|RTT Top News
Global financial news, market analysis, economics and forex news
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Pull Back To Six-Month Low In November
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:46:35 GMT - After reporting U.S. existing home sales at their highest level in a year in the previous month, the National Association of Realtors released a report on Monday showing that existing home sales pulled back by much more than expected in the month of November.
- Stocks Move Modestly Higher, Extending Upward Trend - U.S. Commentary
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:33:00 GMT - Stocks have moved modestly higher in early trading on Monday, extending the upward move seen over the three previous sessions. The major averages have all moved to the upside, although buying interest has remained somewhat subdued.
- Stocks May Show A Lack Of Direction In Early Trading - U.S. Commentary
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:58:44 GMT - Following the strong performance seen last week, stocks may show a lack of direction in early trading on Monday. The major index futures are currently pointing to a mixed open for the markets.
- Fox News Goes Dark As Dish Network Risks Antagonizing Conservatives
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:43:34 GMT - Dish Network is no longer carrying Fox News in yet another dispute for the television provider.
- Arms Trade Treaty Marks Historic Breakthrough For Human Rights
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 10:39:42 GMT - The global Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) will enter into force on Wednesday, marking a breakthrough for human rights after more than two decades of campaigning by human rights organizations and NGOs around the world. As the first-ever legally binding treaty of its kind, it will block the flow of arms to governments that would use them to commit atrocities, and could save the lives of millions. The A
- Asian Stocks Rise On Wall Street Cues
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:13:44 GMT - Asian stocks rose on Monday, led by gains in commodity-related stocks as crude prices rebounded and the Russian ruble steadied against the U.S. dollar. Trading activity, however, remained relatively thin due to the upcoming Christmas and New Year holidays.
- European Stocks Seen Rising As Crude Extends Gains
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 07:01:28 GMT - European stocks are likely to open higher on Monday, with a rebound in oil prices and gains on Wall Street Friday seen supporting sentiment. That said, trading activity is likely to be thin due to the upcoming Christmas and New Year holidays.
- Radius Health Is Very Much Active...
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 06:42:09 GMT - Radius Health Inc.'s (RDUS) phase III trial of its product candidate Abaloparatide-SC has demonstrated success in reducing fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. We alerted our premium subscribers to RDUS on October 20, 2014 when it was trading around $18. Did you buy this stock?
- JAZZ Hits Right Note, ENTA's Purse Set To Fatten, AEZS Put On Notice
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 04:36:49 GMT - Orexigen Therapeutics Inc.'s (OREX) Mysimba has received positive opinion from European Medicines Agency's Committee for Medicinal Products For Human Use, recommending approval of the drug in the European Union as an adjunct to a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for weight management in adults.
- Asian Markets Advance On Wall Street Cues, Firmer Commodities
- Mon, 22 Dec 2014 03:47:44 GMT - Asian stock markets are trading higher on Monday, with most of them rising sharply on firmer commodity prices. A positive lead from Wall Street where stocks extended their gains on Friday thanks to optimism about the U.S. economy and easing concerns about interest rates is also contributing to the fairly upbeat mood in the region.
- Stocks Close Mostly Higher, Extending Fed-Inspired Rally - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:20:17 GMT - After moving sharply higher over the course of the two previous sessions, stocks saw some further upside during trading on Friday. With the gains on the day, the major averages further offset the sell-off that was seen earlier this month.
- Obama: Sony Made A Mistake By Canceling Release Of 'The Interview'
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:18:56 GMT - President Barack Obama said Friday he believes Sony Pictures Entertainment "made a mistake" with its decision to scrap the release of "The Interview" amid threats from hackers. Obama expressed sympathy for Sony but warned that the move sets a dangerous precedent.
- Crude Oil Ends Sharply Higher, But Concerns Remain
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:09:20 GMT - U.S. crude oil rebounded to end sharply higher on Friday, after having plunged over 4 percent on Thursday, although concerns over demand growth and oversupply continue to plague market sentiments.
- FBI Officially Accuses North Korea Of Hacking Sony Pictures
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:17:18 GMT - Confirming widespread speculation, the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Friday formally accused North Korea of the recent cyber-attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment. The FBI said it began an investigation shortly after attack and has concluded that the North Korean government is responsible.
- Gold Ends Slightly Higher, But Still Below $1,200
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:05:35 GMT - Gold futures ended slightly higher on Friday, with gains capped at the dollar continued to strengthen against a select band of currencies. With most global equity markets on the up, demand for the safe haven metal remained tepid.
- Roche Halts Alzheimer's Drug Study On Stagnant Safety Profile
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:59:14 GMT - Roche said it was halting a late-stage trial of its investigational drug gantenerumab to treat patients with early Alzheimer's disease as its overall safety profile was similar to that of a Phase 1 study.
- Stocks Continue To See Modest Strength In Mid-Day Trading - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:59:59 GMT - While buying interest has remained relatively subdued, stocks are seeing modest strength in mid-day trading on Friday. The gains on the day are extending the strong upward move that was seen over the course of the two previous sessions.
- Cadillac CT6 To Feature Video-Streaming Rear View Mirror
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:49:44 GMT - General Motors Co.'s (GM) Cadillac plans to introduce a rear-view mirror that can stream high-resolution video in order to help the driver get a better rearward view without the obstruction of passengers and headrests.
- Roche's Breast Cancer Drug Trial Fails
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:38:26 GMT - Swiss drug maker Roche Holding said a late-stage trial of its breast cancer drug Kadcyla did not provide superior results compared with an existing therapy.
- Samsung Galaxy S6 To Sport Aluminium Body, Curved Edge Display: Reports
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 16:21:51 GMT - The upcoming Samsung Galaxy S6 will likely feature an all-new aluminum body design and have a curved edge display screen on both sides, according to Italian tech blog Samsung HD Blog.
- Poll Shows Sharp Jump In Concerns About Race Relations
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:58:56 GMT - On the heels of national protests over the police-involved deaths of two black men, the results of a new Gallup poll showed a sharp jump in the percentage of Americans naming "race relations" or "racism" as the most important problem in the U.S.
- Stocks Move Modestly Higher, Adding To Recent Gains - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:30:23 GMT - After initially showing a lack of direction, stocks have moved mostly higher in early trading on Friday. The major averages have all climbed into positive territory, adding to the substantial gains posted in the two previous sessions.
- Carnival Q4 Adj. Profit Tops View, But Revenues Miss
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:30:05 GMT - Cruise operator Carnival Corp. & plc reported Friday a net loss for the fourth quarter compared to a profit last year, reflecting lower operating costs and revenue growth. Adjusted earnings per share topped analysts' expectation, while quarterly revenues missed their estimates.The company also provided earnings guidance for the first quarter and full-year 2015.
- Chrysler Recalls 257,000 Dodge Ram Pickups
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:43:17 GMT - FCA US, until recently known as Chrysler, said Friday it is recalling 257,000 Dodge Ram pickups.
- Stocks May Extend Rally In Early Trading - U.S. Commentary
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 14:00:03 GMT - After moving sharply higher over the course of the two previous sessions, stocks appear poised to extend the rally in early trading on Friday. The major index futures are currently pointing to a modestly higher open for the markets, with the Dow futures up by 25 points.
- BlackBerry Posts Sharply Narrower Q3 Loss, Closes Secusmart Acquisition
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:29:29 GMT - Canadian smart phone maker BlackBerry Ltd. reported Friday a loss for the third quarter that sharply narrowed from last year, which was weighed down by an hefty inventory write-down and charges. Adjusted earnings per share also topped analysts' expectations, while quarterly revenues missed their estimates. The company also targets sustainable profitability on an adjusted basis in fiscal 2016.
- PETX Has Its Day...
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:28:49 GMT - Shares of pet therapeutics company Aratana Therapeutics Inc. (PETX) are up more than 39 percent in pre-market trading Friday as investors greet with enthusiasm the positive trial results of the company's innovative drug for treating pain in dogs with osteoarthritis.
- An Eye On Cooper...
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:15:16 GMT - This medical device company has a very impressive track record of growing business over the past decade. increasing sales from $490.2 million in 2004 to $1.72 billion this year. The Silicone Hydrogel daily disposable lens portfolio constitutes a major avenue for growth.
- Scientists Find Evidence Of Mars Water Reservoir
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:14:17 GMT - NASA says an international team of planetary scientists found evidence in meteorites on Earth that indicates Mars has a distinct and global reservoir of water or ice near its surface. Though controversy still surrounds the origin, abundance and history of water on Mars, this discovery helps resolve the question of where the "missing Martian water" may have gone. Scientists continue to study the
- U.K. November Budget Gap Narrows
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:03:46 GMT - The U.K. budget deficit narrowed in November, yet a considerable improvement is required to meet the government's fiscal target for 2014/15. Public sector net borrowing excluding interventions declined by GBP 1.6 billion from last year to GBP 14.1 billion in November, the Office for National Statistics reported Friday. Economists had forecast the shortfall to total GBP 15.1 billion.