- Unknown election outcome is stocks' big fear
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:09:53 -0400 -
By Ryan Vlastelica NEW YORK (Reuters) - A handful of toss-up U.S. Senate races next week could hold the key to whether the stock market glides through the year-end in a typical post-midterm election rally or gets hit with a fresh bout of volatility. U.S. investors appear less concerned with whether Republicans take control of the Senate, as expected, or Democrats hang on to their majority by a slim margin. They just want to know - come Wednesday morning - the actual outcome. ...
- China's October factory growth unexpectedly slips to five-month low: official PMI
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:45:53 -0400 -
BEIJING (Reuters) - Growth in China's factories fell to a five-month low in October, missing expectations for an expansion as manufacturers battled cooling order growth and rising costs in the slowing economy. The official Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) eased to 50.8 in October from September's 51.1, the National Bureau of Statistics said on Saturday, but above the 50-point level that separates growth from contraction on a monthly basis. Analysts polled by Reuters had forecast a reading of 51.2. Growth in new orders cooled in October, as the index retreated to 51.6 from 52.2. ...
- U.S. consumer spending falters; wage gains highest since 2008
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:28:31 -0400 -
By Lucia Mutikani WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. consumer spending fell for the first time in eight months in September, suggesting the economy lost some momentum heading into the fourth quarter. But rising consumer sentiment and faster wage growth suggest the weakness in spending will be temporary, with the economy remaining on firm ground. "The fundamentals ... remain very solid," said Gus Faucher, a senior economist at PNC Financial Services in Pittsburgh. "The conditions are in place for continued above-trend growth. ...
- J.P. Morgan found hackers through breach of corporate event website: media
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:56:21 -0400 -
(Reuters) - J.P. Morgan Chase & Co learned about hackers who stole the bank's contact information for 76 million households and 7 million small businesses through a corporate event that it sponsors, the New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. According to the reports, the bank discovered that the intruders had used some of the same offshore servers to hack both the bank and the website of the JPMorgan Corporate Challenge. ...
- U.S. consumer sentiment at highest since July 2007
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:57:49 -0400 -
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. consumer sentiment rose in October to its highest level since in more than seven years on growing optimism about the economy and more favorable personal financial expectations, a survey released on Friday showed. The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan's final October reading on the overall index on consumer sentiment finished at 86.9, the highest level since July 2007, up from 84.6 at the end of September. The late October reading was up slightly from its initial figure of 86.4, which was also the expected reading of economists polled by Reuters. ...
- Exxon, Chevron results boosted by refining as oil prices slip
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:32:25 -0400 -
(Reuters) - A surge in refining profits boosted quarterly results at Exxon Mobil Corp and Chevron Corp , helping to offset declining oil and gas production and falling crude oil prices. Both companies reported better-than-expected third-quarter profits on Friday, with executives touting the importance of owning massive refineries alongside oil and gas wells. Refining profits tend to rise when oil prices fall, though low prices dent the profitability of wells. Having both in a company stable can allow for a bit of insurance during price swings. ...
- Top U.S. oil companies see more pressure to clamp down on spending
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:54:38 -0400 -
By Anna Driver HOUSTON (Reuters) - Top U.S. oil producers, which already were reining in spending before crude prices started to slip in June, are now looking to trim more fat from their budgets while reminding investors they must spend to grow. Exxon Mobil Corp on Friday it would keep its current spending plan intact, though it is about 15 percent less than 2013. ConocoPhillips said it will spend less money next year, and Chevron Corp said it is looking for budget "flexibility." Crude oil prices have slumped 25 percent since June as global supplies grow and demand weakens. ...
- Dollar General extends tender offer for Family Dollar shares again
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:00:45 -0400 -
(Reuters) - Dollar General Corp extended its tender offer for shares of Family Dollar Stores Inc to Dec. 31, until after a shareholder vote that will decide the fate of a rival bid by Dollar Tree Inc . Dollar General had received offers for only about 4 million Family Dollar shares of a total 114 million outstanding shares as of Oct. 30, a day before the offer was to expire. Dollar General's perseverance to close a deal highlights its struggles in a weak economy where penny-pinching customers look for more discounts and deals. ...
- Herbalife to pay $15 million to settle class action lawsuit
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:53:58 -0400 -
By Devika Krishna Kumar (Reuters) - Herbalife Ltd would pay $15 million to settle an 18-month battle over a class action lawsuit brought by a former distributor claiming that the nutrition and supplements company is running an alleged pyramid scheme, according to a U.S. court filing. The company would pay $15 million in cash, plus up to $2.5 million for product returns, according to the court filing that granted preliminary approval for the settlement on Friday. ...
- Exclusive: U.S. probing Standard Chartered over Dubai banking - sources
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:08:36 -0400 -
By Karen Freifeld NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. authorities are investigating London-based Standard Chartered Plc for potential U.S. sanctions violations connected to its banking for Iranian-controlled entities in Dubai, according to people familiar with the probe. The latest investigation involving the bank is based, in part, from evidence that emerged during a separate probe of BNP Paribas, the French bank that pleaded guilty this summer to charges related to sanctions-busting and agreed to pay $8.9 billion in penalties, the people said. During the course of the BNP case, U.S. ...
- US stocks are mixed in midday trading
- Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:21:51 -0400 -
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks drifted in Thursday trading as a parade of big companies turn in quarterly results. The Dow Jones industrial average climbed more than 100 points, almost entirely thanks to a strong gain for Visa, the Dow's highest-priced stock.
- US stocks are mixed in early trading
- Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:40:57 -0400 -
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening mixed as investors look over more earnings reports from big companies.
- Chat with ghosts using an emoji ouija board
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:21:25 -0400 -
You text your live friends with emoji, so why not give ghosts the same chance to use their favorite symbols to communicate? Help fund the Emouija Board to give spirits a chance to chat.>
- Sign-language translator uses gesture-sensing technology
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:04:01 -0400 -
A team of deaf entrepreneurs is developing software to bridge the communication gap between hearing and hearing-impaired people.>
- Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo crashes, 1 dead
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:00:52 -0400 -
The space plane, designed for space tourism, crashed in California's Mojave Desert. One fatality and one major injury have been confirmed by Virgin Galactic.>
- 'Work and Family Month' Shouldn't Need To Exist
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:37:07 -0400 -
During the floor debate for Rhode Island's paid family leave legislation -- which would ultimately pass both houses and would be signed into law on July 11 by Governor Chafee -- State Representative Grace Diaz had this to say: "Most people work to support their families. In difficult times, we need to be with the ones we love. Families come...
- The 404 Show 1,574: Halloween episode, Seth Rogen as Steve Wozniak? Starbucks delivery (podcast)
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:21:34 -0400 -
It's an ultra-creepy episode of The 404 today -- way creepier than normal. Will Seth Rogen play Steve Wozniak? Can an app pinpoint your death? Why would you want Starbucks delivered to your house?>
- Amazon diversity report no surprise, largely male and white
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:21:25 -0400 -
Amazon's diversity scorecard fills out how one would expect from tech firms these days, unfortunately.>
- Dear Corporate America: Stop Whining and Give Millennials What They Want
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:18:46 -0400 -
Let me start off by saying even as a Millennial myself, I am sick of hearing about Millennials. It seems like it is almost impossible these days to pick up a newspaper, read a blog or even watch the news without hearing about the loved and hated Generation Y: what they want, what they don't want, why they suck, why they are awesome, and why...
- Amazon Fire Phone burns on
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:51:36 -0400 -
Amazon hasn't given up on the Fire Phone, Facebook makes it easy to mask your identity with Tor, and the Starbucks app will offer treats for delivery.>
- Roku adds Google Play channel
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:18:15 -0400 -
The Google video service becomes the latest addition to the Roku streaming box.>
- Here's your Halloween zombie-anatomy lesson
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:52:23 -0400 -
Can zombies empathize? Are they near-sighted or far-sighted? Study up with this fully interactive model of zombie anatomy if you want to survive the zombie apocalypse.>
- BlackBerry Messenger lets you take back that text
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:42:35 -0400 -
The new version of the messaging app -- which works on BlackBerry, Android and iOS -- has an unsend feature. It also pulls a Snapchat by letting users send vanishing messages.>
- Friday Poll: Could AI threaten humanity?
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:59:58 -0400 -
Elon Musk opened up a wave of discussion with his assertion that artificial intelligence has the potential to do horrible things to humanity.>
- Whovians: Bake a pudding brain cake in time for Halloween
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:47:20 -0400 -
All you pudding brains who have been keeping up with the latest season of "Doctor Who" can make your very own pudding brain for All Hallows' Eve.>
- Get a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 with 4G LTE for $159
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:22:30 -0400 -
What!?! This big tablet originally sold for over $500. And it comes with 32GB of storage, not just 16GB.>
- Sunlight glints off Saturn moon's seas in dazzling NASA image
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:15:07 -0400 -
Saturn's captivating moon Titan once again draws the eye as NASA releases a color mosaic showing the sun shining on its polar seas.>
- Sony posts $1.2 billion loss as mobile business falls off a cliff
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:11:27 -0400 -
Dragging down the rest of the company Sony's mobile unit posts a quarterly operating loss of $1.6 billion on $2.8 billion in revenue.>
- Amazon exec: Fire Phone was overpriced
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:41:00 -0400 -
A top Amazon executive acknowledges that the company missed the boat with its Fire Phone and that the original price may be to blame.>
- 3D-printed T. rex roars water onto your body
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:28:55 -0400 -
Transport your bathroom back to the dinosaur age with a shower head modeled after a toothy Tyrannosaurus rex skull.>
- How Google tricks itself to protect Chrome user privacy
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:42:20 -0400 -
An open-source project called Rappor uses randomly muddled data to let Google gather information about people's software usage while keeping individuals' behavior private.>
- What Oil Is Telling You
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:36:28 -0400 - Since its recent peak at the end of June, the price of oil has dropped more than 20 percent. As a consequence, the S&P 500 Energy index has suffered a decline of about 15 percent over the same time frame (compared to a small increase for the overall index). The drop in oil (and corresponding drop in energy stocks) is causing much...
- Android stays 'unbeatable' in smartphone market -- for now
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:32:41 -0400 -
Google's mobile OS reigned supreme in the third quarter with 84 percent of global shipments, says research firm Strategy Analytics. And then there are the warning signs.>
- Sprint extends $20 lease program to Galaxy S5, Galaxy S5 Sport
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:12:12 -0400 -
The program, where customers essentially rent a phone, was originally launched with Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.>
- Huawei does the Honors in CNET UK podcast 409
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:55:29 -0400 -
Huawei has a new name for Europe, while drones are proving to be both good and evil this Halloween.>
- Low Latency 113: Bro band
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:46:34 -0400 -
Out of nowhere, Microsoft debuted a fitness tracking smartwatch called the Band. At first glance, it's kind of awesome.>
- Samsung has a moment, topping Apple in phone activations
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:38:37 -0400 -
The third quarter was dandy for Samsung in the US, but researcher CIRP says the iPhone 6 should propel Apple back into the lead in the final three months of 2014.>
- HTC swings to slim profit, but sales still down in 'challenging quarter'
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:58:18 -0400 -
The HTC One M8 and Desire smartphones have helped HTC avoid a second cruel summer of losses.>
- Telenor partners with Opera in Myanmar to help relieve bandwidth overload
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:40:15 -0400 -
As demand for bandwidth increase, carriers in Myanmar are looking toward third-party solutions such as Opera to help relieve traffic congestion.>
- Nikkei Soars As Bank Of Japan Announces Unexpected Stimulus Measures
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 02:38:32 -0400 -
TOKYO (AP) — Japan's central bank surprised the financial world and pleased investors Friday by intensifying its purchases of government bonds and other assets to try to revive a chronically anemic economy.The Bank of Japan's move to pump trillions more yen into the financial system is intended to stimulate spending in the world's...