- Former U.N. chief and Nobel peace laureate Kofi Annan dies aged 80
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 06:47:59 -0400 - Former United Nations Secretary-General and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Kofi Annan has died at the age of 80, his foundation said on Saturday.
- Qatar accuses Saudis of barring haj pilgrims, Riyadh says untrue
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 06:08:20 -0400 - Qatar has accused Saudi Arabia of barring its citizens from this year's haj, something Riyadh denies, saying a diplomatic dispute is not stopping Qataris from making the pilgrimage to Mecca.
- U.S. senators demand answers from Army after Reuters report on lead poisoning
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 04:48:26 -0400 - Four U.S. senators on Friday urged the Army to detail the steps it is taking to safeguard children from lead poisoning, citing a Reuters investigation into hazards on military bases.
- Iran says navy mounts new defense system on warship
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 04:00:17 -0400 - Iran's navy has mounted a locally built advanced defensive weapons system on one of its warships for the first time, the Iranian navy chief was quoted as saying on Saturday, as tensions mount with the U.S. military in the Gulf.
- Former cricketer Imran Khan sworn-in as Pakistan's prime minister
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 03:50:18 -0400 - Former cricket star Imran Khan was sworn in as prime minister of Pakistan on Saturday, taking on the challenge of forming a coalition to govern as a currency crisis looms over the turbulent, nuclear-armed South Asian country.
- Chinese internet stock sell-off may shake faith in FANGs
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 02:59:59 -0400 - A steep downturn in heavyweight Chinese internet stocks and recent weakness in half of the so-called FANG group have some investors worried that a key component of Wall Street's near-decade long rally may be low on fuel.
- Marvel Comics mogul Stan Lee wins renewal of protect order
- Sat, 18 Aug 2018 00:18:26 -0400 - Marvel Comics mogul Stan Lee won renewal of a protective order on Friday against a onetime business manager accused of subjecting the 95-year-old "Spider-Man" co-creator to elder abuse after taking charge of his affairs earlier this year.
- Trump doubles down on security clearances; former officials slam move
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 22:06:36 -0400 - President Donald Trump faced an unprecedented outcry from former intelligence officials on Friday after stripping the security clearance of former CIA Director John Brennan, but Trump defended his move and said he planned another one soon.
- Trump defends ex-aide Manafort as jury ends second day of deliberations
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 21:53:30 -0400 - In a break with convention, President Donald Trump weighed in on a criminal trial as the jury considered a verdict on Friday, calling the tax and bank fraud case against Paul Manafort "very sad" and lauding his former campaign chairman as a "very good person."
- U.S. special counsel recommends six months in prison for Papadopoulos
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 21:31:31 -0400 - Special Counsel Robert Mueller recommended in a court filing on Friday that a judge sentence former Trump campaign aide George Papadopoulos to up to six months in prison for lying to federal agents investigating whether Russia interfered in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
- China complains about Pentagon report, says it is 'pure guesswork'
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 20:34:02 -0400 - China's Defence Ministry has lodged a complaint with the United States about a Pentagon report that said China's military was likely training for strikes against the United States and its allies, saying it was "pure guesswork".
- Exclusive: U.S. government seeks Facebook help to wiretap Messenger - sources
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 19:42:17 -0400 - The U.S. government is trying to force Facebook Inc to break the encryption in its popular Messenger app so law enforcement may listen to a suspect's voice conversations in a criminal probe, three people briefed on the case said, resurrecting the issue of whether companies can be compelled to alter their products to enable surveillance.
- Worst floods in a century kill scores in India's Kerala
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 19:04:04 -0400 - The worst floods in a century in the Indian state of Kerala have killed 164 people and forced more than 200,000 into relief camps, officials said on Friday, with the toll expected to rise as heavy rain pushes water levels higher still.
- U.S. judge approves plan to reunite separated immigrant families
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:26:53 -0400 - A federal judge on Friday approved a plan to reunite hundreds more families who were separated by border officials after they entered the United States from Mexico.
- Exclusive: FBI probing cyber attack on congressional campaign in California - sources
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:21:19 -0400 - The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating a cyber attack on the congressional campaign of a Democratic candidate in California, according to three people close to the campaign.
- Aretha Franklin funeral set for August 31 in Detroit
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:10:19 -0400 - A funeral for the late recording star Aretha Franklin has been scheduled for Aug. 31 in Detroit, following a two-day public viewing of her casket, and her body will be entombed at a family gravesite, relatives announced on Friday through a publicist.
- Walmart asks some beauty suppliers to consider sourcing outside of China
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:06:48 -0400 - Walmart Inc has asked some beauty suppliers to consider sourcing products from outside China, as it looks for ways to mitigate the impact of a new set of tariffs on Chinese products proposed by the Trump administration.
- U.S. raises $300 million from allies for Syria stabilization
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 18:05:31 -0400 - The United States said on Friday it had secured $300 million from coalition partners to help stabilize parts of Syria retaken from Islamic State, after President Donald Trump demanded that allies help carry the costs of the war.
- Chicago teachers pension fund divesting from private prisons
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 17:56:28 -0400 - The Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund's board of trustees voted on Friday to phase out investments in companies that run private prisons or immigrant detention centers, saying the businesses have an outsized negative impact on minorities and the poor.
- Ex-lawyer of pharma executive Shkreli gets 18 months prison for fraud scheme
- Fri, 17 Aug 2018 17:54:59 -0400 - A New York lawyer was sentenced to 18 months prison on Friday for helping Martin Shkreli, currently serving a seven year prison sentence after being convicted of related charges, defraud a drug company that Shkreli had founded.