- Yen spikes to 18-month peak, Amazon softens Apple blow
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 22:22:40 -0400 -
The yen surged to an 18-month peak on Friday as investors wagered the Bank of Japan might be done adding fresh stimulus to the economy, hurting prospects for Japanese exporters with a move that rippled through share markets across the Asian region. Perhaps taking advantage of Japan's absence for a holiday, speculators smashed through the yen's previous top at 107.63 per dollar and drove the currency as far as 107.075. It had been at 111.67 before Thursday's decision by the BoJ not to ease policy further, even though prior media reports had set the market up for more action.
- Amazon profit crushes estimates as cloud-service revenue soars
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:12:07 -0400 -
Amazon.com Inc on Thursday reported profit and revenue that blew past analysts' expectations, sending its shares soaring in after-hours trading and demonstrating the growing market power of its core retail business and new cloud services division. The results draw a sharp contrast to the disappointing fourth quarter Amazon reported in January, which renewed worries among some shareholders about the company's comparatively thin profit margins. Amazon's performance also assuaged concerns about a broader slowdown among tech and internet companies after Apple , Microsoft and Intel all reported disappointing earnings.
- Carl Icahn says he sold entire Apple stake on China woes: CNBC
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:27:07 -0400 -
Billionaire activist investor Carl Icahn said Thursday he had sold his entire stake in Apple Inc , citing the risk of China's influence on the stock. Icahn, in an interview with cable television network CNBC, also said he was "still very cautious" on the U.S. stock market and there would be a "day of reckoning" unless there was some sort of fiscal stimulus. Icahn had been a huge cheerleader of Apple, acquiring a stake in the company almost three years ago, repeatedly calling the investment a "no brainer." In an open letter to Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook in May 2015, Icahn had argued that shares of the iPhone maker were worth $240, about 90 percent more than they had been trading.
- Facebook in class of its own as ad revenue soars
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:12:28 -0400 -
Wow. After underwhelming results from Apple Inc, Google Inc and other big tech names, investors finally found a friend in Facebook Inc after the company shredded Wall Street's forecasts for revenue, profit and user growth. Facebook's shares, which touched a record high of $120.79 on Thursday, closed up 7.2 percent at $116.73, giving a $22 billion boost to the social networking company's market value.
- U.S. economy stalls in first quarter as activity weakens broadly
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:03:18 -0400 -
U.S. economic growth braked sharply in the first quarter to its slowest pace in two years as consumer spending softened and a strong dollar continued to undercut exports, but a pick-up in activity is anticipated given a buoyant labor market.
- Exclusive: CBS weighs share options for post-Redstone era - sources
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:12:56 -0400 -
CBS Corp's executives are talking to investment bankers about how their CEO and executive chairman, Les Moonves, can gain more control over the broadcaster after Sumner Redstone dies, or if he is declared mentally incompetent, said two sources familiar with the situation. The New York-based company met with investment banks in recent months to discuss how it could buy CBS's voting shares from Redstone's National Amusements Inc, and collapse CBS's dual-class share structure, the sources told Reuters. CBS and Viacom Inc both have dual-class share structures with 80 percent of their voting shares owned by National Amusements, a privately-held movie theater company controlled by the 92-year-old Redstone.
- U.S., EU officials say they will not settle for limited trade deal
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 22:04:38 -0400 -
By David Lawder NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. and European Union trade officials said on Thursday they would not settle for a limited trans-Atlantic free trade deal that ignores deep divisions on agricultural products, services, public procurement and dispute resolution. In separate briefings during the latest negotiating round in New York, the U.S. and EU officials said they would push for a comprehensive Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, or T-TIP, before U.S. President Barack Obama leaves office in January. "We are not going to shoot for or accept a 'T-TIP light,' a U.S. Trade Representative official said on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.
- India's Mallya says willing to reach 'reasonable' debt settlement: FT
- Fri, 29 Apr 2016 01:09:42 -0400 -
Mallya, 60, flew first class from Delhi to London on March 2 at a time when the Indian government and mainly state-controlled banks are trying to recover $1.4 billion owed by his collapsed Kingfisher Airlines Ltd . "By taking my passport or arresting me, they are not getting any money," the newspaper quoted him as saying.
- Comcast to buy DreamWorks Animation for $3.8 billion
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:29:30 -0400 -
Comcast Corp, the owner of NBCUniversal, said on Thursday it would buy Hollywood studio DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc for $3.8 billion to boost its family-friendly offerings and help it take on media conglomerate Walt Disney. The acquisition will add major children's franchises to Universal's film library such as "Shrek," "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Kung Fu Panda," which it could tap for its growing theme parks and consumer products businesses. Comcast's Universal Pictures found success with blockbuster family films like "Despicable Me" and "Minions," but this deal will ramp up its portfolio.
- Oil prices dip on looming OPEC production rise
- Fri, 29 Apr 2016 00:17:09 -0400 -
Crude oil prices fell in early trading on Friday as a looming rise in Middle East output may drag on the stronger markets seen in April, although falling U.S. production and a weakening dollar are still offering support. U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were down 18 cents at 45.85 a barrel.
- Argentinean football club to offer dermal implants to its fans
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 21:19:00 -0400 -
- NY Times sends 300,000 Google Cardboard viewers to subscribers
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:20:00 -0400 -
- Twitter co-founder Biz Stone relaunches failed Jelly app
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:19:00 -0400 -
- Uber affirms tipping drivers 'is not expected or required'
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:21:00 -0400 -
- Don't Squelch Sensitive Topics. Instead, Learn to Embrace Them.
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:54:43 -0400 -
Controversial social issues don't stay outside the office door. This year, especially, has been a-boil with such volatile topics as the Presidential election, terrorism, religious beliefs, and LGBT rights. Debates on these issues can't help but seep into the work environment and affect our interchange with colleagues and clients.Companies can't...
- The Wirecutter's best deals: The Pebble Time Round
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:22:00 -0400 -
- Google's OnHub router uses IFTTT to automate your life
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 17:21:00 -0400 -
- Tune up your iOS device with PhoneClean
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:56:00 -0400 -
iMobie's free PhoneClean app can help keep your iOS device running smoothly by deleting old clutter. Learn more about how it works and what it can do.
- Twitter for iPhone is now classified as a news app
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:55:00 -0400 -
- Nurturing B2B Relationships On Social Media
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:41:44 -0400 -
Ted Rubin is an author, social marketing strategist, keynote speaker, and acting CMO of Brand Innovators. He sat down with Oracle Social Cloud's Senior Content Manager Maggie Schneider Huston to discuss how brands can nurture relationships on social media.Maggie Schneider Huston: What's the best way for B2B companies to build relationships on...
- Facebook: 60 percent of government requests come with gag order
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:56:00 -0400 -
- Social VR, space VR, and 360 cameras: SVVR's opening keynote
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:37:00 -0400 -
The day one keynote at the Silicon Valley Virtual Reality conference included camera satellites and VR calls in Slack.
- Google grabs ex-Motorola president to unify its hardware groups
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:35:00 -0400 -
- Made In China: Will GAC Motors Be Able to Infiltrate the American Market?
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:32:28 -0400 -
Chinese auto manufacturer GAC Motors is poised to enter the US market in 2017. With its newest GA8 Sedan the company hopes to achieve what no other Chinese auto maker has: a viable US presence. For decades, the Chinese have wished to become a part of the American auto industry. However, it's not easy. Chinese car companies face many challenges...
- On the Brink of Greatness short: Standup
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:30:00 -0400 -
- Talkshow is a messaging app that wants you to text in public
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:20:00 -0400 -
- When Does it Make Sense to Give Up in Business?
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:12:26 -0400 -
We don't like the thought of giving up, especially as entrepreneurs who are told to stick with it.Sometimes, though, it does make sense to give up. This doesn't mean that you have to give up your dreams of financial independence or ultimately being successful in running your own business. When you give up, it shouldWhen you give up, it should...
- YouTube's first live 360-degree videos were little more than tech demos
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 15:10:00 -0400 -
- Chrome extension blocks out the names of mass shooters
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:50:00 -0400 -
- Top 3 Reasons Why You Need to Use Storytelling in Your Business
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:43:01 -0400 -
Let's face it. Regardless of what industry you are in, without question, there is a substantial amount of competition out there. Not only is there competition, but many of them are targeting your potential customers. So it's probably safe to say that you need a competitive advantage or a tool that can separate you from your competition. No,...
- Google revamps search in its Photos app for Android
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:37:00 -0400 -
- Periscope lets you scribble on your livestreams
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:27:00 -0400 -
- Vudu's latest iPad app finally has picture-in-picture
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 14:04:00 -0400 -
- Enterprises beware: An invisible revolution is coming--and you're not ready
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:44:00 -0400 -
Cloud computing is leading us to an invisible revolution in technology that most enterprises are not prepared for.
- Google Play warns you when apps contain ads
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:43:00 -0400 -
- Google and Fiat Chrysler are reportedly partnering on autonomous cars
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:24:00 -0400 -
- How Instagram became the perfect platform for streetwear resellers
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:00:00 -0400 -
- Curiosity snaps a pic of the most rugged plateau it crossed
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:46:00 -0400 -
- How virtual reality can save humanity
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:24:53 -0400 -
Truc de Ouf's Gentry Lane says society is losing its humanity, but a powerful storytelling tool like VR can help revive it.
- NFL Sunday Ticket streams out-of-market games at no extra cost
- Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:23:00 -0400 -