|WSJ Live News
- Staples in $6.9 Billion Deal With Sycamore
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 21:39:35 EDT - Private-equity firm Sycamore Partners agreed to buy Staples Inc. for about $6.9 billion, a bold bet on a company whose sales have been shrinking in recent years.
- Is Food Giant Nestlé Turning Away From Food?
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 21:45:48 EDT - Nestlé, the world’s biggest packaged-food company, may be cutting back on packaged food.
- Companies Try to Contain Fallout From Global Cyberattack
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:27:11 EDT - Global firms scrambled to cope with fallout from a cyberattack that disrupted computers across Europe and the U.S. A.P. Moeller-Maersk A/S, the world’s biggest container-ship operator, closed many of its ports.
- Nike Thought It Didn't Need Amazon---Then the Ground Shifted
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 23:01:42 EDT - Big brands want control of their image and marketing, which is hard to do through the giant online retailer. But the power of Amazon’s reach, and the travails of traditional retailers, forced the sneaker company to shift course.
- The 10th Anniversary iPhone: Is Apple Trying to Do Too Much?
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 21:41:56 EDT - Apple is pulling out all the stops for its next iPhone, readying multiple models and testing higher prices.
- Health Bill Draws Fiscal Fault Line Between Old and Poor---and the Poor Are Losing
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:01:33 EDT - The Senate’s health plan doesn’t just roll back an entitlement Republicans have long loathed. By singling out Medicaid, it is a watershed moment in the deeper struggle over a safety net that pits the elderly against the poor, Greg Ip writes.
- Trump to Nominate Attorney William Emanuel to Labor Board
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:28:24 EDT - President Donald Trump selected a second Republican, labor-law attorney William Emanuel, to fill a vacant seat on the National Labor Relations Board.
- Bank of Canada's Poloz Signals July Rate Rise in Play
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 12:49:30 EDT - Bank of Canada Gov. Stephen Poloz reignited expectations for a rate increase next month by saying excess slack in the Canadian economy is now being absorbed “steadily” at the current pace of growth.
- Yellen: Globalization, Technological Change Have Been Harmful to Many
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 10:35:40 EDT - The offshoring of jobs associated with globalization combined with technological change have been devastating for many American communities, while designing programs to help has proved difficult, Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen said in London.
- Pound Surges as BOE's Carney Hints at Rate Rise
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:49:54 EDT - The pound jumped after Bank of England Gov. Mark Carney said interest rates in the U.K. may need to rise if the economy keeps motoring despite weak consumer spending.
- Why Your Local CVS Is Hiding the Candy and Tanning Oil
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 19:10:23 EDT - After it stopped selling cigarettes three years ago, drugstore chain CVS is making another push toward healthier offerings, cutting back on candy, trans-fats and low-SPF sunscreens in its stores.
- Google Rivals Cheer EU Antitrust Ruling---But Will It Help?
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 22:07:38 EDT - Google’s smaller rivals see a lifeline in the EU’s decision to fine the search giant €2.4 billion and order it to remake its shopping service.
- U.S. Sets New Air Security Measures in Place of Broad Laptop Ban
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:19:50 EDT - The Department of Homeland Security mandated new security measures for airlines flying to the U.S., stepping back from a broader ban on traveling with laptops.
- Home-Price Growth Slows in April
- Tue, 27 Jun 2017 10:20:30 EDT - Home-price growth slowed in April for the first time in months, a trend that, if it continues, may signal the market is starting to cool as buyers weary of rapid price gains.
- House Republicans Push Back Budget's Release Until After Recess
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:58:49 EDT - Republican lawmakers have delayed the rollout of their budget for the 2018 fiscal year until after members return from a July 4 recess amid continuing negotiations over proposed mandatory spending cuts.
- Labor Shortage Squeezes Real-Estate Developers
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:43:12 EDT - About two-thirds of the contractors who are struggling with the labor shortages gripping the construction industry say it has become a challenge to finish jobs on time, according to a new survey.
- Blue Apron IPO Tied Up by Big Tech
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 21:53:40 EDT - Blue Apron Holdings is the latest startup to have a tech giant suck the air out of its public market debut. It certainly isn’t the first and likely won’t be the last.
- Toshiba Sues Western Digital in Bid to Keep Sale of Chip Unit Alive
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 22:10:23 EDT - Toshiba is racing to bring in $20 billion from the sale of its stake in Toshiba Memory.
- Which Airlines Pad Their Schedules the Most?
- Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:07:19 EDT - U.S. carriers have added more cushion to schedules to account for weather delays, air-traffic mix-ups—and to climb DOT rankings for on-time arrivals.