|RTT Top News
Global financial news, market analysis, economics and forex news
- Asian Stocks Rise After China Rate Cut
- Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:31:59 GMT - Asian stocks rose broadly on Monday as investors shrugged off soft U.S. data and instead focused on the weekend interest rate cut in China to stimulate the world's second-largest economy. However, the rate cut had only a limited impact on investor sentiment as the move was largely priced in.
- China Likely To Focus On Reforms As Growth Moderates
- Mon, 02 Mar 2015 07:53:14 GMT - Chinese policymakers are likely to show willingness to further boost economic growth, after recent economic indicators signaled moderation in activity, at the annual legislative session starting this week. The People's Bank of China reduced its benchmark rate by a quarter point in a surprise move on Saturday.
- European Stocks Seen Subdued
- Mon, 02 Mar 2015 07:13:15 GMT - The European markets are set to open slightly lower on Monday following big gains in February that lifted Europe's main markets to record high closing levels last week. The euro hovers near a five-week low against the dollar as investors await further details on the ECB's 1 trillion euro ($1.1 trillion) QE program, which starts this month.
- AMGN's Kyprolis Better Than Rival, KOOL Put On Notice, XON Inks Fruity Deal
- Mon, 02 Mar 2015 06:42:01 GMT - Amgen's Kyprolis has demonstrated superiority over Takeda's Velcade in patients with relapsed multiple myeloma in a head-to-head clinical trial.
- Asian Markets Mostly Higher On China Rate Cut
- Mon, 02 Mar 2015 03:13:59 GMT - Asian stock markets are mostly higher on Monday as sentiment was boosted by news that China's central bank decided on Saturday to lower key interest rates by 25 basis points. The move is expected to simulate the world's second-largest economy amid concerns of slowing economic growth.
- Beware Of These Weight Loss Supplements And Sexual Enhancers
- Mon, 02 Mar 2015 02:33:25 GMT - The FDA is warning consumers not to purchase or use the following weight loss supplements and sexual enhancement products as they have been found to contain hidden drug and chemical ingredients that can have serious side-effects.
- New Drug Approvals - The Month That Was
- Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:20:44 GMT - Another month has come to a close, and here we bring you a list of new drugs that passed muster with the FDA in February.
- Congress Passes One-Week Extension Of DHS Funding As Clock Ticks Down
- Sat, 28 Feb 2015 10:59:13 GMT - With little time to spare, the House voted late Friday to approve a one-week extension of funding for the Department of Homeland Security. The House voted 357 to 60 in favor of the bill, which passed just two hours before the DHS was due to run out of funding at midnight.
- House Fails To Pass Short-Term Extension Of Homeland Security Funding
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 22:29:08 GMT - While the Senate managed to pass a bill providing funding for the Department of Homeland Security for the next eight months, the House failed to approve even a modest short-term extension.
- Stocks Close Mostly Lower Following Slew Of Economic Data - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 21:24:40 GMT - After ending the previous session mixed, stocks moved mostly lower over the course of the trading day on Friday. Selling pressure was relatively subdued, however, limiting the downside for the markets.
- Crude Oil Ends Higher On Weak Dollar; Sheds 1.1% For Week
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 20:09:53 GMT - U.S. crude oil surged to end higher on Friday, after the dollar weakened against a basket of some major currencies on some mixed economic data with the final U.S. GDP report coming in better than expected.
- Hyperloop Test Track Being Built
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:18:17 GMT - Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, a start-up that has adopted Elon Musk's ambitious project of high-speed transportation system, plans to build a Hyperloop test track in California and completed as early as 2016.
- Gold Ends Higher As Dollar Weakens; Sheds 5% For Week
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:11:36 GMT - Gold futures ended higher for a third straight session on Friday, after the dollar trended lower against some major currencies and on some mixed economic data from the U.S., notwithstanding a better-than-expected U.S. GDP report fueling speculation of an interest rate hike from the Federal Reserve mid-year.
- World Divided Over Color Of This Dress
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:55:00 GMT - Colors have set the social media afire after an otherwise innocuous photo of a bodycon dress kept users guessing as to what hues permeate it.
Opinions are divided, with some seeing the dress as white and gold, and others as blue and black. The photo was posted on Tumblr by a user called Swiked.
- Senate Passes Homeland Security Funding Bill Without Immigration Language
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:44:44 GMT - Just hours before a midnight deadline, the Senate voted Friday to approve legislation providing funding for the Department of Homeland Security. The Senate voted 68 to 31 in favor of the bill, which funds the DHS through the end of the current fiscal year on September 30th.
- GameStop Wins 163 Radioshack Leases
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:40:15 GMT - Spring Mobile, a unit of video game retailer GameStop Corp. (GME), on Wednesday won an auction for the right to take 163 leases over from bankrupt electronics retailer RadioShack Corp.
- Poll: U.S. Fear Of China Fading
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:31:01 GMT - Fear of China seems to be fading among Americans, as they no longer consider China as their greatest enemy, according to a new poll.
- Poll: Most Americans Not Ready For Financial Trouble
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:27:46 GMT - If we thought that Americans' financial situation has strongly rebounded after the Great Recession, a Pew survey shows that may not be the case.
- Google Flights Search Tool Launched
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:17:02 GMT - Internet giant Google Inc. (GOOGL, GOOG) has launched a new online flight search tool that makes it easy to find out the best flight deal.
- Stocks Nearly Flat Amid Another Choppy Trading Day - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:02:39 GMT - After ending the previous session mixed, stocks are turning in another lackluster performance during trading on Friday. The major averages have shown only modest moves on the day, lingering near the unchanged line.
- Twitter To Track Worst Trolls
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:26:47 GMT - Trolling celebrities on Twitter has been a favorite pastime for many. But now, Twitter has announced new updates to deal with such trolls, just weeks after CEO Dick Costolo admitted that the micro-blogging site "sucks" when it comes to dealing with trolls.
- Stocks Move Slightly Lower Following Slew Of Economic Data - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:50:11 GMT - Stocks have moved modestly lower in early trading on Friday, although selling pressure has remained relatively subdued. The major averages have all dipped into negative territory after ending the previous session mixed.
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Drops Less Than Initially Estimated In February
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:28:37 GMT - Consumer sentiment in the U.S. deteriorated by less than previously estimated in the month of February, the University of Michigan revealed in a report on Friday. The report said the final reading on the consumer sentiment index for February came in at 95.4 compared to the preliminary reading of 93.6.
- U.S. Pending Home Sales Climb To Highest Level In 18 Months In January
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:17:10 GMT - Pending home sales in the U.S. rebounded in the month of January, according to a report released by the National Association of Realtors on Friday, with the increase reflecting improved buyer demand. NAR said its pending home sales index climbed 1.7 percent in January.
- Chicago Business Barometer Unexpectedly Indicates Contraction In February
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:07:12 GMT - Business activity in the Chicago area unexpectedly contracted in the month of February, according to a report released by MNI Indicators on Friday. MNI Indicators said its Chicago business barometer tumbled to 45.8 in February from 59.4 in January, with a reading below 50 indicating a contraction in regional business activity.
- U.S. Economy Grows By Downwardly Revised 2.2% In Q4
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:12:38 GMT - Economic growth slowed by even more than previously estimated in the final three months of 2014, according to a revised report released by the Commerce Department on Friday. The report said U.S. gross domestic product increased by a downwardly revised 2.2 percent in the fourth quarter.
- Google Reverses Ban On Blogger Porn
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:07:07 GMT - Search giant Google, Inc. has reversed its decision to ban sexually explicit adult content on its blog-publishing service Blogger. A post by the Blogger team said, "So rather than implement this change, we've decided to step up enforcement around our existing policy prohibiting commercial porn."
- Stocks May Turn In Another Lackluster Performance - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 13:51:57 GMT - Stocks may continue to experience choppy trading on Friday, as traders seem reluctant to make any significant moves. The major index futures are currently pointing to a modestly lower open for the markets, with the Dow futures down by just 9 points.
- China Bans Ivory Carvings Import For One Year
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:49:07 GMT - China, the largest importer of elephant tusks, banned ivory carvings imports for one year. However, it has not banned the trade or possession of ivory.
There has been a huge appetite in China for ivory carvings, as a status defining luxury, and the country has been blamed for indirectly stimulating poaching of elephants in Africa.
- Economic Survey Sees Scope For 'Big Bang' Reforms; Growth To Exceed 8%
- Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:39:30 GMT - India's government sees room for big bang reforms and robust economic growth in the fiscal year ending March 2016, the Economic Survey 2014-15, released the Finance Ministry, said on Friday. Economic growth is expected to exceed 8 percent in fiscal 2015-16 and, at market prices, the new estimate implies growth of 8.1-8.5 percent in 2015-16, the survey said.