- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 23:16:29 -0400 -
A quartet of technology heavyweights will be part of an avalanche of quarterly corporate earnings reports next week that, along with a meeting of Federal Reserve policymakers, could hold the key to whether Wall Street extends its record-breaking rally or loses steam. With second-quarter reporting season kicking into high gear, scorecards from Apple , Alphabet , Amazon.com and Facebook will be front and center for investors eyeing the S&P 500's already-stretched valuation following a nearly 9-percent rally since June 27. "These are very widely owned companies by institutional investors and there could be selling if the news is bad," said Tim Ghriskey, chief investment officer of Solaris Group in Bedford Hills, New York.
- U.S. government's bid to block insurance mergers could spawn new ones
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:24:53 -0400 -
The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday sued to block Aetna Inc's $37 billion purchase of Humana Inc and Anthem Inc’s proposed $54 billion buyout of Cigna Corp , arguing that they would cut competition and boost rates for patients. The most obvious targets are midsized, national players in government healthcare plans such as Centene Corp , Molina Healthcare Inc , or WellCare Health Plans Inc , according to analysts and investors.
- Verizon emerges as front-runner in Yahoo auction: sources
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:29:17 -0400 -
Yahoo Inc is focusing on U.S. telecommunications company Verizon Communications Inc as the buyer of its core business after reviewing final bids that it received this week, people familiar with the matter said on Friday. A deal would boost Verizon's AOL internet business, which the company acquired last year for $4.4 billion, by giving it access to Yahoo's advertising technology tools, as well other assets such as search, mail, messenger and real estate. The sale would also mark the end of Yahoo as an operating company, leaving it only as the owner of a 35.5 percent stake in Yahoo Japan, as well as its 15 percent interest in Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba Group Holding Ltd .
- Eyes on Fed, BOJ, Europe's bank stress test
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:18:42 -0400 -
Central banks from Washington to Tokyo take center stage next week, although policymakers are likely to remain cautious as they wait for the dust to settle from Britain's shock vote to leave the EU. As they wait for political reassurances and greater clarity over the likely impact of the move, central banks have mostly avoided action since Britain's June 23 referendum, calming jittery markets with verbal assurances but leaving the burden on governments to chart a path. Indeed, the U.S. Federal Reserve is all but certain to keep interest rates on hold on Wednesday, acknowledging improved economic prospects but offering few hints about its next move, keen to avoid repeating its past mistake of stoking rate hike expectations.
- G20 nations must boost coordination, redouble efforts to support growth
- Sat, 23 Jul 2016 04:22:03 -0400 -
The world's leading economies will step up efforts to lift global economic growth and share the benefits more broadly, top policymakers meeting in China said on Saturday, as they seek to counter growing dissatisfaction with globalization. Finance ministers and central bankers from the Group of 20 are huddling in China's southwestern city of Chengdu to discuss how to confront global challenges exacerbated by Britain's decision to leave the European Union. The specter of protectionism, highlighted by U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's "America First" rhetoric and talk of pulling out of trade agreements, also hangs over the meeting.
- Fiat Chrysler recalling 410,000 vehicles
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:57:04 -0400 -
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV said on Friday it is recalling nearly 410,000 vehicles worldwide because of a defect that can lead to a loss of propulsion. The automaker said it will update software and replace wire harnesses to address the electronic issue that appears in a small number of vehicles. The recall includes 2015 model Chrysler 200 midsize sedans, Ram ProMaster City small vans, Jeep Renegade and Cherokee SUVs and some 2014 Cherokees.
- Hershey Trust reaches in-principle reform agreement
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:16:30 -0400 -
It could also offer the clarity needed for Mondelez International Inc to make a new approach to acquire Hershey. The $12 billion trust, set up by company founder Milton Hershey over a century ago to fund and run a school for underprivileged children, must approve any sale of the company. It rejected a $23 billion cash-and-stock offer for Hershey by Mondelez, the maker of Oreo and Cadbury chocolate, last month.
- JPMorgan to stop settling government securities for dealers
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:43:01 -0400 -
JPMorgan Chase & Co will stop settling U.S. government securities transactions for most dealers by the end of next year as it streamlines its business, the bank said on Friday. The change would leave BNY Mellon Corp as the only clearing bank for such transactions between dealers and investors. In the first six months of 2016, an average of $504 billion of U.S. Treasuries changed hands per day, down slightly from a daily average of $507 billion for the same year-earlier period, according to data from the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association.
- Unsecured creditors seek quick end to Sports Authority bankruptcy
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:50:49 -0400 -
Unsecured creditors of the bankrupt retailer Sports Authority are seeking to convert the case to a quick liquidation, saying in a Friday court filing the company should not waste its dwindling funds preparing a plan to end its Chapter 11. The Englewood, Colorado-based chain entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy with 464 stores in March and hoped to sell some locations as an ongoing business. The largest U.S. sporting goods retailer, Dick's Sporting Goods Inc , acquired the Sports Authority name and other intellectual property at a June auction.
- Whirlpool's biggest challenge is rapid changes in global markets: CEO
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:23:10 -0400 -
Whirlpool Corp's biggest challenge in the last year has been managing rapid change and currency volatility in global markets such as turmoil after Britain's vote to leave the European Union, Chief Executive Officer Jeff Fettig said in an interview on Friday. Britain, where Whirlpool records about $1 billion in revenues, this summer voted to leave the European Union in a vote known as Brexit. A weak pound will reduce revenue and profit, meanwhile the cost to import appliances from other European Union countries, where they are largely manufactured, rises, Fettig said.
- Dinklage, Clark get tongue-tied in new 'Game of Thrones' blooper reel
- Sat, 23 Jul 2016 01:57:35 -0400 -
"Game of Thrones" outtakes newly released at Comic-Con catch the stars of the show laughing, and cursing, their way through their on-camera flubs.
- Kaine you even? Tim Kaine could be the punniest VP pick ever
- Sat, 23 Jul 2016 01:55:31 -0400 -
Puns fly on Twitter as Hillary Clinton names Kaine her vice presidential candidate of choice. Or is that Kaindidate?
- 'Project Sonic 2017' is coming to Xbox One, PS4 and Nintendo NX
- Sat, 23 Jul 2016 01:20:00 -0400 -
- Celeb hacker who stole nude images gets six months in prison
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 23:59:00 -0400 -
- Paramount signs up to release more movies with DTS:X audio
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 23:44:00 -0400 -
- 'Sonic Mania' looks like the 2D sequel fans deserve
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 23:22:00 -0400 -
- Xenon detector finds no dark matter after 20-month study
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 22:05:00 -0400 -
- Hillary Clinton announces VP pick Tim Kaine on Twitter
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 21:33:21 -0400 -
The Democratic party's presumptive nominee for president of the United States says via a tweet late Friday that she picked Sen. Tim Kaine, underscoring the continued importance of social media in the campaign.
- Zombies and tigers star in new 'The Walking Dead' season 7 trailer
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:51:46 -0400 -
The next season of "The Walking Dead" looks grrreat thanks to King Ezekiel and his tiger. See more in the Comic-Con 2016 official trailer for the AMC show.
- The $100,000 Pokemon trading card you can buy on eBay
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:21:10 -0400 -
Die-hard Pokemon fans can collect this 'vintage' Pikachu trading card from 1998 for a cool six figures.
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:19:00 -0400 -
- El disfraz más loco e impresionante de San Diego Comic-Con
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:42:54 -0400 -
Con miles de disfraces espectaculares en la feria de cómics, éste del personaje Reinhardt Wilhelm del videojuego 'Overwatch' se lleva el premio.
- Deconstructing the legendary dungeons of 'Ocarina of Time'
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:22:00 -0400 -
- Wikileaks publishes thousands of DNC emails
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:39:00 -0400 -
- This $1.5 million Star Trek home theater is Trekkie heaven
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:31:43 -0400 -
A millionaire's mind-boggling Star Trek-themed theater took four years to build.
- RNC tweets spike Thursday night
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:23:59 -0400 -
Nielsen Social, which tracks Twitter activity around TV series and events, notes a flood of posts during Donald Trump's acceptance speech.
- 3D-printed 'Pokémon Go' cover aims for you, obscures screen
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:55:00 -0400 -
- World of Marvel's Black Panther expected to push diversity boundaries this November
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:53:47 -0400 -
Marvel is shining the spotlight on Black Panther's homeland in a new comic book series that focuses on black women, a rarity in the traditional comics space.
- 3D-printed iPhone case gives you perfect Pokemon aim every time
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:33:31 -0400 -
Level up your Pokemon-catching skills with an assist from a special iPhone case designed to guide your finger during Pokeball throws.
- Would you drink 63-day-old milk? Scientists would
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:29:18 -0400 -
Your cold milk could hang around a lot longer with the help of a new treatment process that radically extends its shelf life.
- 'Pokémon Go' has most first-week downloads in App Store history
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:53:00 -0400 -
- Snowden: 'I never thought I'd be saved' after NSA leaks
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:52:08 -0400 -
Speaking via an internet feed at San Diego Comic-Con, the former intelligence contractor talks about the aftermath of his bombshell disclosures on US government surveillance.
- NASA astronauts head underwater to simulate Mars missions
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:28:00 -0400 -
- Security bugs put Apple devices running iOS and Mac OS X at risk
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:03:00 -0400 -
- These are the Star Wars drones you're looking for
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:58:11 -0400 -
The Millennium Falcon takes flight in your living room, thanks to dronemaker Propel. Best yet, it shoots lasers.
- Signs point to Verizon as Yahoo's buyer
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:56:43 -0400 -
The communications giant, which also owns AOL, is named as the likely buyer of Yahoo, according to Bloomberg. The price: about $5 billion.
- Scientists find a way to make cells respond to stimuli
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:36:00 -0400 -
- They're creepy and they're colorized, 'The Addams Family'
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:27:33 -0400 -
Snap, snap! Watch beloved 1960s sitcoms blossom into color thanks to a die-hard fan of retro TV.
- Meet Graham, the hideous creature built to survive car crashes
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:16:01 -0400 -
Happy nightmares! Australian road-safety commission creates the perfect man for car-accident survival. Let's all be thankful we did not evolve in his image.
- Download the Chffr app for free to help self-driving cars learn
- Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:10:00 -0400 -