- Global stocks wilt as Fed shift sparks stampede into bonds
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 06:05:40 -0400 - European shares wilted and there was a stampede into bonds on Thursday, after the U.S. Federal Reserve's abandonment of all plans to raise rates this year left traders wondering what might be lurking in the shadows.
- EU summit readies for Brexit in May - or next week
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 06:02:55 -0400 - EU leaders will tell Theresa May on Thursday she can have two months to organize an orderly Brexit but Britain could face a hugely disruptive ejection from the bloc next Friday if the prime minister fails to win backing from parliament.
- Exclusive: Ethiopian crash captain untrained on 737 MAX simulator
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:56:43 -0400 - The captain of a doomed Ethiopian Airlines flight was unable to practice on a new simulator for the Boeing 737 MAX 8 before he died in a crash with 157 others, a pilot colleague said.
- Aid workers widen search for Mozambique cyclone survivors, death toll mounts
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:48:03 -0400 - Rescue workers extended their search in Mozambique on Thursday for survivors of devastating floods following a powerful cyclone that ripped through southern Africa a week ago, killing hundreds and destroying buildings and farmland.
- Dutch populist wins provincial elections after Utrecht attack
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:28:04 -0400 - An upstart populist party shocked the Dutch political establishment by winning the most votes in provincial elections after a preliminary count in the early hours of Thursday, boosted by a possible terrorist attack this week in the city of Utrecht.
- Britain says EU could hold emergency summit to offer conditional Brexit extension
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:25:08 -0400 - The European Union could next week hold an emergency summit to offer a Brexit extension with potentially onerous conditions such as holding another referendum, British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said on Thursday.
- U.S.-backed fighters say operation at last Islamic State enclave not over
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:01:56 -0400 - U.S.-backed Syrian fighters said they were still searching territory captured from Islamic State at its final enclave in eastern Syria on Thursday and denied a report the jihadists had been finally defeated.
- Hunger stalks Yemen's remote villages after four years of war
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:00:10 -0400 - As Yeman's war grinds into its fifth year with peace efforts stalling, ten-year-old Afaf's father sees little hope he will be able to give his starving daughter the food or healthcare she needs.
- Timeline: Yemen's slide into political crisis and war
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 05:00:10 -0400 - Yemen's warring parties have failed to leave the main port city of Hodeidah three months after agreeing to a breakthrough U.N.-led truce deal as part of efforts to end a four-year-old war that has pushed the country to the brink of famine.
- May has a 'good shot' of getting Brexit deal approved next week, UK junior minister
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 04:57:00 -0400 - Prime Minister Theresa May has a good chance of getting her twice-defeated Brexit deal approved by parliament next week, a junior Brexit minister in her government said on Thursday.
- New Zealand bans military type semi-automatic weapons used in mosque massacre
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 04:56:29 -0400 - New Zealand will ban military-style semi-automatic and assault rifles under tough new gun laws following the killing of 50 people in the country's worst mass shooting, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Thursday.
- Justice Thomas speaks as U.S. top court confronts racial bias in jury selection
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 04:46:20 -0400 - U.S. Supreme Court justices appeared poised to side with a black Mississippi death row inmate put on trial six times for a 1996 quadruple murder who accused a prosecutor of repeatedly blocking black potential jurors, though the court's only black member sounded skeptical.
- U.S. farmers face devastation following Midwest floods
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 04:31:32 -0400 - Midwestern farmers have been gambling they could ride out the U.S.-China trade war by storing their corn and soybeans anywhere they could - in bins, plastic tubes, in barns or even outside.
- Special Report - Shattered sanctuary: In Christchurch, an imam seeks to rebuild
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 04:07:27 -0400 - Ibrahim Abdelhalim was at his mosque last week in the Linwood neighborhood of Christchurch, New Zealand, delivering a prayer as he usually does on Friday afternoons. The 67-year-old grandfather had already spoken about "tasting the sweetness of faith" as a Muslim obedient to God and willing to serve humanity.
- Let the British parliament find a softer Brexit option, lawmaker tells PM May
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 04:01:54 -0400 - The British parliament should be given the opportunity to find an alternative way to leave the European Union and lawmakers would support a Norway-style post-Brexit relationship, Conservative lawmaker Oliver Letwin said on Thursday.
- Shaken by mosque massacre, New Zealand gun owners prepare to hand over banned weapons
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:51:25 -0400 - Mike Salvesen was working on his farm in the foothills of New Zealand's Southern Alps last Friday when his phone began pinging with news of a tragedy unfolding about 110 km (70 miles) away in Christchurch.
- Trump's border wall money may come at expense of schools for military kids
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:43:35 -0400 - The U.S. Department of Defense is proposing to pay for President Donald Trump's much-debated border wall by shifting funds away from projects that include $1.2 billion for schools, childcare centers and other facilities for military children, according to a list it has provided to lawmakers.
- President's re-election pitch resonates in heartland of Ukraine's revolution
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:10:06 -0400 - At a cemetery in western Ukraine, a tall, gray-haired man lights candles and kisses the gravestone of his 35-year-old brother Taras, whose death, he said, changed his mind about who should win this month's presidential election.
- Boeing, FAA face more pressure from U.S. lawmakers over 737 MAX accidents
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 02:17:55 -0400 - Pressure mounted on Boeing Co in Washington as U.S. lawmakers called for executives to testify about two crashed 737 MAX jets, even as the world's biggest planemaker worked to return the grounded fleet to the skies.
- Indonesian investigators to hold news conference on Lion Air crash
- Thu, 21 Mar 2019 02:10:46 -0400 - Indonesian investigators said on Thursday that information from the cockpit voice recorder of a Lion Air jet that crashed in October was leaked to the media and they would hold a news conference at 0830 GMT.