- Asia shares climb on U.S. optimism, oil pressured before OPEC
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:32:30 -0500 -
TOKYO (Reuters) - Asian stocks edged up on Wednesday after data showing the U.S. economy growing at a relatively solid pace calmed investor anxiety over slowing global growth, while the Australian dollar languished near four-year lows against the dollar.
- Wall Street ends little changed after mixed data batch
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:52:36 -0500 -
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks ended little changed on Tuesday as the U.S. economy grew more than expected last quarter but soft readings on consumer confidence and house prices kept major indexes in a tight range.
- U.S. economy resilient in Q3 as global growth cools
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:23:02 -0500 -
By Lucia Mutikani WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. economy grew at a much faster pace than initially thought in the third quarter, pointing to strengthening fundamentals that should help it weather slowing global demand. The Commerce Department on Tuesday raised its estimate of GDP growth to a 3.9 percent annual pace from the 3.5 percent rate reported last month, reflecting upward revisions to business and consumer spending, as well as to inventories. The rise in output followed a 4. ...
- HP fourth-quarter revenue drops on weak enterprise demand
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:28:53 -0500 -
By Sarah McBride (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co said its quarterly revenue fell in almost every business segment over the year, highlighting weaknesses ahead of the company's planned 2015 separation of its enterprise services from its traditional computer and printing units. Sales fell 2.5 percent in the fourth quarter to $28.41 billion, from $29.13 billion a year earlier, HP said on Tuesday. Analysts had expected $28.76 billion. Profit declined 2.7 percent to $2.01 billion, or $1.06 cents a share, compared with $1.01 cents a share a year ago, in line with analysts' expectations. ...
- Carl Icahn raises stake in car rental company Hertz
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:46:26 -0500 -
(Reuters) - Activist investor Carl Icahn raised his stake in U.S. car rental company Hertz Global Holdings Inc to 10.77 percent from 8.48 percent. The billionaire was already Hertz's largest shareholder and in the past few months had successfully pushed for management changes and won board seats on the company. Hertz shares rose 1.7 percent to $25.68 in trading after the bell on Tuesday. Hertz has owned up to a string of accounting errors, originating in 2011, that will require it to restate or correct its financial results for the past three years. ...
- U.S. Fed plans enhanced capital standards for GE unit
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:32:15 -0500 -
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Reserve on Tuesday proposed to impose tougher capital standards on General Electric's finance unit, one of a handful of non-bank firms deemed critically important to the health of the financial system.
- Delta's breakaway pilots' union struggles in attempt to replace existing union
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:52:52 -0500 -
By Jeffrey Dastin and Saundra Amrhein (Reuters) - A group of Delta Air Lines pilots seeking to replace the current pilots' union at the U.S. carrier are struggling to win enough support. The Delta Pilots Association (DPA) claims that nearly half of the airline’s 12,000 pilots have at some time in the past four years signed cards backing it to be their union for collective bargaining with management. But under U.S. labor law, many of the cards – a third or more – are invalid because they weren’t signed in the past 12 months, DPA said. ...
- Wal-Mart U.S. chief merchandiser departs just before Black Friday
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:42:35 -0500 -
(Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc said its U.S. chief merchandising officer was leaving the company in a management shuffle just as the crucial holiday shopping season kicks into gear.
- Chesapeake Energy loses in $1.3 billion bond dispute appeal
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:35:39 -0500 -
NEW YORK (Reuters) - A divided federal appeals court said Chesapeake Energy Corp had no right to redeem $1.3 billion of notes early at a favorable price, saying the second-largest U.S. natural gas company waited too long to tell investors of its plans.
- Falcone steps down as CEO from Harbinger
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:20:24 -0500 -
BOSTON (Reuters) - Philip Falcone, once one of the world's most closely watched investors, is stepping down as chairman and chief executive of Harbinger Group Inc. next month to focus on his hedge fund and another publicly traded company.
- Unemployment rates fall in two-thirds of US states
- Fri, 18 May 2012 11:34:11 -0400 - Unemployment rates fell in two-thirds of U.S. states last month, evidence that modest economic growth is boosting hiring in most areas of the country.
- US stocks edge higher in afternoon trading
- Thu, 22 May 2014 15:04:30 -0400 -
Stocks were on track to finish higher Thursday afternoon for the second day in a row as investors drew encouragement from reports on Chinese manufacturing, U.S. home sales and some positive earnings from Best Buy, Dollar Tree and other retailers.
- US stocks edge higher in midday trading
- Thu, 22 May 2014 12:33:25 -0400 -
Major stock indexes shifted higher in midday trading Thursday, getting a lift from an encouraging report on Chinese manufacturing and some positive earnings from Best Buy, Dollar Tree and other retailers. The market also got a boost from data showing modest improvement in sales of previously occupied homes.
- US stocks edge higher in morning trading
- Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:28:55 -0400 -
Major stock indexes moved higher in morning trading Friday, shaking off the prior day's slide over the possible geopolitical fallout from the downing of a passenger jet flying over eastern Ukraine. Investors had their eye on financial results from several big companies, including Google and Honeywell International.
- US stocks are mixed in early trading
- Thu, 30 Oct 2014 09:40:57 -0400 -
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening mixed as investors look over more earnings reports from big companies.
- Apple ad teases gamers, annoys gamers
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:42:25 -0500 -
Apple's latest ad, in which Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon behave as you might expect gamers to, causes online ructions among some gaming devotees.>
- Tomorrow Daily 092: Mistletoe drones, Europa in HD, real-life bacon meme, and more
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:08:47 -0500 -
On today's show, we debate the usefulness of drones inside restaurants (especially drones carrying mistletoe), check out Europa in stunning HD, and watch a beloved bacon internet meme come to life via a laser printer hack.>
- Mark Zuckerberg schedules second Q&A with the public
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:04:53 -0500 -
The Facebook CEO will host another ask-me-anything session with the public, on December 11.>
- 'Did you break this?' Lenovo Yoga ad pranks stunned shoppers
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:03:07 -0500 -
See the look on consumers' faces when a faux Lenovo employee snaps a competing laptop in two right in front of them and then tries to pass off the blame.>
- This peculiar cup could give astronauts the espresso experience in space
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:59:58 -0500 -
A specially designed "space cup" would let astronauts sip their espresso in Zero-G style aboard the ISS.>
- NASA completes first successful in-space 3D-printing project
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:43:59 -0500 -
The 3D printer installed aboard the International Space Station has successfully printed its first object: a part for the printer itself.>
- CEO of Shots "Not Focused on Selling"
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:29:06 -0500 - Regarding Twitter acquisition rumors, Shots CEO John Shahidi tells FOX Business, “we focused on building out the product and not focused on selling it.” The Justin Bieber-backed startup is especially popular with teens.
- HP ends fiscal year with mixed earnings report
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:30:31 -0500 -
But CEO Meg Whitman tells investors the software maker is entering 2015 with the "strongest portfolio" in a decade.>
- Nice 'stache Watson: First look at 'Sherlock' special goes Victorian
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:12:34 -0500 -
Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman don vintage clothes and hairstyles for a sneak peek at the upcoming "Sherlock" special. Will the lads be time-traveling or attending a costume party?>
- US expresses 'concern' over EU proposal to break up Google
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:04:38 -0500 -
The United States Mission to the European Union says antitrust issues should not be "politicized.">
- 4K TV shipments soar to 6.4M in 2014
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:27:22 -0500 -
After several slow quarters, a report from DisplaySearch on global TV shipments suggests consumers may be ready for new TVs.>
- Meaning Is the New Money: Pivoting Towards Your Purpose
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:26:48 -0500 - Meaning is proving to be the new money. Entrepreneurs everywhere, as well as employees, are making changes towards finding greater meaning in their lives, or what has become known as "finding their WHY." No longer satisfied with chasing the next pay rise or climbing the corporate ladder for the sake of it, people and companies are making the...
- The 404 Show 1,586: Giving thanks to tech, Jurassic World, BlackBerry Hail Mary (podcast)
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:08:09 -0500 -
It's our last show before Thanksgiving and the guys are discuss what tech they're thankful for. Plus, we'll try and understand how anyone could have thought making another Jurassic amusement park was a good idea.>
- Samsung Electronics Big Data Solution, No. 1 in Sort Benchmark
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:00:32 -0500 - Summary: • Samsung Electronics' sorting engine, DeepSort, finished No. 1 in this year’s Sort Benchmark competition, often known as the “World Cup” of data sorting. Samsung Electronics Big Data Solution, No. 1 in Sort …
- Conquer Black Friday by shopping online
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:57:37 -0500 -
There's no shame in staying home when online deals are aplenty on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Bridget Carey highlights trends in this year's deals, and how stores are competing with Amazon.>
- Are We Viewing Consumer as Human?
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:57:03 -0500 -
Now here's a novel concept for marketers - let's look at consumers as human beings! Unfortunately, far too many professionals in the field today have forgotten this very basic premise. It has become all about demographics and analytics; the consumer is nothing more than a series of numbers and trends. But these are actual people whose every...
- Excellent iOS apps for Black Friday
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:40:55 -0500 -
The biggest shopping day of the year is gearing up to be a madhouse at the stores, but with the right apps you can map out your shopping strategy and get the best deals before they're gone.>
- Ferguson Housing Hurting, With No Relief In Sight
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:28:16 -0500 - The economic impact of the riots that have swept Ferguson, a St. Louis suburb with a population of about 21,000 people, will likely depress an economy that’s already hurting.
- Four Entrepreneurs Bringing New Hope
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:28:13 -0500 - As businesses and political leaders struggle to fix the global economic machinery, like invisible fairy dust, feminine energies create new approaches. Four social entrepreneurs, Sruthi Narasimha, Shiza Shadid, Janet Salazar and CJ Peak, have a passion to facilitate a vibrant, diverse and harmonious world. These women have an inclusive...
- 10 Important Trends in Startup Internet and Technology Business
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:22:36 -0500 - We are entering an exciting new era for innovation and technology that is full of unmeasurable potential and opportunity. Not only does this apply specifically to the internet, but goes beyond it in many areas of business and technology. For the startup, investment and job markets, it means a climate for fresh new areas. For legacy businesses,...
- H-P Unveils Mixed Fiscal Fourth Quarter
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:52:39 -0500 - Developing: The tech giant reported adjusted fiscal 4Q earnings per share of $1.06, matching views. Revenues, meanwhile, came in at $28.4 billion, missing estimates. Shares dropped 2.21% in extended trade.
- IDC: Tough year for tablets, not as bad as thought for PCs
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:48:30 -0500 -
In 2014, growth in global tablet shipments is taking a steep dive, as consumers upgrade less often than expected. PC shipments, on the other hand, are enjoying a brief easing of their decline.>
- Check out this molten ball of metal levitating in outer space
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:32:20 -0500 -
The ESA has put a levitating furnace on the International Space Station. Getting it to work right required a bit of shaving cream.>
- That's no moon, it's a Death Star Bluetooth speaker
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:22:35 -0500 -
Be part of the Treble Alliance and take control of your music sound system with the iHome Death Star Bluetooth speaker from ThinkGeek.>
- Frog eye salad, Nevada? Map dishes favorite Thanksgiving sides by state
- Tue, 25 Nov 2014 14:59:04 -0500 -
The New York Times and Google team up to display the most commonly googled holiday recipes in every state. What the heck is a pig pickin' cake, North Carolina?>