- Striking teachers reach deal with Los Angeles school district
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:51:00 -0500 - A week-old strike by more than 30,000 Los Angeles teachers that has disrupted classes for nearly half a million students neared an end on Tuesday as the teachers' union and the country's second-largest school district reached a contract deal.
- Johnson & Johnson 2019 revenue forecast misses expectations
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:39:46 -0500 - Johnson & Johnson on Tuesday forecast 2019 sales that fell short of analysts' estimates as the healthcare conglomerate faces increasing competition for some of its older drugs.
- Johnson & Johnson, U.S. states settle hip implant claims for $120 million
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:39:46 -0500 - Johnson & Johnson and its DePuy Orthopaedics unit have agreed to pay $120 million to resolve deceptive marketing claims by several U.S. states over the company's metal-on-metal hip implants.
- Hedge funds push for overhaul at eBay
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:35:11 -0500 - Hedge funds Elliott Management and Starboard Value have taken stakes in eBay Inc and are pushing for changes including the sale of some of the e-commerce company's businesses.
- Trump still plans to deliver Jan. 29 State of the Union address: official
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:30:52 -0500 - U.S. President Donald Trump still plans to deliver his annual State of the Union address from the Capitol later this month as scheduled, a Trump administration official said on Tuesday as the federal government shutdown stretched into its second month.
- Trump transgender troop limits can take effect, top court decides
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:28:39 -0500 - The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday handed President Donald Trump a victory on his policy barring many transgender people from the military, allowing it to go into effect by lifting lower court rulings that had blocked the plan on constitutional grounds.
- 'Roma,' 'The Favourite' dominate history-making Oscar nominations
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:25:47 -0500 - Netflix movie "Roma" and British historical romp "The Favourite" from Fox Searchlight led nominations for the Oscars on Tuesday with 10 nods apiece in a history-making best picture lineup.
- Factbox: Key nominations for the 2019 Academy Awards
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:25:47 -0500 - Nominations for the 2019 Oscars, or Academy Awards, the highest honors in the movie industry, were announced on Tuesday. The awards will be handed out on Feb. 24 at a ceremony in Hollywood.
- Factbox: Oscar nominees react with gratitude, pride and honor
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:25:47 -0500 - Actors, directors and producers were "flabbergasted," "honored" and "over the moon' to be nominated for the Academy Awards, which will be presented on Feb. 24 in Hollywood.
- Cardiff City soccer player Sala missing after plane disappears over English Channel
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:22:44 -0500 - Cardiff City's new soccer star Emiliano Sala was on board a light aircraft that disappeared en route to the Welsh capital for his club debut, France's civil aviation authority said on Tuesday.
- Police to resume search for missing Cardiff footballer's plane on Wednesday
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:21:39 -0500 - Police have suspended the search for a light aircraft carrying Cardiff City's new signing Emiliano Sala after it disappeared over the English Channel en route to the Welsh capital for the soccer player to make his club debut.
- Ex-U.S. marine held in Russia for spying was misled, says lawyer
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:20:46 -0500 - The lawyer for a former U.S. marine accused of spying by Russia said on Tuesday that his client had been misled before his arrest and believed that a thumb drive handed to him in a hotel room had contained holiday snaps rather than secret information.
- Supreme Court lets mystery company file appeal under seal
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:17:28 -0500 - The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday let an unidentified foreign government-owned company appeal under seal a grand jury subpoena possibly related to Special Counsel Robert Mueller's probe into Russia's role in the 2016 election, and the firm said a ruling against it would "wreak havoc" on American foreign policy.
- Wall Street slips on global growth fears, weak corporate forecasts
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:13:38 -0500 - U.S. stocks fell more than 1 percent on Tuesday and were on course to end a four-day rally on fears of slowing global growth after the International Monetary Fund trimmed its outlook and weak forecasts by companies, including Johnson & Johnson.
- South Korea to launch its biggest investigation of sex abuse in sports
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:12:08 -0500 - South Korea will hold its largest ever investigation into sexual abuse in sports, its human rights watchdog said on Tuesday, after an Olympic speed skating star accused her former coach of abuse triggered a wave of similar accounts from athletes.
- Huawei calls for swift end to case of executive arrested in Canada
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:11:33 -0500 - China's Huawei Technologies wants a quick resolution of the case of its former finance chief Meng Wanzhou, who is accused of violating U.S. sanctions on Iran and has been detained in Canada, its chairman said on Tuesday.
- U.S. to pursue extradition of Huawei CFO from Canada
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:10:48 -0500 - The U.S. Justice Department said on Tuesday that it will continue to pursue the extradition of Huawei Technologies chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou who was arrested in Canada in December in connection with a conspiracy to defraud banks.
- 'Black Panther' leads popular films in Oscars best picture pack
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:03:17 -0500 - Marvel Studios film "Black Panther" made Oscars history on Tuesday, landing the first best picture nomination for a superhero movie, as crowd-pleasing blockbusters muscled into a contest recently dominated by art-house fare.
- Opposition leader pushes for parliament vote on new Brexit referendum
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:00:51 -0500 - British opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn moved a step closer to paving the way for another referendum on European Union membership by trying to use parliament to grab control of Brexit from Prime Minister Theresa May.
- EU parliament to start ratifying Brexit deal next week
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:00:51 -0500 - The European Parliament expects to start next week its procedure to endorse the Brexit deal negotiated between the bloc and London, lawmakers said on Tuesday, despite the fact that Britain is still struggling to finalize the divorce agreement.