- Wall St. dips with health, consumer shares; gains for November
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:49:46 -0500 -
(Reuters) - U.S. stocks slipped on Monday, led by declines in health and consumer shares, as investors braced for policy news from central banks.
- U.S. Cyber Monday sales jump, high traffic leads to website outages
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:07:15 -0500 -
By Nandita Bose CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. online sales grew 14 percent on Cyber Monday, on track to set a record, leading some retail websites, like Target Corp's, to crash temporarily due to high customer traffic. Website outages and slow checkouts during the five-day shopping spree starting Thanksgiving Thursday, were also reported at PayPal Inc, department store chain Neiman Marcus, Wal-Mart Stores Inc, L Brands Inc's Victoria Secret, and at Foot Locker Inc. Sales on Cyber Monday, the busiest day of the year for internet shopping, were up 14 percent from a year earlier at $490 million between midnight to 10 a.m. ET, according to Adobe Digital Index, part of Adobe Systems Inc, which provides digital marketing and media solutions to merchants.
- Volkswagen, DOJ want diesel civil cases heard in Detroit
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:36:58 -0500 -
By David Shepardson WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG and the Justice Department want a U.S. judicial panel to centralize in Detroit hundreds of civil lawsuits alleging the German automaker defrauded consumers and shareholders, according to court filings. The U.S. Multi-District Litigation panel will hold a hearing Dec. 3 in New Orleans to determine if and where to consolidate more than 350 lawsuits that stem from the automaker's admission in September that it installed illegal software in nearly 500,000 vehicles to circumvent U.S. diesel emission tests. Earlier this month, U.S. regulators also said VW installed "defeat devices" to cheat emission standards in 85,000 larger cars and SUVs.
- FTC preparing to block Staples-Office Depot deal: NY Post
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:33:48 -0500 -
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) may again delay its decision on the deal, seeking more concessions from Staples, the Post reported, citing two people familiar with the matter. Two of the four FTC commissioners looking into the deal are believed to oppose it, the newspaper reported. Staples' shares fell 1.8 percent to $12.09 in afternoon trading, while Office Depot was down 1.8 percent at $6.63.
- Senate calls hearing in Anheuser-Busch InBev mega beer deal
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:58:27 -0500 -
Anheuser-Busch InBev's bid to buy its biggest rival, SABMiller, will be the subject of a U.S. Senate hearing next week, the Senate Judiciary Committee said on Monday. AB InBev, whose takeover of SABMiller would be one of the largest mergers in corporate history, formally announced early in November that it would buy SABMiller for $106 billion. The hearing will be held by the Judiciary Committee's antitrust subcommittee on Dec. 8, the committee said in a brief statement.
- The Great Divide: How markets are shaping up ahead of Fed, ECB
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 12:59:46 -0500 -
By Jamie McGeever LONDON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Reserve and European Central Bank are expected to deliver sharply contrasting policy decisions next month, reflecting how the world's two largest economies have moved from the Great Recession to the Great Divide. The U.S. and euro zone central banks have been on a similar path of monetary easing since the financial and economic crisis of 2007-09. The dollar and short-term U.S. bond yields have soared, while the euro and short-term euro zone bond yields have plunged.
- Foreign carmakers to keep price edge as Ford faces higher labor costs
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:13:19 -0500 -
Foreign automakers with plants in the United States will be able to offer lower vehicle prices as Ford Motor Co faces continued higher labor costs under a new four-year contract with its U.S. union workers. Ford said on Monday a labor cost gap of $8 to $10 per hour will remain with nonunion automakers such as Toyota Motor Corp and Hyundai Motor Co under the new labor deal. This will allow the foreign companies to offer more attractive options while keeping vehicle prices competitive with the unionized Detroit Three automakers, or charge less for their vehicles.
- American Airlines, union reach deal to hike gate agents' pay
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:41:20 -0500 -
(Reuters) - American Airlines Group Inc said that members of the association representing its reservations and gate agents had approved a new five-year contract that includes "immediate and significant pay raises."
- Apparel demand up, electronics flat over U.S. Black Friday weekend: MasterCard
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:04:10 -0500 -
Specialty-apparel retailers enjoyed a pick-up in sales over the extended holiday weekend that began on Thursday as colder weather unleashed pent-up demand for winter clothing, Sarah Quinlan, a senior vice president at MasterCard, said in a sneak preview of an upcoming spending report by the company. Department stores, however, did not enjoy a similar boost, reflecting the segment's ongoing struggles to attract consumers, Quinlan said. "All year long, department stores have remained very very challenged.
- Morgan Stanley to cut up to 25 percent of fixed-income jobs
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:46:05 -0500 -
Morgan Stanley plans to cut up to 25 percent of its fixed-income jobs, according to a person familiar with the matter. The news was first reported by Bloomberg earlier on Monday. Morgan Stanley Chief Executive James Gorman has been focusing on equities trading and - particularly - wealth management as profit drivers for the No. 6 U.S. bank by assets as stricter regulations and capital requirements make it more difficult to trade bonds.
- Unemployment rates fall in two-thirds of US states
- Fri, 18 May 2012 11:34:11 -0400 - Unemployment rates fell in two-thirds of U.S. states last month, evidence that modest economic growth is boosting hiring in most areas of the country.
- Rainbow Six Siege dev will not tolerate team-killing
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:00:45 -0500 -
"We have a plan in place" to handle trolls, Ubisoft says.
- Sony unlocks PS4's seventh CPU core, data suggests
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:57:06 -0500 -
Middleware firm's update notes contain references to recent changes to PS4's processor allocation.
- Want a sleek Windows 10 phone? Go to Japan
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:44:00 -0500 - Just last week, Microsoft began selling the Lumia 950, the first Windows 10 mobile phone, and though the software showed promise, the hardware itself was lacking in charm. Now, Japanese design firm NuAns ...
- This Swatch watch will let you pay with your wrist
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:30:31 -0500 -
In its first foray into wearable tech, the Swiss watchmaker strikes a deal with Visa. The Swatch Bellamy will sport an NFC chip, enabling contactless payments.
- Mind-controlled robot gives the disabled a taste of home
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:15:00 -0500 - Brain-controlled robot limbs have already helped the disabled gain some mobility, but full-fledged robots have proven elusive: how do you use thoughts to steer a free-roaming machine? Swiss researchers ...
- TiVo's QuickMode viewing feature hits all Roamio DVRs
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:48:00 -0500 - Tivo's QuickMode option, which lets you speed up recorded shows with pitch-corrected audio, is available on every Roamio DVR as of today. The feature arrived last week for the TiVo Bolt, the company's ...
- Apple Music coming to Sonos in December
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:36:48 -0500 -
Sonos is about to be the first manufacturer to support the Apple Music streaming service via its beta program.
- George Lucas still believes Greedo shot first
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:36:08 -0500 -
In a new profile, the famous director discusses the notorious shootout and explains why he'll be watching "A Force Awakens" after taking "a deep breath."
- Cyber Monday's tale: Amazon cleans up
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:32:00 -0500 -
Amazon's sales so far are up 23 percent year-over-year, well above its competitors.
- Here's How to Achieve Two Goals at Once on Autopilot
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:26:04 -0500 -
This post was originally published on Unsettle.orgIn January, I took a huge risk.I turned in my notice to leave my contract job because I was going on a one-way trip to Europe. Then I began to methodically remove every single source of income I had.I sold my personal finance blog, which was a huge income-generator for me. On another website I...
- 'Tis the season to be fraud-y: Cyber Monday's a holiday for hackers too
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:22:48 -0500 -
Don't lose your head amid all the wonderful deals. Online crooks are counting on you to let your digital guard down on Cyber Monday.
- Mario takes on Minecraft Guy in battle of the video games
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:17:39 -0500 -
The embodiments of two of the top video game franchises of all time go head-to-head to determine which one reigns supreme.
- Here's why the iPad Pro's processor is so fast
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 15:17:00 -0500 - Whatever you think of Apple's products, there's little doubt that the A9X processor in the iPad Pro is quick -- in a few cases, it rivals the performance you'd get from a laptop. But why is it so quick, ...
- The 57 Things I Would Want My Beginner Entrepreneurial Self to Know
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:54:09 -0500 -
1.You are good enough2.Start today3.Your knowledge is overflowing4.People need you5.Be yourself6.Accept yourself7.Learn from people but don't blindly follow8.Don't try to please anyone9.Don't compare your start with someone's middle10.You are worthy11.You are deserving12.It will not be easy every day13.Follow your passion every...
- Awkward 'Star Wars Holiday Special' awakens in fan's mashup trailer
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:53:23 -0500 -
After watching this "Force Awakens" mashup, you may never see the embarrassing "Star Wars Holiday Special" the same way again.
- The Future of Workspace Is Here
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:49:07 -0500 -
Over the past few year's the rise and ever growing interest in co-working has transformed the way solopreneurs, freelancers and small companies do business in Australia. It has become a true microcosm of a new way of working and, perhaps more importantly, living in Australia. Given the intense interest in start-ups these days, more and more...
- What do business people think of their CIO?
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:44:00 -0500 -
Multiple research reports give a consistent view of business perceptions toward IT and the Chief Information Officer. In summary, there is hope but much work remains.
- 10 Design Experience X-Factors
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:42:02 -0500 -
10 Design Experience X-Factors from Vala Afshar The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. - Albert Einstein"An organizational focus on design offers unique opportunities for humanizing technology and for developing emotionally resonant products and services," said Jon Kolko...
- VTech hack gets worse: Chat logs, kids' photos taken in breach
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:40:00 -0500 -
One security expert questioned why some data was collected by VTech in the first place.
- Broadway to Present First Ever Livestreamed Show
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:38:48 -0500 - Daddy Long Legs will be the first ever livestreamed Broadway show.
- Adobe Premiere Clip brings its video-editing tools to Android
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:38:00 -0500 - Adobe's bet on mobile productivity is serious, with its suite of Creative Cloud apps leading the way. One of the company's newest applications is Premiere Clip, a video editor that first debuted on iOS. ...
- Apple Music arrives on Sonos speakers in beta form December 15
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:32:00 -0500 -
After promising Apple Music on Sonos connected speakers by year end, Apple is delivering: Next month a beta begins to stream Apple's tunes on Sonos devices around the home.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise to become Azure partner
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:28:00 -0500 -
The company is looking to focus its efforts on services and hardware.
- Amazon, the king of e-commerce, gets primed for 2016
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:20:10 -0500 -
Amazon's Prime membership service will help the company continue to dominate online shopping, this holiday season and beyond.
- Finding Gratitude in Hard Times
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:15:40 -0500 -
Sometimes life seems overwhelming and hard. Terrorist attacks, economic woes, personal problems--you name it, we all have our list of trials and tribulations. It's in these difficult moments that it's hardest to feel grateful. But it's also in these moments that feeling grateful is most important.For me, it has been a challenging few months....
- Sonos will support Apple Music starting December 15th
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:09:00 -0500 - Sonos will close a major gap in the services that it supports on December 15th -- that's when the company's products will start working with Apple Music. The company said that this would happen by the ...
- Using technology to lend a hand
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:04:30 -0500 -
From CNET Magazine: Looking for a way to give back during the holidays? There are apps and websites to help.
- Anti-Hack Chip Cards Still AWOL At Major Retailers
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 14:00:43 -0500 - Remember the big hue and cry in Congress and in the retail industry for new computer chip credit cards to ward off hackers? While industry studies estimate three in five consumers now have them, major retailers still haven't upgraded to accept them.
- Zuckerberg and Gates' clean-energy mantra: Invest, invent
- Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:55:02 -0500 -
Tech industry titans are banding together to try to ensure the world has enough energy, with less of the carbon emissions tied to global warming.