- Black Friday crowds thin in subdued start to U.S. holiday shopping
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:12:12 -0500 -
By Nathan Layne and Nandita Bose PITTSBURGH/CHICAGO (Reuters) - Crowds were thin at U.S. stores and shopping malls in the early hours of Black Friday and on Thanksgiving evening as shoppers responded to early holiday discounts with caution and bad weather hurt turnout. Major retail stocks including Target and Wal-Mart fell in early trading.
- HSBC whistleblower Falciani sentenced to five years in prison
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:10:47 -0500 -
(Reuters) - Herve Falciani, an ex-employee of HSBC's Geneva private bank who leaked information on clients and their tax situation, has been sentenced to five years in prison for aggravated industrial espionage, the bank said on Friday. HSBC said it welcomed the ruling on Falciani, a 43-year old French citizen who had been on trial in Switzerland. HSBC's Swiss unit has been in the spotlight since 2008, when Falciani, a former IT employee there, fled Geneva with files that were leaked to the media and were alleged to show evidence of tax evasion by clients.
- Musk's Tesla faces German battle over battery-powered homes
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:02:44 -0500 -
By Vera Eckert and Christoph Steitz FRANKFURT (Reuters) - If Elon Musk's vision of millions of households producing all their own power becomes a reality, it will probably happen first in Germany. The South African-born entrepreneur's company Tesla, best known for its electric cars, sparked global interest in the idea of self-powered homes in April, when it said it would start selling lithium-ion batteries for households next year. The batteries, called Powerwalls, connect to solar panels on the roof of a house and aim to store enough power during the day to drive kettles and washing machines at night, raising the prospect that households one day will be able to rely fully on clean energy and become independent of the power grid.
- Toyota leads global car sales in October, outsells VW for fourth month
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 05:37:52 -0500 -
Toyota Motor Corp outsold Volkswagen AG for the fourth straight month in October to remain the world's top-selling automaker so far this year, after sales at the German carmaker suffered following the diesel emissions scandal. Toyota said on Friday its group vehicle sales totaled 8.35 million in the January-October period, more than the 8.26 million vehicles delivered by Volkswagen during the same period. Toyota has continuously out sold Volkswagen on a year-to-date basis since July.
- Wall St. slips as Disney weighs; holiday sales in focus
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:58:34 -0500 -
Dow component Walt Disney fell 3.3 percent to $114.80, after the media giant said late on Wednesday that its ESPN sports network lost 3 million subscribers in 2015. The National Retail Federation is expecting holiday sales to rise 3.7 percent, slower than last year's 4.1 percent increase.
- VW labor boss says C02 cheating has hit new car orders
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:41:27 -0500 -
Volkswagen is facing slowing orders for new cars, with consumers shunning purchases after the automaker admitted this month it understated fuel usage and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, VW's top labor representative said on Friday. "There is caution in buying," the German company's works council chief Bernd Osterloh told reporters. VW said on Nov. 3 it had manipulated the level of CO2 emissions in about 800,000 cars sold mainly in Europe, and is expecting costs of at least 2 billion euros ($2.1 billion), including compensation payments to customers.
- Collapsing cost of euro funding lures U.S. firms over the ocean
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:47:38 -0500 -
By Jamie McGeever LONDON (Reuters) - The euro's slide against the dollar this year has been a competitive boon for corporate Europe, but it has also opened up an alternative financing window for corporate America. This will be a record year for U.S. companies raising funds in euros, a financing option that should be widely used again next year if the euro weakens further against the dollar, as most analysts expect, and interest rate differentials remain wide. U.S. non-financial firms have already raised a record 69.8 billion euros ($73.8 billion), up sharply on the previous record of 41.7 billion euros last year, according to Thomson Reuters data up to November 24.
- Two-decade Pfizer mission pays off for Guggenheim's deal king
- Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:46:05 -0500 -
LONDON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Alan Schwartz knows how to play a long game. The executive chairman of boutique investment bank Guggenheim Partners spent almost 20 years cultivating Pfizer boss Ian Read as a client. Schwartz, 65, had been working with Read since 2013 to find a European-registered company with which U.S. firm Pfizer could combine and shift its headquarters to a country with a lower tax rate, so-called inverting.
- Pilots' union confident of deal to join Lufthansa jobs summit: document
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 06:01:01 -0500 -
German pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit is confident it can come to a deal that will allow it to take part in a round table organized by Lufthansa management in a bid to defuse tensions with unions over job and growth prospects. Lufthansa asked unions representing the pilots, cabin crew and ground staff to the meeting on Dec. 2 but the pilots' union initially said it was be unlikely to take part because of legal concerns. "Since then, management has approached us to overcome these legal hurdles," VC said in an internal document seen by Reuters, adding it hoped to reach an agreement by the start of next week.
- HSBC to close India private banking unit as competition grows
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:35:29 -0500 -
By Sumeet Chatterjee MUMBAI (Reuters) - HSBC Holdings Plc is closing its private banking unit in India as part of its group strategy, the bank said, marking the exit of another foreign bank from the cut-throat wealth management business in Asia's third-largest economy. The bank would offer private banking clients the choice to move to HSBC Premier, the bank's global retail banking and wealth management platform, a Mumbai-based spokesman said. "After a strategic review of the global private banking operations in India, we have decided to close the business," the spokesman said.
- Unemployment rates fall in two-thirds of US states
- Fri, 18 May 2012 11:34:11 -0400 - Unemployment rates fell in two-thirds of U.S. states last month, evidence that modest economic growth is boosting hiring in most areas of the country.
- Microsoft Lumia 950 review: Not a flagship, but a first step
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:00:00 -0500 - After years of misguided attempts at mobile, Microsoft is ready for a fresh start. While Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 mostly just looked like their desktop counterparts, Windows 10 Mobile aspires to something ...
- Safer, faster-charging lithium-ion batteries thanks to new chip, says pioneer
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:31:45 -0500 -
Lithium-ion battery trailblazer says a new chip will warn when cells are at risk of catching fire and will also optimise charging.
- How smartphones offer Syrian refugees a lifeline
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:27:58 -0500 -
Startups and nonprofit organizations are offering high-tech assistance to the hyper-connected wave of Syrian refugees.
- Futures Flat as Shoppers Search for Best Deals
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:15:06 -0500 - U.S. equity futures were relatively flat as shoppers hit the streets in search of the best day-after-Thanksgiving deals, and as global stocks faltered on the heels of weak data in Asia.
- Best Black Friday 2015 Apple MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini deals (Updated)
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:08:00 -0500 -
Sales on Apple's computers aren't common, but there are some discounts available on Mac laptops and desktops, especially at Best Buy.
- Best Black Friday 2015 sales for Apple iPad Air, iPad mini tablets
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:05:00 -0500 -
You generally won't find huge deals on this perennial gift favorite, but here are the best specials available for iPads as the holiday shopping season kicks off.
- Dealers hit Volkswagen with class action lawsuits over emissions scandal
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:00:12 -0500 -
Dealerships are losing out because of Volkswagen -- but they aren't going down without a fight.
- LG bets $8.7 billion you'll want a TV with rich OLED colors
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 07:56:18 -0500 -
TVs with OLED display technology remain rare, but the South Korean company expects a gargantuan new manufacturing plant will help spread the technology in coming years.
- iPhone water damage? Apple locks down ports with new shutter patent
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 07:38:34 -0500 -
Apple files a patent for a shutter system to protect an iPhone's components from liquids and dust.
- CNET UK podcast 459: The right way to watch Star Wars, Bezos' rocket and your thoughts on Windows Phone
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 07:05:43 -0500 -
Google's Star Trek-style wearable, a historic rocket and whether we need "The Phantom Menace" are all up for debate on the latest episode of the UK's galaxy-devouring tech podcast.
- Guess Apple Watch's killer app: Well, usage studies show it isn't email
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 06:30:40 -0500 -
Two studies have found that Apple Watch isn't yet a platform for third-party apps and that for now it's mostly used as a timepiece.
- The Target breach, two years later
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 06:00:04 -0500 -
With the annual orgy of holiday shopping officially kicking off this week, has anything really changed since the breach that rocked retail?
- Data-mined photos document 100 years of (forced) smiling
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 05:58:00 -0500 - Here's an odd fact: Turn-of-the-century photographers used to tell subjects to say "prunes" rather than "cheese," so that they would smile less. By studying nearly 38,000 high-school ...
- It's Primetime for Amazon
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 04:04:12 -0500 - The online retailer started celebrating the holiday shopping season long before the Thanksgiving – Black Friday weekend.
- DJI's MG-1 drone is water-resistant, dustproof.. and made for farming
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 03:28:00 -0500 - DJI's newest drone isn't its sexiest: it's a specialized, toughened agricultural drone. Yep, hard to get excited about unless you're a farmer perhaps, but the Agras MG-1 is dust-proof, water resistant ...
- Crave giveaway: 128GB SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 03:00:02 -0500 -
Win a $99.99 compact storage device for the mobile era that has its own Wi-Fi network built right in. Can't beat that for a Black Friday deal.
- This crowdfunded router updates its own security
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 02:30:00 -0500 - It's really, really, really hard to make a router sound exciting, but the folks behind the Turris Omnia are betting the device's focus on keeping your sensitive data secure might grab you. The manufacturer's ...
- Telco national security draft legislation released, again
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:53:47 -0500 -
While the legislation was supposed to be implemented from late 2015, the government has instead released another exposure draft for industry consultation.
- Lenovo's astonishing smartphone success in India
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:37:30 -0500 -
The Moto lineup and the success of its budget 4G smartphones have helped Lenovo ascend rapidly to become the third most popular smartphone seller in India behind Micromax and Samsung
- Microsoft updates smart headsets for visually impaired
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 01:22:11 -0500 -
Microsoft in collaboration with Guide Dogs has updated its assistive technology to create a more useful experience for those with vision impairments.
- National policy changes needed to boost Australia's innovation: ACOLA
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:51:51 -0500 -
The Australian Council of Learned Academics has made 15 key findings as part of its latest report that shows Australia needs to make some urgent changes to improve the nation's innovation level.
- Smart home saviour: Man saves house from Australian bushfires with an app
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:16:22 -0500 -
As bushfires raged through South Australia, a man watched the flames approach his farm while he was 3,000km away, but not entirely helpless to act.
- Sony confirms official PS4 Remote Play app for Windows and Mac
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:10:00 -0500 - Well that was quick. It's only been a couple of days since someone came up with an unofficial app to stream PlayStation 4 gaming to PC, but earlier today, Sony's awesome Shuhei Yoshida confirmed on Twitter ...
- Tinder users jump 400 percent in India over a year
- Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:00:13 -0500 -
The popular dating app has enjoyed incredible growth in India, where smartphone and Internet connectivity are hitting new highs.
- Australian government retains comms network
- Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:57:15 -0500 -
Despite reports that ICON would be sold off, the government has decided to retain its secure interdepartmental communications network.
- Silicon Valley VR: fighting social stigma one headset at a time
- Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:47:01 -0500 -
Karl Krantz, founder of Silicon Valley Virtual Reality, believes there is no industry in the future that VR is not going to touch and as a result, the VR evangelist hopes to remove the social stigma around the technology.
- At last! New 'Star Wars' ad features the bad guys
- Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:46:52 -0500 -
Technically Incorrect: For Thanksgiving, Disney released another "Star Wars" TV spot that promised a lot of badness.
- LG's spending billions to make more OLED things
- Thu, 26 Nov 2015 22:00:00 -0500 - LG's OLED 4K TVs are jaw-droppingly gorgeous, but the price still isn't anywhere near the level it needs to be for mass consumer adoption. Hopefully the company's new manufacturing plant can help that ...
- ANZ brings consistency with revamped online banking platform
- Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:49:21 -0500 -
ANZ's 2.1 million internet banking customers will be getting the same experience on the desktop, tablet, and mobile as part of the latest version of the company's internet banking platform.