- Braving dangerous waters, Iranians seek a better life in Britain
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 04:09:49 -0500 - The traffickers told Fardin Gholami that a fishing boat would take him from France to England at midnight, but when he and five other Iranian asylum seekers got to the beach, all they found was an inflatable dinghy with nobody to sail it.
- Plucky Pliskova stuns Serena with epic Australian Open fightback
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 03:47:38 -0500 - Serena Williams squandered four match points and blew a 5-1 lead in the deciding set as seventh seed Karolina Pliskova produced a fightback for the ages to claim a 6-4 4-6 7-5 quarter-final win over the American great at the Australian Open on Wednesday.
- Pliskova wins the 'head' game against Serena to make semis
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 03:47:14 -0500 - Karolina Pliskova said saving four match points against Serena Williams had got into the American's "head" as the Czech completed an epic comeback win to reach her first Australian Open semi-finals on Wednesday.
- Europe's Arianespace takes on SpaceX by cutting Ariane 5 rocket launch price
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 03:41:07 -0500 - Europe's Arianespace is discounting the price of satellite launches with its Ariane 5 rockets as it competes against U.S. rival SpaceX for customers before the release of the cheaper Ariane 6 rocket next year, a senior executive said on Wednesday.
- China's Baidu pledges to improve search service after complaint
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 03:09:04 -0500 - China's top search engine Baidu Inc said on Wednesday it will improve its media aggregating service after a complaint about the quality of the service and its search results went viral on social media, helping send its shares down sharply.
- Search for missing Cardiff City's Sala resumes in English Channel
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 03:06:25 -0500 - The search for Cardiff City's new soccer star, Emiliano Sala, resumed on Wednesday 36 hours after the light aircraft he was flying on disappeared in the English Channel.
- At Alibaba's futuristic hotel, robots deliver towels and mix cocktails
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 02:49:18 -0500 - Gliding silently through Alibaba Group Holding Ltd's futuristic "FlyZoo" hotel, black disc-shaped robots about a meter in height deliver food and drop off fresh towels.
- Indonesia backtracks on unconditional release of cleric linked to Bali bombing
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 02:21:13 -0500 - Indonesia's president said on Tuesday a radical Muslim cleric linked to the 2002 Bali bombings would only be released from jail if he pledged loyalty to the state and its ideology, after news he would be freed unconditionally sparked criticism.
- Beaten Williams denies 'choking' after shock exit
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 02:13:50 -0500 - A disappointed Serena Williams denied "choking" in her stunning quarter-final loss to Karolina Pliskova at the Australian Open on Wednesday after failing to convert four match points and surrendering a 5-1 lead in the deciding third set.
- Oil edges up on hopes Chinese fiscal stimulus will stem economic slowdown
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:36:46 -0500 - Oil prices inched up on Wednesday after China said it would raise spending to stem an economic slowdown that has been weighing on financial markets.
- Asian shares pause amid concerns over growth and trade
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:33:11 -0500 - Asian stocks trod water on Wednesday as concerns over the outlook for global economic growth and the ongoing Sino-U.S. trade war kept investors away from riskier assets.
- South Korea 'selective' in implementing sanctions on North: group
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:31:04 -0500 - South Korea failed to notify a U.N. sanctions committee when it sent about 300 tonnes of petroleum products to North Korea in 2018, the website NK News reported on Wednesday, suggesting South Korea was slipping on sanctions.
- BOJ cuts inflation view, keeps stimulus as risks to economy heighten
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:28:10 -0500 - The Bank of Japan cut its inflation forecasts on Wednesday and warned of rising risks to the economy from faltering global demand, further pushing back policymakers' years-long efforts to foster durable growth.
- Hong Kong moves to make disrespecting Chinese national anthem a crime
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:20:32 -0500 - Hong Kong on Wednesday presented a controversial bill to lawmakers that prescribes jail terms of up to three years for disrespecting the Chinese national anthem, a move critics say raises fresh fears over freedom of expression in the city.
- U.S. airlines tap army helicopter pilots to ease shortage
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:12:09 -0500 - U.S. Army pilot Shaun Perez spent ten hours flying an Apache helicopter over Afghanistan, providing gun cover for Special Forces soldiers on the ground as they hunted for high-value targets, guns and weapons.
- Los Angeles teachers to resume classes Wednesday after vote on contract deal
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 00:59:42 -0500 - The union for more than 30,000 striking Los Angeles teachers clinched a tentative contract deal with the second-largest U.S. school district on Tuesday, paving the way for classes to resume for nearly half a million students after a weeklong walkout.
- Iowa's 'fetal heartbeat' abortion ban ruled unconstitutional
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 00:39:03 -0500 - Iowa's "fetal heartbeat" law, the most restrictive abortion ban in the United States, was declared unconstitutional Tuesday, as it violates the Iowa state constitution, a state judge ruled.
- Cardiff City's Sala missing after plane disappears over English Channel
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 22:36:27 -0500 - Cardiff City's new soccer star, Emiliano Sala, was on board a light aircraft that disappeared en route to the Welsh capital for his club debut, France's civil aviation authority said on Tuesday.
- Soccer: Ranieri devastated by Sala's disappearance
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 22:35:40 -0500 - Fulham boss Claudio Ranieri described Cardiff City forward Emiliano Sala as a "fighter" and said he was "devastated" to hear that he was on board a flight that disappeared over the English Channel on Monday.
- Senate to vote on ending government shutdown, Trump wall impasse
- Tue, 22 Jan 2019 22:33:09 -0500 - The U.S. Senate shifted slightly closer on Tuesday to resolving a month-long partial government shutdown, but there was no sign of relief anytime soon for 800,000 federal workers who are furloughed or working without pay.