45 -0400 -
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. federal prosecutors are trying to determine whether Japanese auto parts maker Takata Corp misled U.S. regulators about the number of defective air bags it sold to automakers, including Toyota Motor Corp and Honda Motor Co Ltd , The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday. Word of the investigation follows a notice on Tuesday from the U.S. auto regulator, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which increased the number of cars potentially affected by defective air bags made by Takata to at least 7.8 million, up from the roughly 4. ...
- Business activity improves in China, euro zone but little sign of turnaround
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:47:09 -0400 -
By Jonathan Cable and Koh Gui Qing LONDON/BEIJING (Reuters) - Euro zone businesses performed much better than forecasters expected this month and China's vast factory sector grew a shade faster but there were worrying signs that the upturn could be short-lived. ...
- Tesco scraps profit outlook as accounting black hole deepens
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:23:38 -0400 -
By James Davey and Neil Maidment LONDON (Reuters) - Tesco reported a bigger than expected hole in its finances on Thursday after finding accounting mistakes had gone back further than initially thought, forcing Britain’s biggest grocer to scrap its full-year profit outlook. Tesco, once the unstoppable juggernaut of the British retail sector, has lost half of its market value this year after the accounting misstatement compounded earlier profit warnings to create a sense of panic at Britain's biggest private employer. Chief Executive Dave Lewis, drafted in on Sept. ...
- Pilots propose talks with Lufthansa over pay, retirement benefits
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:24:25 -0400 -
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - German pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) has proposed restarting talks with Lufthansa over pay and early retirement benefits but does not rule out further strikes during the negotiations. The dispute has resulted in eight strikes at Lufthansa this year, the latest one lasting for 30 hours earlier this week and affecting thousands of passengers. In a sign of movement in the row, the union has now proposed talks led by a mediator, it said in a letter seen by Reuters. In response, Lufthansa said it was pleased that VC had signaled it wished to enter talks. ...
- Social Security benefits to go up by 1.7 percent
- Tue, 16 Oct 2012 10:56:07 -0400 -
More than 56 million Social Security recipients will see their monthly payments go up by 1.7 percent next year.
- Christian Bale confirmed to play Steve Jobs in Sorkin biopic
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:25:30 -0400 -
Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has confirmed the "Dark Knight" actor will go from Gotham to Silicon Valley in a new biopic of the Apple co-founder.>
- Fly, you fools! 'Hobbit' stars take off in epic airline safety video
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:01:07 -0400 -
Elijah Wood, Sylvester McCoy and Peter Jackson are the fellowship of the wing in Air New Zealand's "Most Epic Safety Video Ever Made".>
- Tomorrow Daily 073: Robot actors, the return of LED 'stickman baby,' and more
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:53:19 -0400 -
On today's show, we check out a gadget for your shoe that might help you escape a bad date, this year's updates to the "stickman baby" Halloween costume, and a robot actor in a Kafka-inspired performance.>
- Apple dumps SSL 3.0 for push notifications due to Poodle flaw
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:50:59 -0400 -
Apple will switch to the TLS encryption standard after disclosure of vulnerability that could expose encrypted data.>
- 3 Signs of You Becoming a Thought Leader
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:13:41 -0400 - The phrase thought leader instantly sparks up names like Timothy Ferriss, Guy Kawasaki, and all the successful bloggers throughout the World. I'm not keen on considering myself as a thought leader, but I do seem to have quite the community behind my name to support that claim, that's always nice!Thought leaders don't get manufactured overnight,...
- 5 Secrets to Building a Successful Mobile Application
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:44:38 -0400 - The mobile industry will forever change how we consume information around the World, unsurprisingly - we will probably experience similar changes to local communities, neighborhoods. I just read an article that says that the mobile gaming industry will soon overtake console gaming market, I wonder what those investors are starting to feel...
- Camera made from one tiny Lego brick actually works
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:34:05 -0400 -
A simple hack turns an itsy-bitsy Lego brick into a working pinhole camera that turns out photos minifigs can enjoy.>
- Zuckerberg delights audience in Beijing with Mandarin prowess
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 01:27:42 -0400 -
The Facebook founder and CEO speaks for 30 minutes in Mandarin at a question and answer session and talks about his company's plans to engage its largest untapped market.>
- iPad Air 2 has a smaller battery, iFixit finds
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:30:05 -0400 -
The one new feature you didn't expect from Apple's iPad Air 2? iFixit says the new device has a battery that's 15 percent smaller, yet Apple claims it still gets the same battery life.>
- Target offers free holiday shipping, wish lists for the first time
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:12:45 -0400 -
The increasing reach of Amazon has brick-and-mortar retailers changing their game plans. The latest is Target, who for the first time is offering free shipping.>
- Uber drivers kick off 'Global Day of Protest'
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:50:08 -0400 -
The ride-sharing app's drivers in the US and London are complaining about fee hikes, fare cuts and the lack of a tip option.>
- NASA's new Soundcloud album: Listen to the exploration of space
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 21:33:11 -0400 -
NASA has created an album of sounds on Soundcloud, including rocket launches, recordings from space shuttle missions and even a song about water on the moon.>
- Check out these great music streaming apps for Windows Phone
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:47:12 -0400 -
Many of the best music streaming for mobile devices are also available on Windows Phone. Here are some of my favorites.>
- Sprint undercuts AT&T, Verizon with $20, 1GB family data plan
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:20:18 -0400 -
At $20, Sprint is offering twice as much data as Verizon and more than three times the data as AT&T.>
- Sonos sues Denon for 'copying' its wireless products
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:18:35 -0400 -
Sonos has announced it is suing competitor Denon as it says the company's HEOS products are too similar to Sonos' own and infringe on at least four of its patents.>
- Vintage Apple computer built by Woz sells for whopping $750,000
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:54:37 -0400 -
One of the 50 original Apple-1 computers built by Steve Wozniak himself goes for three quarters of a million dollars at auction.>
- Unity appoints former Electronic Arts chief Riccitiello as new CEO
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:48:31 -0400 -
John Riccitiello, who helmed publisher and game maker EA, now leads the fast-growing company behind multi-platform gaming software.>
- Rhapsody revives CEO position, hires mobile vet as interim chief
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:34:54 -0400 -
The streaming-music forefather, often overshadowed by flashier rivals like Spotify or Apple's Beats Music, says growth is gangbusters enough to revive the position of CEO after a four-year absence.>
- That iPad Air 2 can be yours -- today, even
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:19:17 -0400 -
Apple said its new tablets would launch later this week, but stores across the country already have the Wi-Fi models of the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3.>
- Apple defeats GPNE's $94M patent-infringement claim
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:08:27 -0400 -
A San Jose jury rules against the nonpracticing entity, which had accused Apple of infringing its mobile device technology.>
- AT&T third-quarter profit falls short even as it adds 2M wireless customers
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:32:21 -0400 -
The company's growth was driven largely by connected devices like the connected car, but there was also a healthy mix of smartphone and tablet growth.>
- Apple Pay sees problems as users get charged twice
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:09:18 -0400 -
Bank of America apologizes for a glitch that's causing duplicate Apple Pay charges. Also, Google creates a new app for organizing email, and Google users can give their accounts extra protection with USB security keys.>
- Will You Be Ready for the Next Recession?
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:32:36 -0400 - In the years leading up to December 2007 there was a growing chorus declaring the end of business cycles. Clearly, business cycles have not gone away, and new research shows that the nature of recessions has changed in troubling ways. We can't predict when the next one will come, but those who fall in its wake will face a tough road to...
- Beyond tweets: Twitter weaves new approach to mobile apps
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:31:38 -0400 -
The social network wants developers to use its tools to make mobile apps, while also integrating its service along the way.>
- I Tried the Next Level in Wearable Tech
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:22:40 -0400 - Wearable Tech is probably one of the hottest phrases out right now. Companies on both the fashion and tech side are racing to get into the game, each entrant hoping that it has the ticket to mass consumer adoption. Microsoft just announced this week that it will introduce a product shortly, and even the mighty LVMH has said that one of its...
- Samsung enables 1-click purchases for app store
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:15:05 -0400 -
Smartphone giant now lets users pay via their phone bills. No credit card necessary.>
- The 404 Show 1,569: ApplePay double-charging, Hendo hoverboard, Breaking Bad toys (podcast)
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:05:12 -0400 -
Bridget Carey returns to the show to talk about ApplePay double-charging some Bank of America customers, a new Kickstarter for a company that created a working hoverboard and the recent controversy over Toys R Us selling Breaking Bad action figures.>
- This is how NASA banishes odors in space
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:02:04 -0400 -
How do space agencies keep the International Space Station from smelling like a sweaty locker room? NASA engineer Robert Frost and retired astronaut Clayton C. Anderson reveal a few secrets.>
- Once You THINC It, INC It: Great Scott's Modern-Day Guide for Young Entrepreneurs on Growing and Navigating as a Brand
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:39:19 -0400 -
"Do not follow your dreams -- follow your efforts. Follow the things that you do organically."--THINCMarketer and social media strategist Scott "Great Scott" McKenzie has released his third book (and very first audio book), titled THINC: Once You THINC It, INC It, produced by Sirius XM associate producer Jameson Bennett. Scott is a seasoned...