- China stocks halt plunge, Asia wary but advances
- Fri, 29 May 2015 01:30:53 -0400 -
By Shinichi Saoshiro TOKYO (Reuters) - Asian shares rose on Friday as Chinese shares edged back from the previous day's dizzying plunge, though regional investors remained fearful that the world's best performing equity market was at the beginning of a major correction. Buoyed by China, Australia and South Korea inched up to a 15-year high and was on track for an 11-day winning streak and a fifth straight month of gains amid hopes for better shareholder returns.
- Intel nears $15 billion deal to buy Altera: NY Post
- Fri, 29 May 2015 01:11:59 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Intel Corp is close to a deal to buy smaller chip maker Altera Corp for about $15 billion, the New York Post reported. The deal price could be as much as $54 a share, a 15 percent premium over Altera's Thursday closing price of $46.97, the New York Post reported, citing a source close to the situation. Intel signed a standstill agreement earlier this year with Altera that expires on June 1, giving the world's largest chipmaker the option to launch a hostile bid after that, Reuters reported in April, citing sources.
- U.S. economy likely shrank in first quarter, but fundamentals strong
- Fri, 29 May 2015 01:13:19 -0400 -
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. economy likely contracted in the first quarter as it buckled under the weight of unusually heavy snowfalls and a resurgent dollar, but activity since has rebounded modestly.
- Avago to buy Broadcom for $37 billion in biggest-ever chip deal
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:40:46 -0400 -
Avago Technologies Ltd agreed on Thursday to buy Broadcom Corp for $37 billion in the largest merger of chipmakers ever, turning a lesser known company run by a ferocious dealmaker into one of the biggest industry players. Avago, which serves the wireless and industrial markets, is offering Broadcom shareholders $17 billion in cash and Avago shares valued at $20 billion. Broadcom is best known for its connectivity chips, which are used widely in smartphones made by Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd .
- Japan's Skymark to seek revival plan approval despite creditor opposition: sources
- Thu, 28 May 2015 23:18:04 -0400 -
Failed Japanese budget carrier Skymark Airlines Inc will seek court approval on Friday for a revival plan despite opposition from creditors Airbus Group and Intrepid Aviation Ltd , two people familiar with the matter said. European jet maker Airbus and aircraft leasing company Intrepid have both threatened to block Japan's biggest airline, ANA Holdings , from buying a 16.5 percent stake in Skymark in a bid to persuade ANA to purchase or lease Airbus jets, people familiar with the situation previously told Reuters. "Delaying the restructuring of Skymark would me a minus for the big creditors too," one person with knowledge of the plan to seek court approval said.
- No change in Greek debt talks after another day of spin
- Thu, 28 May 2015 05:21:21 -0400 -
The euro leapt, Greek bond yields fell, global financial markets brightened, but nothing actually changed in another day of conflicting statements on Greece's long-running debt talks with international creditors. Traders latched on to an upbeat statement issued by a Greek government official on Wednesday afternoon asserting that negotiators were starting to draft a "staff level agreement" - a prerequisite for releasing any more bailout funds. When the meeting with representatives of the International Monetary Fund, European Central Bank and European Commission finally began several hours late, there was no start on drafting a deal because too much remains to be agreed, EU officials said.
- Unrepentant Lehman ex-CEO Fuld says firm 'was not bankrupt'
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:45:04 -0400 -
Six years, seven months and 13 days after Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc filed for bankruptcy, its former chief executive, Richard Fuld Jr., is still insisting it did not go broke. "Lehman Brothers in 2008 was not a bankrupt company," Fuld said at a conference in Manhattan on Thursday, his first such public appearance since the financial crisis for which Lehman's massive Chapter 11 filing marked a tipping point. During a speech that lasted a little more than 30 minutes, Fuld waxed nostalgic about the history of Lehman Brothers and his career on Wall Street, and ruminated about financial markets and current events.
- Fed rate hike in 2015 not consistent with mandate: Kocherlakota
- Thu, 28 May 2015 14:45:26 -0400 -
A U.S. interest rate hike this year would be a mistake, a top Federal Reserve official said on Thursday, and would represent a missed opportunity to boost employment and too-low inflation in an economy that has plenty of room to grow. "The (Fed policy-setting) committee needs to make policy choices that will lead to more great years like 2014," Minneapolis Fed President Narayana Kocherlakota said in remarks prepared for delivery in Helena, Montana, citing the dramatic improvement in the U.S. labor market last year. The Fed must be "extraordinarily patient" about reducing monetary policy accommodation, he said, so the job market can return to the strength it had in 2006, before the financial crisis hit.
- Airbus debates new A320 output hike, suffers test glitch
- Thu, 28 May 2015 20:28:59 -0400 -
Airbus is leaning toward a new hike in production of its A320 jet, raising the stakes in a battle with Boeing to translate record orders into tangible deliveries, but has yet to decide on the risks of handling unprecedented volumes.
- U.S. reaches deals with four more banks under Swiss program
- Thu, 28 May 2015 13:21:40 -0400 -
WASHINGTON/NEW YORK (Reuters) - Four more Swiss banks have cut deals with the U.S. Department of Justice to avoid possible prosecution for helping Americans evade taxes, the department said on Thursday.
- Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- Tue, 27 May 2014 17:21:50 -0400 -
NEW YORK (AP) — Here are the 10 highest-paid CEOs of 2013, as calculated by The Associated Press and Equilar, an executive pay research firm:
- Dimension Data sends 76 Australian jobs offshore
- Fri, 29 May 2015 02:46:40 -0400 -
NTT-owned Dimension Data has moved a number of its Australian support delivery jobs overseas.
- Uber's driver app now serves the hearing impaired
- Fri, 29 May 2015 02:03:00 -0400 -
- Japan remains Google Play's top country by revenue
- Fri, 29 May 2015 01:39:40 -0400 -
App Annie has said the vast majority of revenue on Google Play is made from Japan, the United States, and South Korea
- Google changes social Terms to target harassment, make room for art
- Fri, 29 May 2015 00:48:02 -0400 -
Google quietly made substantial changes to its Plus user policies, addressing the tactics of social attackers and relaxing its feelings about art nudes.
- Oh no: MIT's Cheetah robot can jump over hurdles while running
- Fri, 29 May 2015 00:05:00 -0400 - MIT's scientists spent years making the Cheetah robot a more efficient runner. Now that's done, its creators probably thought it was time to give it a major upgrade: the metal quadruped can now autonomously ...
- Google's Project Jacquard wants to put a trackpad on your pants
- Thu, 28 May 2015 23:08:00 -0400 - The ATAP division of Google is known for some the most innovative ideas to come out of Silicon Valley. It's the home of the Project Ara modular phone and Project Tango. So it's no surprise to find that ...
- Apple's latest purchase is an augmented reality company
- Thu, 28 May 2015 22:35:00 -0400 -
- Google Photos cuts out Plus to make the app we really wanted
- Thu, 28 May 2015 22:02:00 -0400 - The most striking part of the just released (on the web, iOS and Android) Google Photos is how familiar it feels if you've already been using Photos in Google+, or before that, Picasa. The biggest change ...
- Google's Now on Tap makes Android M smartphones so much smarter
- Thu, 28 May 2015 21:40:00 -0400 - In no particular order, Google's invading our living rooms, our extremities, our skies, and — curiously — our Android phones. No, really! By announcing Google Now on Tap during today's I/O keynote, the ...
- Ingogo closes AU$12 million Series C funding round
- Thu, 28 May 2015 21:33:07 -0400 -
With public listing imminent, Australian taxi app and mobile payments platform, Ingogo has taken its total funding to AU$12 million
- This foldable drone origamis itself and dissolves when done
- Thu, 28 May 2015 21:12:00 -0400 - MIT recently unveiled -- or rather, unfurled -- an unusual drone specimen. The tiny robot weighs a third of a gram and is just 1.7 cm long. It starts its existence as a flat, paper or polystyrene wafer. ...
- Australian government to auction regional 1800MHz spectrum
- Thu, 28 May 2015 21:10:00 -0400 -
4G services in regional and remote Australia could get a shot in the arm with government plans to auction spectrum in the 1800MHz band for use in regional and remote locations of Australia by the end of this year.
- Google wants more Chromecast multiplayer games and autoplaying apps
- Thu, 28 May 2015 20:40:00 -0400 -
- Google wants you to buy Big Macs with your face
- Thu, 28 May 2015 20:07:00 -0400 - Google may have been the first big tech company to push NFC payments, but it was Apple Pay that got the public excited about buying things with your smartphone. At a Google I/O session for Android Pay, ...
- Young & Entrepreneurial: Let the Adventures Begin with the Adventure Bucket List Founding Team
- Thu, 28 May 2015 19:51:00 -0400 -
Young and Entrepreneurial is a series of articles where I've decided to interview and write about young individuals disrupting the world. By sharing the stories of these individuals, I hope to inspire youth from all over the world to follow their passions, to take the road less traveled and to disrupt the status quo. This is the 20th post in...
- iPhones can be Google VR viewers, too
- Thu, 28 May 2015 19:37:00 -0400 - As we walked out of today's Google I/O keynote, we -- and all other keynote attendees -- were handed the second-generation version of Cardboard, Google's low-tech effort at a VR headset. As was announced ...
- Marine Rescue Queensland trains squadrons with Office 365
- Thu, 28 May 2015 19:27:18 -0400 -
Marine Rescue Queensland has begun managing and triaining the 1,500 volunteers across the state using Microsoft Office 365.
- Feds to overhaul program that delivers broadband to the poor
- Thu, 28 May 2015 19:17:00 -0400 - While 95 percent of American households earning six figures annually have access to broadband internet, just 48 percent of homes making under $25,000 enjoy the same benefit. Thursday, the Federal Communications ...
- 'Pillar' is a personality test and much more in video game form
- Thu, 28 May 2015 18:50:00 -0400 -
- Oil Hits One-Month Low
- Thu, 28 May 2015 18:44:39 -0400 - The major averages trending lower today on weaker conviction as volume was 12.3% below the one-month average and the lowest volume day this week.
- Sign into Netflix straight from your Google account
- Thu, 28 May 2015 18:18:00 -0400 - You've been able to sign into third-party websites with your Google credentials for years, but now the company is broadening out the places that info can take you. On its Developer Blog, the outfit is ...
- Canadian man gets fined for using his Apple Watch while driving
- Thu, 28 May 2015 18:16:00 -0400 - Now that electronics manufacturers are releasing more and more smartwatch models, you might be wondering what the authorities' stance is on using one while driving. Well, this clears things up a bit for ...
- What sweet treat will the 'M' in 'Android M' stand for?
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:50:00 -0400 - In no surprise to anyone, Google announced that its next version of Android will be called "M," the natural followup to Lollipop and its other edible mobile operating systems. We won't know for ...
- '3D printing' used to test a 'cure' for type-1 diabetes
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:33:00 -0400 -
- Another NZ tech, IkeGPS, misses forecast
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:31:00 -0400 -
IkeGPS joins a procession of tech companies in New Zealand that have missed forecasts but says momentum has built since year-end.
- Google Unveils Android Pay, Photos
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:25:25 -0400 - Google made a slew of announcements at its annual I/O developers conference in San Francisco on Thursday. The company unveiled Android Pay, Google Photos, a GoPro virtual reality partnership and more as over two million people watched via livestream.
- NHL team projects Nintendo-esque 'Bolts of Steel' game on ice
- Thu, 28 May 2015 17:12:00 -0400 - We've seen 3D projections on basketball courts and arena floors before, but the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning just took the game up a notch. Before the team's Eastern Conference Finals game on Tuesday, it ...
- Wax Woz is coming to Madame Tussauds in San Francisco
- Thu, 28 May 2015 16:53:00 -0400 -
- How Google is changing mobile for the next billion users
- Thu, 28 May 2015 16:39:00 -0400 -
Faced with a large population with slow, little or no mobile broadband, Google is tweaking its core apps to spread the mobile revolution around the world.