- Yellen says Fed rate hike likely appropriate in coming months
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:51:29 -0400 -
The Federal Reserve should raise interest rates "in the coming months" if the economy picks up as expected and jobs continue to be generated, U.S. central bank chief Janet Yellen said on Friday, bolstering the case for a rate increase in June or July. "It's appropriate ... for the Fed to gradually and cautiously increase our overnight interest rate over time, and probably in the coming months such a move would be appropriate," Yellen said during an appearance at Harvard University. Although Yellen expressed caution about too steep a rise in U.S. rates, she sounded more confident than she has in the past that the U.S. economy has rebounded from a weak winter and that inflation would edge higher toward the Fed's 2 percent target.
- Fed reaction to data barrage is focus for stocks
- Fri, 27 May 2016 20:14:47 -0400 -
By Rodrigo Campos NEW YORK (Reuters) - Data on inflation and employment, two of the economic indicators most important to a "data-dependent" U.S. Federal Reserve are expected next week. While Fed policymakers will be looking at those numbers as they decide whether to raise key interest rates as soon as June, traders will read through them to try and get ahead of the Fed decision. The Fed has remained constant in using economic data to decide whether to raise the Fed funds rate.
- Wall Street puts finishing touch on best week since March
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:29:48 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Wall Street rose on Friday and capped off its strongest week since March after U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen said an interest-rate hike would likely be appropriate "in the coming months."
- Verizon strike seen lowering U.S. May payrolls by 35,000 jobs
- Fri, 27 May 2016 14:16:17 -0400 -
The department's monthly strike report showed 35,100 Verizon employees were idle during the survey period for the May payrolls count. Striking workers who do not receive a paycheck during the period are considered unemployed. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez said on Friday that Verizon and unions representing the striking workers had reached a tentative deal.
- U.S. economic growth revised higher in first quarter
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:03:47 -0400 -
U.S. economic growth slowed in the first quarter although not as sharply as initially thought, as a surge in home building and steady inventory accumulation partially offset the drag from a steep decline in business investment. Economists said strong income growth, together with signs the economy was picking up steam in the second quarter, could give the Federal Reserve the ammunition to raise interest rates as early as next month. The U.S. central bank increased rates in December for the first time in nearly a decade.
- How four words rewrote Bayer-Monsanto deal script
- Sat, 28 May 2016 02:18:06 -0400 -
Monsanto Co President Brett Begemann uttered those words last week to a small group of investors and a Reuters reporter when asked how the world's largest seed company he helps lead might fit with German drugs and crop chemicals group Bayer AG. Bayer had sent a confidential acquisition proposal to Monsanto on May 10. Media reports surfaced two days later that Bayer was considering a bid.
- Automakers recall 12 million U.S. vehicles over Takata air bags
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:45:07 -0400 -
Eight automakers said on Friday they are recalling more than 12 million U.S. vehicles for defective Takata air bag inflators, widening the largest-ever auto safety effort to more passenger-side devices. Honda Motor Co is recalling 4.5 million U.S. vehicles while Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV is recalling 4.3 million, according to the documents. The new recall is focused on passenger-side air bag inflators, while prior recalls were for all frontal inflators.
- Sumner Redstone suggests he could oust Viacom board, CEO
- Fri, 27 May 2016 20:52:51 -0400 -
A judge set an early June hearing on the possible removal of CEO Philippe Dauman from the trust that will control the media company when Redstone dies or is deemed incapacitated. In a statement issued through a spokesman, Redstone, who turned 93 on Friday, said he would act in "the best interests of shareholders," when weighing whether or not to oust Dauman and the company's board. Redstone, who holds 80 percent of the voting shares in Viacom and CBS Corp , last week removed Dauman and Viacom board member George Abrams from the seven-person trust that will control the shares after Redstone exits.
- Verizon and unions reach tentative deal to end strike
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:41:03 -0400 -
Verizon Communications Inc and unions representing nearly 40,000 wireline workers have reached a tentative deal "in principle" to end a strike that started April 13th, U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez said on Friday. Shares in Verizon, the No. 1 U.S. wireless company, jumped as much as 1.2 percent after the announcement and in afternoon trading were up almost 1 percent at $50.61. Workers that included network technicians and customer service representatives in the company's Fios Internet, telephone and television services walked off the job after contract talks hit an impasse.
- N.J. Governor Christie signs Atlantic City rescue package into law
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:36:31 -0400 -
The bills will help reform the city's "overblown municipal government" while protecting state and local taxpayers, Christie said in a statement while continuing to take shots at local officials. "We all agree that Atlantic City's government has not demonstrated the competence to properly manage the people's money without state guidance and oversight," he said. The legislation "embraces my demand that Atlantic City immediately account for every dollar it receives and spends, and triggers a series of strict conditions and rigorous requirements the city must meet immediately," Christie said.
- Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- Tue, 27 May 2014 17:21:50 -0400 -
NEW YORK (AP) — Here are the 10 highest-paid CEOs of 2013, as calculated by The Associated Press and Equilar, an executive pay research firm:
- Europe will make publicly funded scientific research public
- Sat, 28 May 2016 03:03:00 -0400 -
- Twitter awarded bug bounty hunters $322,420 over two years
- Sat, 28 May 2016 02:34:00 -0400 -
- Apple Car hints and Tesla Autopilot misses (AutoComplete Podcast 20)
- Sat, 28 May 2016 00:00:03 -0400 -
In this week's rundown of the biggest stories, Brian and Tim talk about the latest in what seems like a series of never-ending Takata recalls, but find some light at the end of the Dieselgate tunnel.
- Showrunner / executive producer leaves Netflix's talk show
- Fri, 27 May 2016 23:58:00 -0400 -
- Jawbone is selling off pieces of its business, reports say
- Fri, 27 May 2016 23:44:31 -0400 - Jawbone has put its speaker business up for sale and has stopped production of its UP fitness trackers, two news sites say.
- Zika makes Olympics too dangerous to hold now in Rio, scientists tell UN
- Fri, 27 May 2016 23:38:33 -0400 -
More than 100 health experts and scientists call on the UN's World Health Organization to move or delay this year's summer Olympics.
- Google and Ray Kurzweil are making chatbots together
- Fri, 27 May 2016 23:22:00 -0400 -
- Activists say Vietnam shut down Facebook during Obama's visit
- Fri, 27 May 2016 22:58:00 -0400 -
- Latest robot roach can leap like the real thing
- Fri, 27 May 2016 22:23:00 -0400 -
- NBC will air the 2016 Rio Olympics in 4K, HDR and Atmos
- Fri, 27 May 2016 21:56:00 -0400 -
- Hoping for a happy adulthood for Harry Potter? Think again
- Fri, 27 May 2016 20:54:49 -0400 -
Accio Kleenex! Fans are going to do some sobbing if they see the new play "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child," J.K. Rowling promises.
- Fri, 27 May 2016 20:53:00 -0400 -
- 'No Man's Sky' is delayed until August 9th
- Fri, 27 May 2016 20:12:00 -0400 -
- Take Amazon's Alexa for a spin in your browser
- Fri, 27 May 2016 20:04:00 -0400 -
- Do you talk to your mother like that? Twitter users say 'slut' and 'whore' a LOT, study finds
- Fri, 27 May 2016 19:44:43 -0400 -
Twitter users in the UK abusively hurled the terms around 10,000 times during the course of just three weeks.
- How to use Windows 10's Resource Monitor to track memory usage
- Fri, 27 May 2016 18:04:03 -0400 -
Windows 10 offers a number of ways to keep an eye on your system's memory usage. Here's a rundown of the options you'll find on Resource Monitor's Memory tab.
- SpaceX's next rocket launch and landing is just minutes away
- Fri, 27 May 2016 17:37:00 -0400 -
- GameStop expecting new console announcements at E3
- Fri, 27 May 2016 17:26:02 -0400 -
Get ready for some console announcements at E3, GameStop says.
- Town forces asses to wear diapers
- Fri, 27 May 2016 17:22:55 -0400 -
Technically Incorrect: Citing a need to preserve its tarmac roads, the town of Wajir in Kenya does the unthinkable and requires underwear on its donkeys.
- Hulu may lose most of its anime catalog come June (update)
- Fri, 27 May 2016 17:17:00 -0400 -
- Senator behind biometric privacy act tries to remove its teeth
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:57:00 -0400 -
- Alaska can't spell Hawaii, and this other state can't spell itself
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:53:19 -0400 -
In honor of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, Google Trends releases a map showing which word each state struggles to spell.
- Jawbone is reportedly stopping production on all of its fitness trackers
- Fri, 27 May 2016 16:37:00 -0400 -
- Verizon reaches tentative deal to end employee strike
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:47:53 -0400 -
The dispute had gotten so bad the Labor Department had to step in to help with the talks.
- Digital bootstrapping: Hyundai releases DIY update kit for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:37:53 -0400 -
You can still have it done at the dealership if you're not comfortable upgrading your own car, but there will be an installation fee.
- Google said to be beta testing Trips traveling app
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:32:11 -0400 -
The app, reportedly rolling out in beta version, lets users organize their reservations, find places of interest and explore the best restaurants.
- Banking service SWIFT adds new security plan following hacks
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:26:00 -0400 -
- Intel snaps up Itseez, a startup that helps your car see better
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:22:02 -0400 -
The acquisition of the computer vision specialist boosts Intel's push into the world of the Internet of Things and the self-driving vehicle market.
- Does a MacBook Pro with an OLED touch bar excite you? (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast, Ep. 39)
- Fri, 27 May 2016 15:08:54 -0400 -
The latest MacBook Pro rumors point to an all-new design, but will it be that great? Plus, all the latest iPhone 7 and 7 Plus news and rumors.