- 3 Personal Finance Tips for Small-Business Owners
- Thu, 29 Sep 2016 10:37:51 -0400 - As entrepreneurs, many small-business owners are comfortable taking
- 6 Crucial Money Tips for Young Entrepreneurs
- Wed, 28 Sep 2016 08:25:16 -0400 - By Dmitriy Fomichenko Learn more about Dmitriy on NerdWallet’s Ask An Advisor Entrepreneurs have to wear many hats. One of their key responsibilities is to understand and properly manage their business’s finances. But they must also be careful with how they handle their own money. Here are smart financial
- Four IP questions to tell if you get it
- Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:28:48 -0400 - One of the most interesting aspects of the marketplace is the evolution of how businesses leverage assets. For most of history, business leverage came from these three categories in this order: 1. Muscle power (human or animal); 2. Tangible stuff (raw material, inventory, tools, etc.); 3. Information (intellectual
- Your Small Business Should Have Its Own Credit Score
- Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:01:04 -0400 - By Heather Castle , CFP Learn more about Heather on NerdWallet’s Ask an Advisor Many people understand the importance of their personal credit score. Most lenders use them to determine who will receive financing opportunities — such as auto loans, mortgages and lines of credit — and on what terms. Your score
- 5 Low-Cost Business Ideas for Teens
- Thu, 08 Sep 2016 10:53:15 -0400 - Zandra Cunningham loves lip balm — so much that she used to ask her dad to buy her a new tube every day. Exasperated, he joked that she should make her own. So she did. She was 9. Six years later, her Buffalo, New York-based business, Zandra, sells 37 natural, homemade skin products in stores in six states and
- An official day for small business owners
- Mon, 05 Sep 2016 17:53:44 -0400 - Labor Day began as an idea in the mind of a 19th century labor leader — some say Matthew Maguire, others say Peter McGuire — who cared greatly for a very important segment of the marketplace, its workers. Regardless of paternity, such a day was first celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City,
- When Should You Use an Online Lender for Your Small Business?
- Mon, 05 Sep 2016 09:56:00 -0400 - If you’re looking for funding for your small business, it can be overwhelming given the number of options available. On the one hand, banks usually offer the best annual percentage rates (APRs), the largest loan amounts and the longest terms, but their loans are difficult to qualify for and can take a long time to
- Small business lessons from big business mistakes
- Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:18:11 -0400 - Here is a true story from which several business lessons can be learned. A while back, I needed to reach a friend who worked in the local office of a national company. Searching online, and yes, even the phone book, I found only a toll-free number that connected to an answering system for the entire company.
- Should Your Small Business Accept Credit Card Payments?
- Sat, 13 Aug 2016 16:35:24 -0400 - Credit card payments in the United States are on the raise. More and more consumers are signing up for the little pieces of plastic and using them as their main method of payment. This is in part due to banks making rewards better and better for cardholders. If you’re planning to open up a small business, it’s
- 3 Early Signs Your Business Is Going To Fail
- Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:20:06 -0400 - My friend, entrepreneur Marc Kramer, has started about 20 businesses. Some have succeeded, others have not. Among his start-ups, I asked him if he got signals early on that he had a clunker on his hands, and if so, what the signs were. Generally, he said, he knew within about 120 days whether or not the concept is
- How Your Hobbies Can Make You Money in Retirement
- Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:29:31 -0400 - If you’re looking to generate extra income during retirement , you might want to explore ways to make your hobby into a more profitable venture. After all, hobbies are the things you choose to do — activities that, in most cases, you’d happily do for free. And pursuing a hobby-related business can make for a
- How to Hire for Your Small Business
- Tue, 09 Aug 2016 16:01:54 -0400 - You should be asking yourself a few questions before you begin the hiring process for your small business. Why have you decided to hire someone? Does this reason highlight a fundamental problem within your business? Will hiring someone help you with your long-term goals? Can you afford to hire anyone right now? If
- Three new reasons to expand your market horizons
- Mon, 08 Aug 2016 13:32:02 -0400 - More than ever, 21st century small businesses have reasons and resources to expand opportunities beyond local markets, including international trade, and specifically exporting. Yet even though 97% of all U.S. exporters are small companies, only a fraction of that sector are exporters. But there’s good news that
- Which Type of Online Lending Fits Your Small Business Needs?
- Tue, 09 Aug 2016 12:57:46 -0400 - When small businesses can’t get the funds they need from traditional lenders, they often turn to online lenders to find funding solutions . Online lenders have more lenient eligibility requirements, which makes it easier and more convenient to get financing. They also offer a variety of products, which gives your
- The Biggest Differences Between Traditional Lenders and Online Lenders
- Fri, 05 Aug 2016 08:10:13 -0400 - Small businesses have historically struggled to qualify for loans from banks due to their more stringent requirements. As a result, online lenders have become popular alternatives to help fill this funding gap. Though traditional lenders and online lenders offer similar products, their application and funding