- China jitters send global stocks tumbling
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:30:28 -0400 -
After a few upbeat days for world markets, concern about China revived after surveys showed its manufacturing sector shrinking at its fastest pace in three years and its services sector also cooling. Asian stocks, particularly in Japan and Australia , fell overnight, and the gloomy mood extended to Europe.
- Calpers, Calstrs oppose joint CEO-chairman role at Bank of America
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:35:43 -0400 -
The California Public Employees' Retirement System (Calpers) and the California State Teachers' Retirement System (Calstrs) sent a letter on Monday to the bank's lead director, Jack Bovender, saying that the roles of CEO and chair of the board have inherent conflicts which require the two posts to be separate. The funds wrote that since Moynihan was appointed CEO, the bank has underperformed and that it needs stronger, more independent oversight and not less.
- China, euro zone weaken despite world awash with cash
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:09:11 -0400 -
LONDON/BEIJING (Reuters) - China's giant manufacturing industry contracted while British and euro zone growth eased in August, rattling markets and reinforcing expectations interest rates may fall again or stay near zero for longer. Manufacturers across the world struggled, a series of surveys showed on Tuesday. It came as the People's Bank of China loosened policy for the second time in two months last week and amid 60 billion euros a month of European Central Bank stimulus.
- Law firm targets Google foes for private damages claims
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:47:08 -0400 -
By Foo Yun Chee BRUSSELS (Reuters) - U.S. law firm and class action specialist Hausfeld launched a platform on Tuesday to help pursue claims against Google, posing a potential headache for the world's No. 1 Internet search engine amid its regulatory troubles in Europe. Hausfeld has coordinated various high-profile class action cases, including for companies affected by an air cargo pricing cartel, investors impacted by currency-rigging by banks and firms fighting fees levied by MasterCard and Visa Europe. The law firm said the Google Redress & Integrity Platform (GRIP) is aimed at those affected by alleged anti-competitive behavior by Google in Europe.
- IMF's Lagarde sees weaker than expected global economic growth
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:11:43 -0400 -
By Eveline Danubrata JAKARTA (Reuters) - Global economic growth is likely to be weaker than earlier expected, the head of the International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday, due to a slower recovery in advanced economies and a further slowdown in emerging nations. IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde also warned emerging economies like Indonesia to "be vigilant for spillovers" from China's slowdown, tighter global financial conditions, and the prospects of a U.S. interest rate hike. "Overall, we expect global growth to remain moderate and likely weaker than we anticipated last July," Lagarde told university students at the start of a two-day visit to Indonesia's capital.
- Weak China August factory, services point to further economic slowdown
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 01:55:50 -0400 -
BEIJING/SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Activity in China's factory sector shrank at its fastest rate in at least three years in August as domestic and export orders tumbled, increasing investors' fears that the world's second-largest economy may be lurching toward a hard landing. Hurt by soft demand, overcapacity and falling investment, the economy has also been buffeted by plunging shares and a shock yuan devaluation, in what some have called a "perfect storm" of factors that is rattling global markets and could strain relations with China's major trading partners. Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso said on Tuesday it would be beneficial for this week's meeting of the Group of 20 major economies to discuss what is going on in China's economy.
- Apple partners with Cisco to boost enterprise business
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:10:33 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Apple Inc on Monday teamed up with network gear maker Cisco Systems Inc to improve the performance of its iPad and iPhone devices on Cisco's corporate network. Cisco will provide services specially optimized for iOS devices across mobile, cloud, and on premises-based collaboration tools such as Cisco Spark, Cisco Telepresence and Cisco WebEx, the companies said in a statement. Apple is expanding its foothold in the enterprise arena at a time when iPad sales are shrinking.
- Euro zone factory growth eases in August despite modest price rises - PMI
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 04:09:53 -0400 -
LONDON, (Reuters) - Euro zone manufacturing growth eased last month, despite factories barely raising prices, adding to the European Central Bank's woes as it battles to spur expansion and inflation, a survey showed.
- Oil falls on weak China factory data
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:59:17 -0400 -
LONDON (Reuters) - Oil prices fell sharply on Tuesday after official data showed China's giant manufacturing sector, one of the main engines powering the world's biggest energy consumer, contracted at its fastest pace in three years.
- Man Group shares fall after report China head helping police probe
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:33:53 -0400 -
LONDON/BEIJING (Reuters) - Shares in British hedge fund manager Man Group Plc fell more than 6 percent in early trade on Tuesday following a report the head of its China unit had been taken into custody as part of a probe into the country's recent market volatility. Bloomberg said on Monday that Man's China chairwoman, Li Yifei, was helping authorities investigating the recent sharp swings in the country's stock market, noting this did not mean she faced charges or had done anything wrong. A spokeswoman for Man Group, which says on its website that it manages $78.8 billion of assets, declined to comment on the report or share price move.
- Nintendo opens digital download store on Amazon
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:51:00 -0400 - US Amazon users can now buy Nintendo titles like Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U through a digital download space on Amazon. According to the page, you can purchase one of the 61 titles listed, including ...
- Lizard Squad takes revenge on UK police with DDoS attack
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 07:30:00 -0400 - Lizard Squad has claimed responsibility for a temporary takedown of the UK's National Crime Agency (NCA) website, almost certainly in response to a series of arrests targeting customers of the hacker collective's ...
- Samsung's creating its own curated news app for Galaxy devices
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:58:00 -0400 -
- Samsung connected home fridge becomes weapon in MITM attacks
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:21:05 -0400 -
It is no longer only PCs and mobile devices which may harbor an attack designed to steal your data -- could your fridge be next?
- PayPal makes it even easier to call in your debts
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 06:00:00 -0400 - While PayPal has made its name (and serious money) helping people pay for their online and in-store purchases, sending cash to friends or family takes a little bit longer than it needs to. That's why the ...
- This sensor can make your dumb appliances smarter
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 05:32:04 -0400 -
LG wants to make your fridge or washing machine ready for the internet of things with its SmartThinq sensors.
- Apple looks to Netflix model with original TV, films for rumoured streaming service
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 05:20:41 -0400 -
Apple could soon be creatings its own TV and movie productions, according to a new report.
- Apple reportedly bid for Clarkson and 'Top Gear' co-stars
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 04:59:00 -0400 - It was quite a surprise when Amazon announced it had snapped up the Top Gear trio for a new show on Prime Instant Video. Many thought Netflix or Sky would win out, but now it's emerged that another unlikely ...
- Latest look at 'Halo 5' is entirely devoid of Master Chief
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 03:38:00 -0400 - If you were hoping to see more of Spartan 117 ahead of Halo 5: Guardians release this October, today isn't your day. Sure, there's a new trailer embedded below, but it isn't gameplay. Nor does it tell ...
- NBN under fire for affordability, accessibility
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 03:30:28 -0400 -
NBN's satellite service is reportedly too expensive for lower socio-economic groups to afford, with critics saying the 'fair use' download restrictions constrain access and availability to those with limited choices.
- NT Police cracks down on crime with facial recognition technology
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 03:13:17 -0400 -
Northern Territory Police have implemented NEC's NeoFace Reveal solution to help it identify persons of interest using its existing database.
- You can now spend up to £30 on contactless cards in the UK
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 03:01:00 -0400 -
- Fujitsu on track to reduce environmental footprint
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 02:43:44 -0400 -
Fujitsu has disclosed the results of its efforts to achieve the targets of its 2013 Environmental Action Plan.
- Another Silk Road spy pleaded guilty to laundering bitcoins
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 01:48:00 -0400 -
- DTO eyes equal access to government services across all channels
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 01:00:42 -0400 -
The CEO of the government's digital office has outlined plans for unifying services not only via an online portal, but also across more accessible communications channels.
- Big hacks, big data add up to blackmailer's dream
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 00:50:00 -0400 -
Do the data records stolen in a pair of recent hacks signal the start of something more sinister?
- Myer to invest AU$600 million on data-driven New Myer strategy
- Tue, 01 Sep 2015 00:10:03 -0400 -
Myer will be rolling out its New Myer strategy, including enhancing its existing omnichannel, in an effort to restore profit growth.
- State Dept. releases more Hillary Clinton emails, around 150 classified
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 23:51:00 -0400 - As the saga over Hillary Clinton's emails from her time as Secretary of State continues, the State Department tonight released the largest bundle of recovered messages yet. Amounting to some 7,000 pages, ...
- Bitcoin miners DigitalBTC $6.77m in the red
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 23:35:00 -0400 -
Australian-listed DigitalBTC continues to defend the bitcoin business, despite posting its first complete financial year results, which sees the cryptocurrency miners take a net loss after tax of $6.77 million.
- Google's custom self-driving car comes to Austin
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 23:09:00 -0400 - Google's cute, koala-faced self-driving car is no longer limited to roaming around Californian streets. The company is bringing "a few" of the prototype autonomous vehicles to Austin, Texas within ...
- Old Atari games had graphics glitches because of CPU bottlenecks
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 22:27:00 -0400 -
- There goes the neighborhood: 'Black Ops 3' brings back Nuk3town
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:49:00 -0400 -
- Uber wants Australian Federal Court to define taxi travel
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:41:40 -0400 -
Uber has proposed the Federal Court determine whether UberX drivers fall under the same definition as taxi drivers, and if they would be required to pay the Good and Services Tax.
- Sale of buried Atari cartridges nets over $107,000
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:20:00 -0400 - The never-ending saga of the Atari 2600 E.T. cartridges that were famously buried (and later unearthed) in Alamogordo, New Mexico continues to benefit the small town. Last November, a selection of games ...
- What's on your HDTV: 'Mad Max', college football, 'Mr. Robot' finale
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:39:00 -0400 - After delaying its finale a week, Mr. Robot wraps up its run this week on USA. Of course, you'll probably want to check out Max Max: Fury Road on Blu-ray first, or the accompanying videogame on several ...
- GoPro wants you to make short videos on your action camera
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:23:00 -0400 -
- India moves forward with Google antitrust probe
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:19:00 -0400 -
The findings of a three-year investigation into whether Google has abused its dominance in India have been forwarded to the search giant and the competition commission.
- Negative business sentiment to hurt Korean tech firms in 3Q
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:12:24 -0400 -
Business sentiment for September in South Korea is as low as it was in August, and according to analysts, that gloom will carry into third quarter revenue figures for South Korean tech firms.
- Apple is reportedly planning to make its own original video content
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:49:00 -0400 -
- IBM secures five-year AU$450 million partnership with ANZ
- Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:20:58 -0400 -
Over the next five years ANZ will be deploying IBM's content management, data, analytics, and cloud software to support its ongoing core banking and infrastructure needs.