- PM May tries to tweak defeated Brexit plan, refuses to rule out no-deal
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 17:29:54 -0500 - British Prime Minister Theresa May sought to break the parliamentary deadlock over Brexit on Monday by proposing to seek further concessions from the European Union on a plan to prevent customs checks on the Irish border.
- Germany calls on Britain to make proposal to end Brexit deadlock
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 17:29:36 -0500 - Germany continues to advocate an orderly exit of Britain from the European Union and Berlin expects the British government to agree soon on proposals that are backed by a majority of parliament, a German government spokesman said on Monday.
- Los Angeles teachers' strike to continue through Tuesday: union
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 17:27:31 -0500 - Los Angeles teachers will extend their strike to a sixth day on Tuesday even if negotiators reach a deal on Monday, the United Teachers Los Angeles union said on Twitter.A fifth day of contract negotiations took place on Monday in an attempt to end a strike that has disrupted classes for some 500,000 students in the country's second-largest school district.
- Murders in Mexico rise by a third in 2018 to new record
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 17:20:38 -0500 - Murders in Mexico rose by 33 percent in 2018, breaking the record for a second year running, official data showed, underlining the task facing the new president who has pledged to reduce violence in the cartel-ravaged country.
- Israel strikes in Syria in more open assault on Iran
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 16:49:38 -0500 - Israel struck in Syria early on Monday, the latest salvo in its increasingly open assault on Iran's presence there, shaking the night sky over Damascus with an hour of loud explosions in a second consecutive night of military action.
- Democratic Senator Kamala Harris jumps into 2020 White House race
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 16:44:20 -0500 - First-term Democratic Senator Kamala Harris of California, a rising party star and outspoken critic of President Donald Trump's immigration policies, launched her 2020 campaign for the White House on Monday by touting her experience as a prosecutor.
- U.S. air safety agents absences hit record level; shutdown in Day 31
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 16:22:40 -0500 - The U.S. Transportation Security Administration, where employees are going unpaid amid a partial government shutdown, said on Monday that unscheduled absences among U.S. airport security officers rose to a record 10 percent on Sunday as the shutdown reached its 31st day.
- Giuliani backtracks on comments Trump sought Moscow deal throughout 2016
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 16:21:06 -0500 - U.S. President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani backtracked on Monday from earlier comments that Trump pursued a business deal to erect a tower bearing his name in Moscow throughout 2016, saying his statements "were hypothetical and not based on conversations I had with the President."
- Report reveals an undeclared North Korean missile base headquarters
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 15:31:51 -0500 - One of 20 undeclared ballistic missile operating bases in North Korea serves as a missile headquarters, according to a report by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) published on Monday.
- UK's Labour seeks to force May to rule out no-deal Brexit
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 15:03:50 -0500 - Britain's opposition Labour Party is seeking to force Prime Minister Theresa May to rule out leaving the European Union without a deal and to give parliament a vote on the options to break a deadlock over the way forward.
- Venezuela arrests rogue officers after military revolt in Caracas
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:45:28 -0500 - Venezuela's government said on Monday it had suppressed a military revolt after a group of officers stole weapons and kidnapped several officials, as a video posted online showed a sergeant demanding the removal of President Nicolas Maduro.
- Germany bans Iranian airline from its airspace after U.S. pressure
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 14:18:50 -0500 - Germany has revoked the license of an Iranian airline because it has been transporting military equipment and personnel to Syria and other Middle East war zones, the foreign ministry said on Monday, after heavy U.S. pressure on Berlin to act.
- Facebook's WhatsApp limits users to five text forwards to curb rumors
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 13:58:01 -0500 - Facebook Inc's WhatsApp is limiting worldwide the number of times a user can forward a message to five, starting on Monday, as the popular messaging service looks to fight "misinformation and rumors", company executives said on Monday.
- France fines Google $57 million for European privacy rule breach
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 13:31:15 -0500 - France's data protection watchdog fined Alphabet's Google 50 million euros ($57 million) on Monday for breaching European Union online privacy rules, the biggest such penalty levied against a U.S. tech giant.
- UK minister: No link between Northern Ireland bomb and Brexit
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 13:28:51 -0500 - Britain's Northern Ireland minister Karen Bradley said on Monday there was no link between a car bomb and several subsequent security alerts in Northern Ireland and the ongoing Brexit discussions in parliament.
- Count of Paris, pretender to French throne, dies aged 85
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:41:11 -0500 - Henri d'Orleans, Count of Paris and pretender to the defunct French throne, died on Monday - exactly 226 years after his distant cousin Louis XVI was guillotined in Paris.
- UK may face resignations if lawmakers stopped from voting away no-deal: The Times
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:21:07 -0500 - The British government has been warned by a cabinet minister that there could be dozens of resignations next week if Conservative lawmakers are banned from voting for a plan to stop a no-deal Brexit, The Times newspaper reported.
- Trust in Russia's Putin falls to 13-year low: state pollster
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:14:31 -0500 - Public trust in President Vladimir Putin has fallen to its lowest level in 13 years, according to a Russian state pollster, a setback for the Kremlin which works hard to burnish Putin's image as a wise father-of-the-nation-style leader.
- UK PM May says looking forward to exploring Polish proposal for backstop time limit
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:04:47 -0500 - British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Monday she was looking forward to exploring a proposal put forward by Poland's foreign minister for a time limit on the Irish backstop.
- Taliban attack on Afghan security base kills over 100
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 12:03:48 -0500 - A Taliban attack in central Afghanistan on Monday killed scores of security personnel, officials said, with some estimates putting the death toll at more than 100, amid government silence about one of the most deadly insurgent attacks in months.