- Wall Street ekes out small gain to cap strongest week of year
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:08:58 -0400 -
The S&P 500 had a weekly gain of 3.3 percent, its best week since Dec. 2015, as investors regained some optimism after a period of heavy volatility since late August on concerns about global growth and uncertainty about U.S. interest rates. "We've had a very good week and a very good start to the fourth quarter," said Peter Tuz, president of Chase Investment Counsel in Charlottesville, Virginia. Financial stocks were among the worst performers Friday as investors read further signs of dovishness in the previous day's release of minutes from the Fed's September meeting.
- Banks take spotlight as earnings season heats up
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:16:09 -0400 -
By Chuck Mikolajczak NEW YORK (Reuters) - The financial sector, recently a weak performer in the stock market, will garner the majority of investor attention next week as a number of big banks post their quarterly results. Goldman Sachs Group Inc, Bank of America Corp, Wells Fargo & Co, Citigroup and JPMorgan Chase & Co - the five biggest U.S. banks by market cap - are due to report results as the sector has trailed the market in recent weeks and earnings estimates have fallen. In the last 30 days, banks have seen their estimates steadily lowered, with Goldman the biggest victim.
- UAW leaders send Fiat Chrysler pact to workers for vote
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:44:21 -0400 -
By Bernie Woodall DETROIT (Reuters) - U.S. union United Auto Workers' leaders on Friday approved a tentative four-year contract with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV , sending the proposed pact to 40,000 workers for a ratification vote. The move follows Fiat Chrysler workers' rejection last week of a previous tentative contract. A new tentative agreement was reached on Wednesday night, averting a call by the UAW to have its members strike Fiat Chrysler’s U.S. operations.
- California gives Volkswagen November 20 deadline for technical fix in diesel scandal
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:00:16 -0400 -
California has given carmaker Volkswagen until November 20 to come up with a plan to fix the diesel cars affected by its rigging of emissions tests, a spokesman for the California Air Resources Board (CARB) said on Friday. Volkswagen has said up to 11 million diesel vehicles worldwide need to be refitted because they could carry software designed to manipulate emissions tests. The CARB spokesman said the deadline represents 45 business days from an in-use compliance letter sent to Volkswagen dated Sept. 18.
- SABMiller declares new savings goal in defense against AB InBev
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:19:27 -0400 -
Brewer SABMiller Plc announced an expanded cost-cutting plan on Friday, stepping up its defense against an unsolicited $100 billion takeover offer from bigger rival Anheuser-Busch InBev . The 30-page presentation posted on the website of the world's second-largest brewer was seen as an attempt to prise a higher price out of AB InBev two days after it rejected its proposed main cash offer of 42.15 pounds a share. "SAB's move now puts the ball firmly back into AB InBev's court," analysts at Barclays said.
- Dow Jones discloses data breach
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:17:29 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Dow Jones & Co disclosed on Friday a breach of its systems that put payment card and contact information of about 3,500 individuals at risk. The publisher of the Wall Street Journal said its review had not uncovered any "direct evidence" that information was stolen and that it had taken steps to stop the breach. (http://on.wsj.com/1Mivruj) Based on the investigation, Dow Jones, a unit of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp , said there was unauthorized access to its systems at certain times between August 2012 and July 2015. ...
- U.S. import prices point to smaller drag on inflation
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:18:06 -0400 -
U.S. import prices fell only slightly in September, offset by recovering oil prices, suggesting a slowdown in the rate of imported deflation is occurring which may eventually allow the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates. The Fed held off from raising interest rates in September largely because a weak global economy and financial market volatility had raised doubts that U.S. inflation would rise toward the Fed's target of 2.0 percent as expected.
- United ready for rival's overseas flights from Houston: executive
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:40:59 -0400 -
United Continental Holdings Inc intends to compete on price when necessary, add destinations and offer easy connections to keep customers, Jim Compton said. "Our goal is to optimize revenue," Compton said. United has limited service from the worst battleground, Dallas.
- Oil remains mostly flat after U.S. rig count drops for sixth week
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:12:59 -0400 -
Oil prices remained little changed in choppy trade on Friday as traders flip-flopped between the negative fundamentals of persistent oversupply and support cushions from a sixth weekly decline in U.S. oil rig counts. Brent crude , the global benchmark, was down 43 cents at $52.62 a barrel at 1:49 p.m. EDT (1749 GMT), during a volatile session that saw the contract touch an intraday high of $54.05. Despite today's losses, crude prices were still on track to notch their highest weekly percentage gain in six weeks, but some traders said the sharp rise earlier in the week was overblown.
- Wal-Mart changes CFO, gets new chief merchant in latest shuffle
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:32:35 -0400 -
The world's largest retailer by revenue said 47-year-old Brett Biggs, who runs the finances of company's international division, would take over the CFO role from Charles Holley, 59, who will retire from the job at the end of the year. In a separate release it said Steve Bratspies, who has been in charge of food, was appointed chief merchandising officer, a key role deciding what and how Wal-Mart will sell items at its 4,500 U.S. stores. The moves mark the latest in a series of shuffles of top posts under Chief Executive Doug McMillon, who has been reshaping the retailer since taking the helm 18 months ago.
- Playdate: Giving away Snake's watch with 'Metal Gear Online'
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:30:00 -0400 - Metal Gear Online hasn't even been active a week and yet and it's dealing with some pretty serious issues. First there's the whole real-money for in-game insurance thing, and as Eurogamer reports, there's ...
- Can't accept autonomous liability? Get out of the game, says Volvo
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 17:11:00 -0400 - Volvo has an easy answer for all the hand-wringing about whose responsible when self-driving cars crash.Volvo chief executive officer and president Håkan Samuelsson says one of the most vexing challenges ...
- Stephen Hawking: 'The real risk with AI isn't malice but competence'
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:49:00 -0400 -
- Week Ahead: Bank Earnings and Inflation Reports
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:27:37 -0400 - Bank earnings will be closely watched next week as the third-quarter earnings season kicks into high gear.
- Hulu's virtual reality app will launch alongside Gear VR in November
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:24:00 -0400 -
- Stocks End Higher, Look to Book Solid Weekly Gains
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:17:15 -0400 - U.S. equity markets booked gains on Friday after wavering near breakeven for most of the session, wrapping up hefty gains for the week.
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership could spell the end of filesharing sites
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:58:00 -0400 -
- TwitchCon made me a Twitch convert
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:30:00 -0400 -
- Do Utilities Own the Sun?
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:16:11 -0400 - A surprising new fight is breaking out nationwide in states like Oklahoma and Utah that should get solar customers fired up—but make utilities feel really warm inside. It’s over new “sun taxes” solar customers may have to pay.
- The best $150 over-ear headphones
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:00:00 -0400 - By Lauren Dragan This post was done in partnership with The Wirecutter, a buyer's guide to the best technology. Read the full article here. If I wanted to spend $150 or less on a pair of over-ear headphones, ...
- Is it safe for Americans to buy Huawei-built Nexus phones?
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:53:00 -0400 -
Three years ago, Congress was considering banning Huawei hardware due to concerns over spying. Today, Google has chosen to make a Huawei-built phone into its flagship Nexus 6P. What are the security implications for American users?
- DARPA wants to build vehicles that disappear after delivering supplies
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:39:00 -0400 - What if the vehicle delivering the goods to a remote village or group of soldiers could just vanish after it made the drop? Sounds crazy, right? Well, DARPA is hoping to do just that. The research unit ...
- Fed's Evans In No Hurry to Raise Rates
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:31:30 -0400 - Chicago Fed President Charles Evans said Friday he believes the central bank should hold off on raising interest rates until there is more evidence on inflation.
- The Wall Street Journal's customer database was hacked
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:21:00 -0400 - If you're a Wall Street Journal subscriber, you might be getting an unpleasant letter in the mail. William Lewis, CEO of WSJ parent company Dow Jones, just released a statement in which he reveals the ...
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP): Military's Version of a 401k
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:13:01 -0400 - The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is a retirement plan that caters to active members of the armed services. Here’s what you need to know about the TSP and its offerings.
- Why the Market Rally Will Fizzle
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:11:18 -0400 - Have you flipped to being a bull yet? The current rally doesn’t want to quit. I can’t help thinking, though, it’s doomed to fail.
- Apple now sells SIM-free unlocked iPhone 6s, 6s Plus in U.S.
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:02:20 -0400 -
Fear of carrier commitment? No problem. Apple now sells SIM-free, unlocked iPhone 6s and 6s Plus handsets; a great option for business travelers and SIM switchers.
- Ebro Darden: the DJ who curates the sound of New York on Beats 1
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:00:00 -0400 -
- Are Oil Exports on the Horizon? House OKs Bill
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:38:19 -0400 - An effort to shelve the 40-year-old ban on exporting oil from the U.S. is gaining steam as lawmakers in the House voted in favor of the move on Friday.
- Brain simulation breakthrough reveals clues about sleep, memory
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:28:00 -0400 - The Blue Brain Project is a vast effort by 82 scientists worldwide to digitally recreate the human brain. While still far from that goal, the team revealed a breakthrough that has already provided insight ...
- Moto 360 review (2015): More than just good looks this time around
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 13:00:00 -0400 - The Moto 360 made a huge splash when it was introduced alongside Android Wear some 18 months ago. It was by far the most attractive smartwatch the world had seen, and it held its spot near the top of the ...
- Ed Bott's Weekly Wrap: New Surface devices, Azure adds Touch ID support, Google's 'do the right thing'
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:52:00 -0400 -
Microsoft's big Windows 10 launch heads the week's most interesting tech news. There's also a surprising change in the Google (now Alphabet) code of conduct, more support for Apple hardware from Microsoft, and big news for LastPass users
- Healthcare.gov users get privacy controls as enrollment nears
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:43:00 -0400 -
- DraftKings Tries to Make Nice With its Fantasy Players
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:29:28 -0400 - DraftKings co-founders Jason Robins, Matt Kalish and Paul Liberman have reached out to customers several days after a scandal broke involving a DraftKings employee who allegedly used insider-information to create a $350,000 winning lineup for rival FanDuel.
- Engadget Live is making one more stop this year: New York City!
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:25:00 -0400 -
- LastPass bought by LogMeIn for $110 million
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:21:00 -0400 -
The merger of the two password management firms has sparked an outcry from LastPass users, some of whom say they refuse to do business with LogMeIn.
- I found a secondhand telescope, now what?
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:00:00 -0400 -
- Dell launches the world's smallest 15 inch laptop, updates the XPS 13, and previews the XPS 12
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:47:00 -0400 -
This is not just a refresh with sixth-generation Skylake processors: Dell is also bringing XPS 13 styling and infinity displays to the 15-inch laptop market, and adding a 12-inch tablet/keyboard combo.
- LastPass gets acquired by remote desktop service LogMeIn
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:33:00 -0400 - The popular password manager LastPass will soon have a new home at LogMeIn, which runs a remote desktop management service, the companies announced today. But don't fret if you're an existing LastPass ...
- iPad Pro: The high price of LTE
- Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:27:51 -0400 -
Those planning on getting the iPad Pro in a few weeks should be aware of the limited options Apple is offering. These include the pricey LTE model.