- Carl Icahn boosts stake in Dell IPO standoff
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:50:08 -0400 - Activist investor Carl Icahn reported an increased 8.3 percent stake in Dell tracking stock on Monday, as he looks to block a proposed plan by the computer maker to return to the public market without an IPO.
- Trump voices 'rogue killers' theory for Khashoggi incident
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:46:03 -0400 - U.S. President Donald Trump speculated on Monday that "rogue killers" may have been behind the disappearance of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi and dispatched Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to meet King Salman over the case.
- Senator, mocked by Trump as Pocahontas, cites DNA test
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:42:58 -0400 - Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren, whom U.S. President Donald Trump has ridiculed as "Pocahontas" for claiming Native American heritage, lashed back on Monday, citing DNA evidence she said supports her assertion, in what could be a preview of a bare-knuckles presidential campaign in 2020.
- U.S. retail sales increase modestly; consumer spending strong
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:41:04 -0400 - U.S. retail sales barely rose in September as a rebound in motor vehicle purchases was offset by the biggest drop in spending at restaurants and bars in nearly two years.
- Tech stocks weigh on S&P 500; Disney gains
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:40:36 -0400 - The benchmark S&P 500 index edged lower in choppy trade on Monday as technology stocks were pressured by lingering worries over interest rates and corporate earnings, while gaining Disney shares helped keep the Dow positive.
- Saudi Arabia preparing to admit Khashoggi was killed: CNN
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:24:13 -0400 - Saudi Arabia is preparing a report that would admit Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed as the result of an interrogation that went wrong, CNN reported on Monday, citing two unnamed sources.
- Trump meets hurricane survivors in devastated Florida Panhandle
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:22:21 -0400 - U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday got a first-hand look at the "total devastation" that Hurricane Michael brought to Florida's Panhandle, meeting with survivors and saying that providing food and safety for them was a top priority.
- Pennsylvania Republican candidate threatens to stomp on opponents face
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:14:53 -0400 - (In this October 12 story corrects third paragraph to attribute the quote to "Wagner," not "Wolf" as written)
- West-Saudi tensions lift safe havens; world stocks slip
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:14:08 -0400 - Major stock markets slipped on Monday as rising tensions between Western powers and Saudi Arabia added to concerns over the pace of global economic growth, with investors flocking to traditional safe-havens like the Japanese and Swiss currencies, as well as gold.
- U.S. federal government posts widest deficit since 2012
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:07:19 -0400 - The U.S. federal government closed the 2018 fiscal year $779 billion in the red as tax cuts hit revenues and the government paid more to service a growing national debt, according to Treasury Department data released on Monday.
- State of Play: Tightening Arizona race threatens Democrats' slim Senate hopes
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:45:48 -0400 - For most of this year, Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona has run what has been viewed widely as one of the best races in the nation. But with less than a month to go to Election Day, there are doubts whether she can make it across the finish line.
- As companies embrace AI, it's a job-seeker's market
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:14:56 -0400 - Dozens of employers looking to hire the next generation of tech employees descended on the University of California, Berkeley in September to meet students at an electrical engineering and computer science career fair.
- Pompeo to visit Turkey after Saudi Arabia: White House
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 14:08:27 -0400 - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will stop in Turkey after his trip to Saudi Arabia to talk with King Salman about the missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a National Security Council spokesman said on Monday.
- Saudi Arabia cancels annual diplomatic reception in Washington
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:58:22 -0400 - The Saudi embassy in Washington on Monday canceled its annual National Day reception in an email that gave no explanation for the move, which comes amid a diplomatic crisis over the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey.
- Sears, once a retail titan, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:25:43 -0400 - Sears Holdings Corp filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Monday with a plan to close about 142 of its 700 stores by the end of the year, throwing into doubt the future of the century-old retailer that once dominated U.S. malls but has withered in the age of internet shopping.
- Many U.S. mall owners say good riddance to Sears
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:25:43 -0400 - The real estate investment trusts that own the malls and shopping centers where many Sears stores are anchor tenants have waited years for the retailer's demise to renovate the sites and boost rent, although redevelopment costs may strain some plans.
- Bain Capital co-chairman pulls out of Saudi conference: source
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:10:40 -0400 - Stephen Pagliuca, co-chairman at U.S. private equity firm Bain Capital, will not attend a high-profile conference in Saudi Arabia, a source familiar with the matter said on Monday.
- Saudi Arabia to hold investment forum despite key speakers pulling out
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 13:06:14 -0400 - Saudi Arabia will go ahead with a major investment conference planned later this month despite key speakers and partners pulling out after the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a statement from the organizers said on Monday.
- Turkish police enter Saudi consulate in Istanbul
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:48:37 -0400 - Turkish police investigators entered Saudi Arabia's Istanbul consulate on Monday, two weeks after the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Group enters Saudi consulate in Istanbul: live feed
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 11:04:18 -0400 - Around a dozen people entered Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul on Monday, after Turkish diplomatic sources had said that a joint Turkish-Saudi team would conduct a search following the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.