|WSJ Live News
What's News US
- Big Banks Brace for Penalties in Probes
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:30:45 EDT - Big banks in the U.S. and Europe are stockpiling billions to pay for a potential trans-Atlantic settlement of allegations that they manipulated foreign-exchange rates.
- U.S. Extends Solid Growth, Sidestepping Global Tumult
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 05:04:14 EDT - The U.S. economy expanded at a healthy 3.5% annual pace during the third quarter, a sign of sustained growth fueled by government spending and a narrower trade deficit despite mounting concerns about the health of overseas economies.
- Russia Raises Interest Rates
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:14:50 EDT - The Bank of Russia raised interest rates by 1.5 percentage points, the largest rise since March, highlighting the deepening economic cost of sanctions and falling oil prices.
- Sony Posts Hefty Loss
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 03:40:41 EDT - Sony reports a $1.2 billion loss for the quarter after writing down the book value of its struggling smartphone business.
- Altice About to Make Firm Offer for PT Portugal
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:40:33 EDT - Telecom company Altice SA is set to make a firm offer to buy PT Portugal from its Brazilian owner, as competition heats up for the Portuguese unit valued at over €6 billion.
- Fed's Williams Sees Less Room To Ease In Downturns
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 03:00:05 EDT - San Francisco Fed President John Williams said central banks’ largely successful pursuit of low inflation may mean they more often run into periods where monetary policy hits levels of interest rates that can’t be cut further
- Wal-Mart Weighs Matching Web Prices
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:28:19 EDT - Wal-Mart is testing a program to match online prices from rivals like Amazon this holiday season, a move that could make the discounter more competitive but cut into profits.
- Strong Dollar Adds to Oil's Woes
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:03:17 EDT - Crude-oil prices were lower as a rising dollar put pressure on the market.
- Intesa Rules Out Monte dei Paschi Rescue
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:30:18 EDT - Intesa Sanpaolo CEO Carlo Messina has ruled out Intesa rescuing crippled lender Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena, which has to come up with a plan to plug a $2.65 billion capital shortfall.
- Pressure Builds on Air Bag Maker
- Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:01:31 EDT - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ordered air bag maker Takata to disclose emails and other information on what it knows about millions of defective air bag systems in older vehicles on the road.
- BofA Chided for Combining Top Jobs
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:05:10 EDT - Three of the largest pension systems in the U.S. are pushing back on Bank of America’s move to name CEO Brian Moynihan as chairman.
- Eurozone Inflation Picks Up in October
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:08:27 EDT - The annual rate of inflation in the eurozone picked up slightly in October, but marked its 13th straight month at less than half the rate targeted by the European Central Bank.
- BNP Paribas Lifts Profit
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 03:38:06 EDT - French bank BNP Paribas reported an 11% jump in third-quarter net profit, buoyed by its investment-banking business.
- Hilton Worldwide: Profit Falls, Outlook Rises
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:39:16 EDT - Hilton Worldwide said its third-quarter profit edged down on higher expenses, but the hotel operator raised its outlook for the year on strong revenue and occupancy rates.
- AB InBev Sales Fall
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 05:21:04 EDT - Anheuser-Busch InBev reported that weakness in the U.S., Russia and Ukraine weighed on sales volumes in the third quarter, even as cost cuts and strong sales elsewhere boosted profit.
- Santander Boosts Brazil Unit Stake
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 05:37:38 EDT - Banco Santander said it increased ownership in its Brazil subsidiary after some investors accepted the bank’s offer to buy out minority shareholders.
- British Airways' Parent Lifts Guidance
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:00:50 EDT - British Airways parent, International Consolidated Airlines Group, raised its full-year earnings guidance as a turnaround at its Spanish unit Iberia spurred a 30% rise in operating profit in the third quarter.
- Tencent, IBM Team Up on Services for Businesses
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 03:03:05 EDT - Internet giant Tencent Holdings is getting help from International Business Machines to attract business customers, as the Chinese company diversifies its offerings beyond games and online communication.
- Credit-Card Companies Ride Wave of Electronic Payments
- Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:36:41 EDT - MasterCard and Visa reported strong growth as more consumers ditch cash.
- WPP Sales Lifted by Media Buying
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:00:56 EDT - WPP stuck to its full-year sales and profit margin goal even as the advertising giant warned that companies remain cautious with their advertising spending amid concerns over heightened geopolitical tensions.
- HTC Sees Brighter Fourth Quarter
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:46:46 EDT - HTC said it expects sales to at least stay flat in the fourth quarter after three years of decline, and predicted an increase in handset shipments as well as continued profitability.
- Banco Popular Profit Surges
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:09:29 EDT - Banco Popular Español said third-quarter net profit rose 80% from a year earlier, even as the bank more than doubled the amount of funds it set aside to cover bad loans.
- Swiss Central Bank Swings to Profit
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 04:18:18 EDT - Switzerland’s central bank swung to a profit in the first nine months of the year as foreign currency and gold prices boosted its performance.
- Myanmar Conglomerate Wins Control Over Brewery
- Fri, 31 Oct 2014 05:11:10 EDT - Myanma Economic Holdings, a conglomerate controlled by Myanmar’s military, said it has won a legal fight to wrest full control over a brewery from its Singaporean partner, Fraser & Neave Ltd.