|RTT Top News
Global financial news, market analysis, economics and forex news
- Stocks May Move To The Downside Amid Interest Rate Worries - U.S. Commentary
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:58:55 GMT - Following the lackluster performance seen during the previous session, stocks may move to the downside in early trading on Tuesday. The major index futures are currently pointing to a moderately lower open for the markets, with the Dow futures down by 33 points.
- German Investor Confidence Weakest Since 2012
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:09:13 GMT - Germany's investor confidence weakened to a level last seen in late 2012 amid concerns that the rising geopolitical tensions are hurting the European economy, data from the Centre for European Economic Research/ZEW showed Tuesday. The ZEW economic sentiment index fell to 6.9 in September from 8.6 in August. The index has been falling since last January and matched the score seen in December 2012.
- U.K. Inflation Lowest Since 2009
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:40:55 GMT - U.K. inflation slowed marginally as expected in August on falls in prices of motor fuels and food, data from the Office for National Statistics revealed Tuesday. Factory-gate prices declined for the second straight month indicating benign inflationary pressures in the pipeline. Consumer prices rose 1.5 percent year-on-year in August, slower than the 1.6 percent rise in July.
- Wall Street On Track For Negative Start Amid Monetary Policy Fears
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:36:27 GMT - Early indications suggest that Wall Street stocks may open lower on Tuesday as traders nervously await the FOMC decision due on Wednesday. The central bank's monetary policy committee meets later in the day for a 2-day meeting amid signals of strengthening economic recovery. Meanwhile, global cues are negative, with Asian stocks closing lower, while the European markets are also seeing weakness.
- Record Number Of Women Ambassadors At UN Security Council
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:24:43 GMT - The United Nations Security Council has long been a bastion for men selected to represent their countries on what is considered to be the Organization's most powerful body. But now, women ambassadors are occupying more than one third of the Council's 15 seats, making history with record representation of the gender. "It's a little strange that it's taken us this long," according to Ambassador Syl
- Asian Markets End Lower Ahead Of Fed Meeting
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:57:53 GMT - The Asian markets retreated, unimpressed by the lackluster lead from Wall Street overnight. Additionally, fears concerning monetary policy normalization in the U.S. ahead of Wednesday's rate decision weighed down in the minds of traders.
- Airbus Defence And Space To Sell Non-core Businesses
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:08:19 GMT - French aerospace giant Airbus Group Tuesday announced portfolio optimization in its Defence and Space unit, under which certain businesses in non-core segments will be divested as they do not fit its strategic goals. Airbus has identified activities in Space, such as Launchers and satellites, Military Aircraft, Missiles and related Systems and Services as its future core businesses.
- Thomas Cook Sees Material Improvement In FY14 Results; Stock Down
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:00:15 GMT - Tour operator Thomas Cook Group Plc Tuesday said it expects operational performance in fiscal 2014 to show a material improvement over last year, despite recent downturn in consumer confidence in Germany. The shares fell more than 6 percent in the morning trade in London.
- AVNR Excites Investors, MRK To File Odanacatib NDA In 2015, Watch Out For ZSPH
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 04:37:42 GMT - ZS Pharma Inc.'s (ZSPH) two week, pivotal phase III trial of its investigational treatment for hyperkalemia, ZS-9, has demonstrated that once-daily dosing of the compound prevented the recurrence of hyperkalemia in patients with heart failure taking a stable dose of renin angiotensin aldosterone system (RAAS) inhibitor therapy.
- Asian Markets Trade Weak
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:46:11 GMT - Asian stock markets are trading lower on Tuesday, with investors treading cautiously ahead of the U.S. Federal Reserve's monetary policy statement due on Wednesday. The overnight lackluster session on Wall Street and lingering geopolitical worries also appear to be prompting investors to mostly stay on the sidelines.
- Orange To Launch Offer To Buy Spain's Jazztel For About 3.4 Bln Euros In Cash
- Tue, 16 Sep 2014 03:11:29 GMT - French telecom major Orange SA, previously known as France Telecom,ÿsaid Monday it will launch a friendly voluntary tender offer to acquire Spanish broadband provider Jazztel Plc for 13 euros per share or about 3.4 billion euros or $4.3 billion in cash.The proposed deal will create the second largest fixed-line broadband operator and one of the major players in the mobile segment in Spain.
- Stocks Close Mixed As Tech Weakness Weighs On Nasdaq - U.S. Commentary
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 20:25:18 GMT - Stocks largely turned in a lackluster performance during trading on Monday, as traders looked ahead to the Federal Reserve's monetary policy announcement later this week. Technology stocks saw significant weakness, however, resulting in a sharp drop by the tech-heavy Nasdaq.
- Most Americans Lack Confidence In Obama's Plan To Destroy ISIS
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:30:30 GMT - While most Americans support President Barack Obama's decision to take action against the terrorist group ISIS, the results of a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Annenberg poll found that the vast majority lack confidence that the U.S. will achieve its goals.
- Poll Shows Shaheen, Brown Tied In N.H. Senate Race
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:04:18 GMT - In a race that could potentially play a big role in determining which party controls the Senate, the results of a CNN/ORC International poll showed incumbent New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., running neck-and-neck with Republican challenger Scott Brown.
- Stocks Turning In Lackluster Performance As Fed Decision Looms - U.S. Commentary
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:14:24 GMT - With traders looking ahead to the Federal Reserve's monetary policy announcement later this week, stocks are largely showing a lack of direction during trading on Monday. Technology stocks are seeing significant weakness, however, resulting in a sharp drop by the tech-heavy Nasdaq.
- TRW Automotive To Be Acquired By ZF Friedrichshafen In $13.5 Bln Deal
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:22:23 GMT - Auto parts supplier TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. agreed Monday to be acquired by Germany's ZF Friedrichshafen AG for $105.60 per share in an all-cash deal valued at about $13.5 billion, including debt. The deal has the unanimously approval of TRW's Board of Directors and ZF's Supervisory Board and Management Board.
- Microsoft To Buy Minecraft Maker Mojang For $2.5 Bln
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:41:42 GMT - Software giant Microsoft Corp. said Monday that it has agreed to acquire Swedish videogame maker Mojang AB for $2.5 billion. The acquisition of Mojang, maker of the popular 'Minecraft' videogame, is the first multi-billion dollar acquisition by Microsoft after new CEO Satya Nadella took charge in February 2014.
- Stocks Move To The Downside, Tech-Heavy Nasdaq Underperforms - U.S. Commentary
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:11:12 GMT - Stocks have moved to the downside in early trading on Monday, adding to the losses posted last week. The major averages have all slid into negative territory, although the tech-heavy Nasdaq is underperforming its counterparts.
- Apple Claims 4 Mln IPhone 6, IPhone 6 Plus Pre-orders In First 24 Hrs
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:58:49 GMT - Technology giant Apple, Inc. announced Monday that pre-orders for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus breached the four million mark in the first 24 hours. The bulk of the deliveries will begin on Friday and will be made throughout September, but record demand for the new devices will push some deliveries into October.
- U.S. Industrial Production Unexpectedly Edges Down 0.1% In August
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:48:52 GMT - With manufacturing output falling for the first time since January, the Federal Reserve released a report on Monday showing that U.S. industrial production unexpectedly decreased in the month of August. The report said industrial production edged down by 0.1 percent in August.
- New York Manufacturing Index Jumps To Nearly Five-Year High In September
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:27:38 GMT - Business activity in the New York manufacturing sector has expanded at a robust pace in the month of September, according to a report released by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York on Monday, with the index of activity in the sector jumping to its highest level in almost five years.
- Stocks May Move Modestly Lower In Early Trading - U.S. Commentary
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:54:08 GMT - While trading activity may be somewhat subdued, stocks are likely to move to the downside at the start of trading on Monday. The major index futures are currently pointing to a slightly lower open for the markets, with the Dow futures down by 8 points.
- OECD Cuts Outlook For Major Developed Nations
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:24:00 GMT - The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development on Monday downgraded its growth outlook for major developed nations and urged the European Central Bank to take further steps to boost demand as slow growth in the euro area was the most worrying feature of the projections.
- RBI's Rajan: Economic Recovery Uneven, Need Investment Growth
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:02:10 GMT - While a stable government helps India to stand out among its emerging market peers, the economic recovery remains uneven amid weak industrial production and easing inflation, Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan said Monday. Speaking at a banking conference in Mumbai, Rajan said, "Recovery is still uneven."
- RBI's Rajan: India Economic Recovery Uneven, Need Investment Growth
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:59:02 GMT - While a stable government helps India to stand out among its emerging market peers, the economic recovery remains uneven amid weak industrial production and easing inflation, Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan said Monday. Speaking at a banking conference in Mumbai, Rajan said, "Recovery is still uneven."
- Cognizant To Buy Privately Held Healthcare Firm TriZetto For $2.7 Bln Cash
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:36:33 GMT - Cognizant Technology Solutions Corp., a provider of IT, consulting, and BPO services, announced Monday that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held TriZetto Corp. for $2.7 billion in cash. TriZetto, a provider of healthcare information technology and service solutions, is currently owned by Funds advised by Apax Partners.
- Wall Street On Course For Lower Open Ahead Of Manufacturing Data
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:38:58 GMT - The sentiment on Wall Street is weak on Monday despite the lackluster performance for much of last week. Economic fears may return in full force in the wake of weak retail sales and industrial production data released by China and fears concerning monetary policy normalization by the Federal Reserve.
- Goldman Sachs' Fund, Quadrangle To Sell Norway's Get In NOK13.8 Bln Deal
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:34:55 GMT - Financial services firm Goldman Sachs & Co. Monday announced that Goldman Sachs Capital Partners or GSCP and private investment firm Quadrangle Capital Partners II have signed a definitive agreement to sell Norway-based Get A/S to TDC A/S for an enterprise value of 13.8 billion Norwegian kroner or about $2.16 billion.
- Asian Markets Weaken Amid China Growth Worries
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:18:04 GMT - The major Asian markets retreated, with the exception of the Chinese market, as weak data released by China triggered growth concerns and the negative performance by Wall Street stocks engendered risk aversion. The Japanese market was closed for a public holiday.
- TUI Travel Agrees On Terms Of EUR 6.5 Bln All-stock Merger With TUI AG
- Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:57:44 GMT - British travel and tourism firm TUI Travel Plc Monday announced that it has reached agreement on the terms of a recommended all-share nil-premium merger of TUI Travel and its parent TUI AG, which will create a firm with combined equity value of approximately 6.5 billion euros or 5.2 billion pounds. The merger is expected to add to earnings for both sets of shareholders from the first full year.