- Main suspect in Strasbourg attack killed in gun battle with police: officials
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:43:21 -0500 - The suspected gunman who killed three people at a Christmas market in the French city of Strasbourg was shot dead on Thursday in a brief gun battle with police after being on the run for 48 hours, police sources said.
- Federal prosecutors probing Trump inauguration spending: WSJ
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:39:00 -0500 - Federal prosecutors are investigating whether U.S. President Donald Trump's inaugural committee misspent some of the record $107 million it raised from donors, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday, citing people it said were familiar with the matter.
- U.S. recession risks jump, Fed rate hike expectations slump: Reuters poll
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:19:47 -0500 - The risk of a U.S. recession in the next two years has risen to 40 percent, according to a Reuters poll of economists who also found a significant shift in expectations toward fewer Federal Reserve interest rate rises next year.
- Exclusive: France plans Renault CEO hunt as board frays over Ghosn - sources
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:09:54 -0500 - The French government is seeking candidates to replace Renault's embattled boss Carlos Ghosn, sources told Reuters, as board members began to voice doubts about keeping him in office following his indictment in Japan for suspected misconduct.
- Bomb threats demanding bitcoin sweep U.S., Canada, none found credible
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:06:08 -0500 - A rash of bomb threats were emailed on Thursday to hundreds of businesses, public offices and schools across the United States and Canada demanding payment in cryptocurrency, but none of the threats appeared credible, law enforcement officials said.
- Bitcoin ransoms just are not what they used to be
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 19:06:08 -0500 - The people behind a rash of bomb threats made across the United States and Canada on Thursday demanded a $20,000 ransom to be paid in bitcoin. Authorities said none of the threats - emailed to hundreds of businesses, public offices and schools - appeared credible.
- New Zealand police investigating bomb threat emails: cyber security agency
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:48:12 -0500 - Police in New Zealand are investigating email threats received by some residents that claim explosive devices were hidden in their offices, the cyber security agency CERT NZ said on Friday after similar threats were made in the United States and Canada.
- U.S. Senate hands Trump historic rebuke on Saudi Arabia
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:47:25 -0500 - The U.S. Senate delivered a rare double rebuke to President Donald Trump on Saudi Arabia on Thursday, voting to end U.S. military support for the war in Yemen and blame the Saudi crown prince for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Some Trump advisers tell him to consider Kushner as chief of staff: sources
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:45:27 -0500 - President Donald Trump has been hearing appeals from some advisers to consider his son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner for the position of White House chief of staff, two sources familiar with the situation said on Thursday.
- Evidence of Apple switch ruled inadmissible in Qualcomm antitrust case
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:40:37 -0500 - A federal judge on Thursday ruled that evidence provided by chip supplier Qualcomm Inc that major phone makers like Apple Inc have moved to competing suppliers like Intel Corp cannot be used to fight allegations Qualcomm acted to preserve a monopoly on some mobile phone chips.
- Instacart, Amazon's Whole Foods relationship to end next year
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:32:31 -0500 - Instacart said on Thursday it will stop delivering groceries for Whole Foods next year, ending a partnership that has been under stress since Amazon.com Inc bought the upmarket grocer last year.
- New York sues Target, Walmart for sale of lead-contaminated toys
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:31:16 -0500 - New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood said on Thursday that she had filed a lawsuit against Target Corp , Walmart Inc and toy importer LaRose Industries over the sale of lead-contaminated children's toys.
- Wall Street ends flat as nervous investors flock to defensive shares
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:20:07 -0500 - The S&P 500 finished little changed after a volatile session on Thursday, as investors continued to be spooked by uncertainty on both domestic and international issues, driving up bids for defensive shares while financials and consumer discretionary stocks were the biggest drags.
- May urges EU to help get Brexit 'over the line'
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:18:49 -0500 - Britain's weakened prime minister, Theresa May, appealed to fellow EU leaders on Thursday for concessions to help her win support in parliament next month for a deal that can smooth Britain's exit from the European Union.
- EU offers Britain some assurances over Brexit backstop
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:18:49 -0500 - European Union leaders gave Prime Minister Theresa May assurances on Thursday that they would seek to agree a new deal with Britain by 2021 so that the contentious Irish "backstop" is never triggered.
- Long-time GE bear ditches negative view, shares jump
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:18:43 -0500 - A JP Morgan analyst who has long held a negative outlook on General Electric Co shares as they have tumbled upgraded his view on the conglomerate's stock on Thursday.
- EU leaders agreed Irish backstop should only be temporary: Austria's Kurz
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:17:28 -0500 - EU leaders agreed on Thursday to spell out that the "backstop" guarantee to avoid a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland should only be a temporary solution, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said.
- Starbucks sales growth to be steady despite UberEats deal, plans for China expansion
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 18:10:50 -0500 - Starbucks Corp said on Thursday it was partnering with UberEats for delivery from about 3,500 U.S. stores and would nearly double its outlets in China over the next four years, but forecast that same-store sales would remain steady, sending shares down 3 percent.
- Butina admits being Russian agent, pleads guilty in U.S. to conspiracy
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 17:55:17 -0500 - A Russian woman pleaded guilty in a U.S. court on Thursday to a single conspiracy charge in a deal with prosecutors and admitted to working with a top Russian official to infiltrate a powerful gun rights group and make inroads with American conservative activists and the Republican Party as an agent for Moscow.
- Virgin Galactic completes crewed space test, more flights soon
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 17:53:26 -0500 - A Virgin Galactic rocket plane reached space on Thursday and returned safely to the California desert, capping years of testing to become the first U.S. commercial human flight to breach Earth's atmosphere since America's shuttle program ended in 2011.