- Asia stocks boast biggest rise in 15 months, BOJ brightens
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:16:19 -0500 -
By Wayne Cole SYDNEY (Reuters) - Asian shares enjoyed their best day in 15 months on Friday, after Wall Street boasted its biggest two-day advance since late 2011 amid relief the Federal Reserve was in no rush to withdraw stimulus from the U.S. economy. The gains came even as oil stayed under pressure, suggesting equity investors were beginning to see the positives in lower fuel costs and increased consumer spending power. Japan's Nikkei climbed 2.0 percent to erase most of it's recent losses, while Australia's main index romped ahead by 2.1 percent . ...
- Brent steady below $60, heads for fourth weekly decline as oversupply persists
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:06:20 -0500 -
By Jacob Gronholt-Pedersen SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Brent crude held below $60 a barrel near a 5-1/2-year low on Friday as a global oversupply of oil showed little sign of receding, even as companies cut upstream investments next year. Oil prices were on track for a fourth straight week of declines after OPEC members last month decided against cutting production in response to a drop of nearly 50 percent in prices since late June. Brent crude for February delivery was up 4 cents at $59.31 a barrel by 0341 GMT (10:41 p.m. EST). The contract had settled down $1. ...
- Russian ruble weakens as traders see no major measures in Putin speech
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 05:17:34 -0500 -
MOSCOW (Reuters) - The ruble weakened against the dollar and euro on Thursday with traders saying President Vladimir Putin had so far offered no concrete measures to pull Russia out of a crisis at his end-of-year news conference. At 0954 GMT (04:54 a.m. EST), the ruble was around 3 percent weaker against the dollar at 62.04 after opening more than 1 percent higher. The rouble was also around 2 percent weaker versus the euro at 76.50 on the Moscow Exchange. ...
- Amazon's cloud business a harder sell in post-Snowden era
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:09:45 -0500 -
SAN FRANCISCO/SEATTLE (Reuters) - This spring, Taser International Inc won a small but high-profile contract to supply body cameras to the London police. But the deal nearly collapsed over one issue: where the video footage would be stored.
- JPMorgan report to outline improved controls: activist
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:03:42 -0500 -
By Ross Kerber BOSTON (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co will soon issue a report outlining improved controls it has been enacting in the wake of recent missteps, including its role in the 2008 financial crisis, according to a shareholder activist who has seen a draft. The report could add pressure on other banks to show tangible changes to policies after a slew of scandals tainted the industry, according to the activist, Seamus Finn, chair of the board of the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility. ...
- U.S. to sell final $1.25 billion shares of Ally Financial from bailout
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:48:47 -0500 -
(Reuters) - The U.S. Treasury Department will sell its remaining 54.9 million shares of Ally Financial Inc acquired under the government's bailout of the auto lender, Ally said on Thursday. The stake is worth about $1.25 billion, based on Ally's Thursday closing price of $22.75 on the New York Stock Exchange. Separately, Ally said in a regulatory filing that it had received a subpoena from the Department of Justice for information related to its subprime automotive finance lending practices. ...
- China 2013 GDP revision won't affect growth this year
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:45:56 -0500 -
BEIJING (Reuters) - China has revised up the estimated size of its economy for 2013 by 3.4 percent to 58.8 trillion yuan ($9.5 trillion), the National Bureau of Statistics said on Friday, but said the revision will not affect economic growth this year.
- Unilever drops mayonnaise suit against Just Mayo maker
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:36:59 -0500 -
By Kanika Sikka (Reuters) - Unilever Plc's U.S. division said it has withdrawn its lawsuit against food startup Hampton Creek over false advertising and unfair competition related to its Just Mayo product. Unilever, famous for its mayonnaise brand Hellmann's, had filed a suit against Hampton Creek earlier this year accusing the company of advertising Just Mayo, an eggless spread, as mayonnaise. Unilever alleged that the spread could not be defined as mayonnaise under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's definition as it did not contain eggs. ...
- American Apparel approached for possible buyout: WSJ
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:00:49 -0500 -
(Reuters) - Clothing manufacturer American Apparel Inc has been approached by private equity firm Irving Place Capital for a possible takeover, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources. The Los Angeles-based retailer received an expression of interest from Irving Place in the last couple of weeks, people familiar with the matter told the Journal, adding that the approach was initially rebuffed because of the low price. Irving Place then raised its price range to $1.30 to $1.40 per share. The board has yet to respond, the sources told the Journal. ...
- Thai Union Frozen to buy U.S. tuna firm Bumble Bee for $1.5 billion
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 00:25:41 -0500 -
By Khettiya Jittapong BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai Union Frozen Products , the world's largest canned tuna producer, is buying U.S. tuna major Bumble Bee Seafoods for $1.5 billion from a private equity firm as part of a plan to double revenue to $8 billion by 2020 through overseas purchases. Thai Union, which makes "Chicken of the Sea" brand tuna and counts Wal-Mart Stores Inc and Costco Wholesale Corp among its clients, said on Friday its biggest-ever purchase will give it North America's largest seafood brands like Bumble Bee, Brunswick and Sweet Sue. ...
- General strike shuts down services across Greece
- Wed, 06 Nov 2013 08:55:42 -0500 -
ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Services across Greece shut down Wednesday as unions staged a 24-hour general strike and held peaceful demonstrations to protest further austerity cuts in the cash-strapped country.
- Unemployment rates fall in two-thirds of US states
- Fri, 18 May 2012 11:34:11 -0400 - Unemployment rates fell in two-thirds of U.S. states last month, evidence that modest economic growth is boosting hiring in most areas of the country.
- US stocks edge higher in afternoon trading
- Thu, 22 May 2014 15:04:30 -0400 -
Stocks were on track to finish higher Thursday afternoon for the second day in a row as investors drew encouragement from reports on Chinese manufacturing, U.S. home sales and some positive earnings from Best Buy, Dollar Tree and other retailers.
- US stocks edge higher in midday trading
- Thu, 22 May 2014 12:33:25 -0400 -
Major stock indexes shifted higher in midday trading Thursday, getting a lift from an encouraging report on Chinese manufacturing and some positive earnings from Best Buy, Dollar Tree and other retailers. The market also got a boost from data showing modest improvement in sales of previously occupied homes.
- US stocks are mixed in early trading
- Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:40:57 -0400 -
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening mixed as investors look over more earnings reports from big companies.
- Google accuses Hollywood of 'trying to censor the Internet'
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:46:12 -0500 -
Using information from alleged documents leaked by the Sony hackers, Google said the Motion Picture Association of America and Mississippi's attorney general conspired to limit free speech on the Internet.>
- Tomorrow Daily 103: Man's bionic arms make history, NASA proposes cloud cities on Venus and more
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:45:10 -0500 -
On today's show, we tell you how one man is making history with dual bionic arms, why a team at NASA thinks we should look into sending astronauts to Venus instead of Mars, and when you might be able to purchase animated statues of your favorite characters.>
- Flickr ends sale of prints uploaded under Creative Commons
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:48:41 -0500 -
The photo-sharing site apologizes for offering professional quality reprints of images uploaded for free use.>
- Judge May Toss 4 Guilty Pleas In Insider-Trade Case
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:25:07 -0500 -
NEW YORK (AP) — A judge said Thursday he's leaning toward tossing out four guilty pleas in an insider-trading case, the latest fallout from a recent appeals court ruling criticizing prosecutors' tactics.U.S. District Judge Andrew L. Carter Jr. notified attorneys of his plans in separate proceedings for five defendants. He said he believes...
- You're asking the wrong questions about Serial
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:26:40 -0500 -
Commentary: The super popular Serial podcast has concluded its first season, but was there a conclusion? Crave's Eric Mack draws a few, including some you probably haven't heard. Warning: spoilers.>
- Uber agrees to suspend service in Portland after lawsuit
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:25:24 -0500 -
Ride-sharing service plans to pause operations for three months while the city takes time to craft new taxi regulations.>
- Man fined for crashing drone over police operation in Melbourne
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:55:30 -0500 -
A man has been fined for flying a drone over police during a nine-hour siege in Melbourne after the remotely piloted aircraft hit power lines and almost injured police below.>
- Best Life/Career Advice: Relationships Trump Jobs!
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:37:13 -0500 -
My name is Mark Wayman and for the last ten years I have owned an Executive Recruiting company focused on gaming and high tech. Over 600 successful placements, salary range of $100,000 to $2,000,000, with an average compensation package of $200,000+. That includes seven executives north of a million dollars in 2014. Work exclusively by...
- Why the BlackBerry Classic is critical to the new BlackBerry
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:08:39 -0500 -
Hint: It's not about smartphone sales volume or market share.>
- Diagnose your kid's ear infection with your iPhone
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:51:11 -0500 -
Meet the Oto Home, a portable otoscope that attaches to your iPhone's camera to send a video of your kid's ear to a licensed physician for a cheaper diagnosis.>
- Claman on Call: A (Dow) Rally to Remember
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:50:29 -0500 - Welcome to Claman on Call. The markets might be closed but FOX Business is always on call.
- 2014: The Year of the Hack
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:35:56 -0500 -
We ended this year the same way we rang it in - reeling from cyberattacks. Meanwhile, tech experts forecast doom for the future of privacy.>
- Should the Fed Be Worried About Deflation?
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:28:01 -0500 -
The Labor Department reported Consumer Price Index (CPI) figures for November this morning. The sequential headline drop of 0.3% compared to October was the biggest decline since the 0.8% decline reported for December, 2008. As the table below shows, the MoM drop was largely due to a 3.8% decrease in energy prices during the month. Prices...
- Connecticut communities join together for gigabit broadband
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:18:58 -0500 -
Connecticut takes the first step toward launching a gigabit broadband network that officials hope will spur competition and lead to higher-speed service at lower prices.>
- Icahn Offers $20M to Keep A.C. Trump Casino Open
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:04:24 -0500 - Billionaire investor Carl Icahn offered $20 million in financing on Thursday to keep the Trump Taj Mahal from becoming the fifth casino to close this year in New Jersey's troubled Atlantic City, was once the only major destination for gamblers on the U.S. East Coast.
- Beyond the Sony hack: How companies can clamp down on cyberattacks
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:04:03 -0500 -
Data breaches are on the rise, but cybersecurity experts say employees and companies can still make broad changes to cut back on hacks.>
- Two Responsibilities a CEO Should Not Delegate
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:03:41 -0500 -
The only way to ensure your company thrives and that you remain sane, is to delegate responsibilities and authorities. If you take on the entire to-do list, you end up doing everything but your job. You agonize over how to get the myriad tasks and projects done. By delegating, you decide who will get them done, and let them go. Just don't let...
- Cadillac virtual mirror improves vision
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:01:17 -0500 -
Cadillac announces today that its new CT6 model, due out next year, will incorporate a virtual rearview mirror, increasing rear visibility by 300 percent.>
- FBN to Debut 'Strange Inheritance' in January
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:26:40 -0500 - FOX Business Network announced Thursday it will debut 'Strange Inheritance,' a new primetime story-driven reality series hosted by Jamie Colby, on Monday, Jan. 26, 2015, at 9 p.m. ET.
- Dovish Fed Continues to Fuel Street Rally
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:07:00 -0500 - After a Fed-fueled rally from a dovish FOMC statement Wednesday, Wall Street continued its run higher Thursday, with the Dow gaining more than 400 points and all ten S&P sectors in the green.
- What VR needs next
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:01:40 -0500 -
Virtual reality is actually real, and it's finally here. But there's a lot of work that needs to be done before it's ready to be experienced by everyone.>
- Cop allegedly objects to proof of insurance on phone, gets law wrong
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:35:17 -0500 -
In more than half the states, drivers are allowed to show proof of car insurance electronically. One driver, allegedly pulled over for playing "F--- Tha Police," says the cop who stopped him didn't know the law.>
- We Need You to Step Into Your Spotlight (Here's Why)
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:28:04 -0500 -
Image credit: Chris SardegnaGuess what? When you don't play full out in your business, it isn't just limiting your bottom line. You're also missing an opportunity to inspire others to make their own business goals go from doubtful to inevitable. And that can have incredible power. I saw the magnitude of this kind of impact during an...
- Why You Are Wasting Your Time on Social Media (and How to Fix It!)
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:29:38 -0500 -
Does this sound like your schedule? Do you spend your days floundering around the various social networks posting, commenting, sharing, and liking? How are entrepreneurs supposed to get any actual work done if they are spending every waking moment on social media?We can't.Just like with traditional advertising, you get better results when you...
- Internet Explorer 'browser ballot' ends, takes market share with it
- Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:04:18 -0500 -
Microsoft's browser was the dominant force in 2009 when the EU required the company to offer consumers a choice of browsers. But that has changed dramatically over the past several years.>