- Yahoo beats Wall Street view, sees Verizon deal closing in second quarter
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 19:28:47 -0500 -
Yahoo Inc on Monday reported better-than-expected quarterly profit and revenue, and said the sale of its core internet business to Verizon Communications Inc should be completed in the second quarter, allaying some investor concerns that the deal might collapse. The $4.8 billion Verizon transaction had originally been expected to close in the first quarter but was delayed by the disclosure of two major cyber breaches that exposed information from more than a billion Yahoo accounts. The Securities and Exchange Commission has opened a probe into whether Yahoo's data breaches should have been disclosed sooner to investors, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.
- U.S. judge approves VW dealers $1.2 billion settlement
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 21:42:25 -0500 -
Volkswagen AG's dealers will receive an average of $1.85 million in a $1.2 billion settlement approved by a U.S. judge on Monday over its diesel emissions scandal. U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said the 650 U.S. dealers would be paid over 18 months, ruling the settlement "fair, reasonable, and adequate." VW also agreed to keep making volume-based incentive payments to dealers, and will allow them to defer capital improvements for two years. In total, VW has now agreed to spend up to $22 billion in the United States to address claims from owners, environmental regulators, U.S. states and dealers stemming from the excess vehicle emissions.
- More businesses must work with suppliers to curb climate change: study
- Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:05:29 -0500 -
Too few businesses are working with their suppliers to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, according to study that praised 29 companies including General Motors , Sky and Sony Corp for taking the lead. "The supply chain is the new frontier in environmental responsibility – an area rich with opportunity that remains mostly unexplored," non-profit group CDP, formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project, wrote in its report published on Tuesday.
- Dollar unsettled, stocks subdued by Trump's protectionism
- Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:26:12 -0500 -
By Wayne Cole SYDNEY (Reuters) - The dollar struggled in Asia on Tuesday as U.S. President Donald Trump's focus on protectionism ahead of fiscal stimulus fueled suspicions his administration might be content to gain a competitive advantage through a weaker currency. The talk of trade wars came even as more data pointed to a welcome revival in activity worldwide. A survey of Japanese manufacturing out Tuesday showed the fastest expansion in almost three years as export orders surged. ...
- Samsung Electronics warns of political risks as chips boost Q4 profit
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 22:39:24 -0500 -
Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Tuesday said it expects profit growth in 2017 despite challenges arising from political uncertainty, after record chip earnings glossed over the Note 7 smartphone fiasco in the fourth quarter. The South Korean tech giant and Apple Inc rival is embroiled in an influence-peddling scandal surrounding President Park Geun-hye, with five Samsung Group executives already grilled by prosecutors and investigations ongoing. "The uncertain business environment such as the changing political landscape in Korea and overseas poses a challenge to the execution of mid- to long-term business strategies, such as M&A and investment decisions and developing new growth engines," Samsung Electronics said in a statement.
- Ford launches brand to sell auto parts to fix competitors' vehicles
- Tue, 24 Jan 2017 00:11:10 -0500 -
Ford Motor Co , in a bid for a piece of the rapidly growing global auto parts market, is launching a new brand called Omnicraft to sell parts to Ford dealers and independent repair shops to fix competitors' vehicles. Omnicraft joins Ford's established Motorcraft which makes parts for Ford vehicles. Frederiek Toney, president of Ford's customer service division, said the global business for automotive parts, which is now estimated at more than $500 billion, and service will expand by 70 percent in the next six years or so.
- Goldman Sachs files $1 billion countersuit against Indonesian businessman
- Tue, 24 Jan 2017 01:12:56 -0500 -
Goldman Sachs filed a $1 billion counter lawsuit on Tuesday against an Indonesian businessman who is seeking damages from the U.S. bank for conducting what he called "unlawful" trades in the shares of a property firm. Benny Tjokrosaputro, president director of Indonesian property developer PT Hanson International Tbk , filed a lawsuit in a Jakarta court on Sept. 8 against Goldman's unit, Goldman Sachs International. Tjokrosaputro, who says that he owned the 425 million Hanson shares that Goldman traded, is seeking 15 trillion rupiah ($1.1 billion) in compensation from Goldman Sachs International and wants its assets frozen in Indonesia and overseas.
- Trump pulls U.S. out of Pacific trade deal, loosening Asia ties
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 19:58:36 -0500 -
By Steve Holland and Ayesha Rascoe WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump formally withdrew the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal on Monday, distancing America from its Asian allies, as China's influence in the region rises. Fulfilling a campaign pledge to end American involvement in the 2015 pact, Trump signed an executive order in the Oval Office pulling the United States out of the 12-nation TPP. Trump, who wants to boost U.S. manufacturing, said he would seek one-on-one trade deals with countries that would allow the United States to quickly terminate them in 30 days "if somebody misbehaves." "We're going to stop the ridiculous trade deals that have taken everybody out of our country and taken companies out of our country," the Republican president said as he met with union leaders in the White House's Roosevelt Room.
- Malaysian low-cost long-haul carrier AirAsia X cleared for U.S. flights
- Tue, 24 Jan 2017 01:43:42 -0500 -
Malaysia's AirAsia X Bhd on Tuesday said it has become Asia's first low-cost carrier to receive approval to operate scheduled passenger flights to any destination within the United States. The long-haul airline in a statement said it gained approval from the United States' Federal Aviation Authority and that it was considering flights to several U.S. states including Hawaii. "Our expansion up until now has concentrated on Asia, Australasia and the Middle East, and we are excited about our first foray into an entirely new market as we look beyond Asia Pacific," Group Chief Executive Officer Kamarudin Meranun said in the statement.
- Chinese court sentences former Sinopec president to 15 and half years in prison
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 22:41:29 -0500 -
BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese court has jailed Wang Tianpu, the former president of Sinopec Group, for 15 and a half years for graft, state television said on Tuesday citing a court verdict. Sinopec Group is the parent of oil major Sinopec Corp . (Reporting by Beijing Monitoring Desk; Editing by Randy Fabi)
- Why Cyborg Essentials should be your penetration testing platform
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 21:48:00 -0500 -
Penetration testing is essential for knowing where your network and systems are weak. Jack Wallen says the right tool for that task is the Debian-based Cyborg Essentials.
- Microsoft leads the pack in enterprise collaboration tools--but for how long?
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 19:00:03 -0500 -
Forrester Research reports that Microsoft is the market leader in enterprise collaboration software, but the lead is precarious at best.
- How to back up photos and videos from an SD card on your Chromebook
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:45:57 -0500 -
If you do a lot of photo work and need to easily sync images and videos to your Google Drive account via your Chromebook, check out this tutorial.
- National League of Cities: 3 recommendations for smart city development
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:29:00 -0500 -
Many cities are focused on adding smart technology as the urban landscape continues to shift with smart, connected cities becoming the goal of the future.
- How to set up two-factor authentication on your Microsoft account
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:19:33 -0500 -
If you use a Microsoft account for work, school, or for Xbox Live this extra layer of security is a must-have. Added bonus: It's super simple to activate.
- How to migrate applications between Macs
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:44:00 -0500 -
Setting up a new Mac, while easier than in the past, still requires thought. Find out the options for simplifying application migration.
- Deceptive networking lures hackers with decoy data
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:24:33 -0500 -
Deception technology, derived from military and intelligence agencies, is a method of planting decoy endpoints to confuse and slow down attackers. Then you can turn the tables in your favor.
- How to encrypt VirtualBox VMs
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 14:13:29 -0500 -
If you want to add an extra layer of protection onto your virtual machines and you're using VirtualBox, encrypting those VMs is very simple. Here's how.
- Shift: The Google email, calendar, and drive client that's almost perfect
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 12:48:37 -0500 -
If you're looking for a single client with which to work your daily Google magic, Shift is almost there. Jack Wallen shows you what's right and wrong with this handy groupware client.
- Apple sues Qualcomm for $1B over held money, extortion
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 11:38:10 -0500 -
A recent lawsuit from Apple alleges that the chip maker overcharged for some of its products and never paid back rebates.
- Samsung closes Galaxy Note7 case, blames manufacturers for exploding batteries
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 10:57:55 -0500 -
On Monday, Samsung released the findings of its investigation into the failed Galaxy Note7 phones, concluding that irregularly-sized batteries led to the overheating issues.
- Why it's time to stop blaming open source for ransomware attacks
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:15:47 -0500 -
Open source may help to make software popular, but it is not making it less secure. Here's why.
- How to sum the top n values in Excel
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 08:44:00 -0500 -
There's usually more than one way to get a job done in Excel. Whether you prefer an expression or built-in filtering, summing the top n values is an easy task.
- Raspberry Pi rival: Asus launches Tinker Board, faster, with 2X memory and 4k video
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 08:19:00 -0500 -
With the Raspberry Pi 4 at least a year away, Asus' £55 board offers a stopgap for those looking for more power.
- How to become a Unity developer for VR and AR
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 07:00:03 -0500 -
Demand for VR and AR development skills in the enterprise is rising. Here's how you can tap into a career in this growing field.
- Microsoft's Brexit warning: We could halt UK datacenter expansion if tariffs are too high
- Mon, 23 Jan 2017 05:42:00 -0500 -
Redmond sets out its reaction to Brexit, including its hope that the UK will relax rules on letting skilled foreign workers into the UK from outside of Europe.
- Two ways to set up a one-click shortcut for creating a restore point in Windows 10
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:58:00 -0500 -
Manually creating a restore point is a bit of a clumsy process. Check out these two techniques for turning restore point creation into a one-click operation.
- Trump's tech transition: Will the president's new phone change his Twitter game?
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:53:30 -0500 -
US President Donald Trump has officially traded in his personal smartphone for one with limited features, which could impact the way he interacts with social media.
- How to fix slow Android app installations
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:12:33 -0500 -
If you've run into a crawling Google Play Store app installation, check out the fix by way of cache and a handy DNS app called DNS Changer.
- How to enable two-factor authentication for your Apple ID
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 10:56:44 -0500 -
A hacked Apple account can be worth a lot to a cybercriminal. Protect yourself by enabling two-factor authentication for your Apple ID.
- Why AI is about to make some of the highest-paid doctors obsolete
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 10:48:13 -0500 -
According to a recent New England Journal of Medicine article, radiology and pathology are particularly susceptible to the power of machine learning.
- Tesla Autopilot lowers crash rate by 40%, proves robots are better drivers
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 10:11:00 -0500 -
During an investigation into a fatal Tesla wreck, evidence was produced that shows the automaker's AI-powered Autopilot improves vehicle safety.
- Windows 10: Microsoft's enterprise upgrade push 'will pay off in 2017'
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 09:25:00 -0500 -
Microsoft's offer to upgrade some business customers to Windows 10 for free is the latest in a concerted effort to push firms to begin deployments.
- How Seattle wants to avoid becoming a 'dumb smart city'
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 09:22:24 -0500 -
Putting the right tech in place, and doing it the right way, is the key for Seattle's smart city goals. TechRepublic talked to Seattle's CIO to find out more about the city's plans.
- Poll: Will Trump improve or harm cybersecurity and digital privacy?
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 09:06:53 -0500 -
The new administration may trigger profound changes in digital security, encryption, personal privacy, and innovation. Do you think the cybersecurity changes will help or hurt business?
- How to create work-life balance in tech: 7 tips from the C-suite
- Fri, 20 Jan 2017 07:00:03 -0500 -
Disconnecting after work, allowing flexible schedules, and prioritizing personal events as much as work are all keys to finding a balance, tech professionals say.
- Extra, extra! That fake news story might come with malware
- Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:42:25 -0500 -
Fake news is worrying IT security pros, and there appears to be no end in sight.
- Is Linksys Velop mesh network a smart buy for your small business?
- Thu, 19 Jan 2017 15:28:49 -0500 -
If your small business or home office suffers from wireless dead spots, you might consider a mesh networking device. Meet one of the new players in that realm: Linksys Velop.
- Microsoft offers free Windows 10 upgrades to certain customers
- Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:08:25 -0500 -
Windows customers who have subscriptions through the Cloud Solution Provider program can now upgrade their Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs to Windows 10 for no cost.
- Why email encryption is failing, and how to fix it
- Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:53:16 -0500 -
Email encryption is a necessity, yet the masses still aren't adopting the technology. Jack Wallen offers a solution to this urgent security problem.