- Scientists seek new ways to combat Florida's growing 'red tide'
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:24:39 -0400 - Scientists in Florida are on the cusp of developing promising methods to control toxic algae blooms like the "red tide" that has been killing marine life along a 150-mile (240-km) stretch of the Gulf Coast, the head of a leading marine lab said on Wednesday.
- Trump says his steel tariffs will save the U.S. industry: WSJ
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:23:22 -0400 - President Donald Trump said on Wednesday his tariffs on foreign steel are saving the U.S. industry and he predicted that in the future American steelmakers will mostly face domestic competition, the Wall Street Journal reported.
- New Mexico compound member in U.S. illegally over 20 years: government
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:20:04 -0400 - A Haitian woman who was charged with child abuse at a New Mexico compound has been taken into custody by immigration authorities after living in the United States illegally for over 20 years, federal officials said on Wednesday.
- Colorado baker in case of Supreme Court sues state over 'persecution'
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:10:59 -0400 - A Colorado baker who won a narrow Supreme Court victory over his refusal to make a wedding cake for a gay couple is suing the state after it launched another case against him for declining to create a cake for a transgender woman.
- Malaysian court to rule on women accused of killing brother of North Korean leader
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:41:04 -0400 - A Malaysian court will decide on Thursday whether to continue hearing a case against two women charged with the murder of the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, or acquit them.
- U.S. and Mexico to set up joint team to fight drug cartels
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:38:50 -0400 - U.S. and Mexican law enforcement authorities will set up a joint team based in Chicago targeting the leaders and finances of drug cartels that ship opioids into the United States, aiming to stanch a spike in overdose deaths, officials said on Wednesday.
- SEC scrutiny of Tesla grows as Goldman hints at adviser role
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:25:01 -0400 - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has sent subpoenas to Tesla Inc regarding Chief Executive Elon Musk's plan to take the company private and his statement that funding was "secured," Fox Business Network reported on Wednesday, citing sources.
- Lula registers for Brazil race from jail as thousands rally
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:23:44 -0400 - Brazil's Workers Party registered jailed former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Wednesday as its presidential candidate while he sat in prison serving a 12-year graft sentence expected to block his candidacy.
- Exclusive: In Chinese port city, Japan's Toyota lays foundation to ramp up sales
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:14:10 -0400 - Toyota Motor Corp is likely to make 120,000 more cars a year in the Chinese port city of Tianjin as part of a medium-term strategy that's gathering pace as China-Japan ties improve, said four company insiders with knowledge of the matter.
- Senate to consider massive spending bill, faces Trump objections
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 19:41:25 -0400 - U.S. senators agreed on Wednesday to debate and vote in the next few days on more than $850 billion in spending on defense, labor and healthcare programs, as the Trump administration announced its objections to some parts of the bill.
- Cambodia's ruling party won all seats in July vote: election commission
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 19:16:49 -0400 - Cambodia's ruling Cambodian People's Party (CPP) won all 125 parliamentary seats in a national election in July, electoral authorities said on Wednesday as the opposition called the result illegitimate.
- Ex-Trump aide Manafort had 'huge dumpster of hidden money,' jury told
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 19:00:59 -0400 - Paul Manafort had "a huge dumpster of hidden money" abroad, a prosecutor said on Wednesday, urging a jury to convict U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chief on financial fraud charges based more on a paper trail of evidence than on the testimony of a former protege.
- Trump revokes ex-CIA chief's security clearance, slamming critic
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 18:50:19 -0400 - U.S. President Donald Trump moved to penalize a sharp critic on Wednesday, revoking the security clearance of Obama-era CIA Director John Brennan for making what he called "a series of unfounded and outrageous allegations" about his administration.
- U.S. clergy sex abuse revelation fuels push to reform assault laws
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:51:28 -0400 - The latest revelation of widespread child sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergy has given impetus to efforts by legislators, including a Pennsylvania lawmaker who has said he was raped by a priest as a child, to make it easier to prosecute such cases.
- Pennsylvania report details decades of sexual abuse by priests
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:38:53 -0400 - Roman Catholic priests in Pennsylvania sexually abused thousands of children over a 70-year period and silenced victims through "the weaponization of faith" and a systematic cover-up campaign by their bishops, the state attorney general said on Tuesday.
- Payment seen unlikely on $1.1 billion in maturing Venezuela bonds
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:35:13 -0400 - Venezuela faces payments of $1.1 billion in interest and principal on two bonds maturing on Wednesday, but investors expect the cash-strapped nation to continue its pattern of no payments.
- Qatar to aid Turkey, currency rallies but U.S. says tariffs to stay
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:31:05 -0400 - The United States on Wednesday ruled out removing steel tariffs that have contributed to a currency crisis in Turkey even if Ankara frees a U.S. pastor, as Qatar pledged $15 billion in investment to Turkey, supporting a rise in the Turkish lira.
- Emerging markets lead global stocks lower, commodities sink
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:12:03 -0400 - Equities around the world took a dive led by emerging market stocks on Wednesday and commodities tumbled as investors looked for safety due to worries about China and Turkey.
- Italy bridge collapse: The financial facts behind the fury
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:10:31 -0400 - Italy's anti-establishment government, outraged at the deadly collapse of a 50-year-old bridge, has presented the disaster as a warning to Brussels to give it more leeway to upgrade the country's aging infrastructure.
- Uber narrows loss but is a long way from finding profit
- Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:00:33 -0400 - Uber Technologies Inc said on Wednesday it narrowed its quarterly losses from a year earlier, although the ride-hailing company is still a long way from proving it can be profitable as it gears up to go public in 2019.