|WSJ Live News
- Why Cash Returning From Overseas Isn't Likely to Create Jobs---and Might Even Reduce Them
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:08:46 EST - Republican lawmakers say their tax overhaul would spur companies to hire more employees and build factories in the U.S. Yet one key provision, which will free up hundreds of billions of dollars for companies to spend, will probably benefit shareholders, analysts say.
- P&G Concedes Proxy Fight, Adds Nelson Peltz to Its Board
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 08:40:00 EST - Procter & Gamble said it would add activist investor Nelson Peltz to its board, ending weeks of intrigue after the biggest and most expensive proxy battle ever fought essentially finished with a tie.
- Uber Hacked and Surveilled Rivals, Alleges Ex-Manager in Letter
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:32:52 EST - A 37-page letter sent to Uber’s management in May that painted it as a paranoid firm with a sophisticated intelligence apparatus designed to gain an edge on rivals and trick regulators has been made public.
- To Recruit, Manufacturers Go to Parents' Nights
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 08:35:59 EST - To attract America’s youth onto the factory floor, manufacturers have tried many tactics from hosting high school tours to providing apprentice programs. Their latest strategy is targeting parents.
- Billionaire and Wife Found Dead in Toronto Home
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 08:39:01 EST - Apotex founder and Chairman Barry Sherman and his wife, Honey, were found dead in their Toronto home on Friday, the maker of generic drugs said. Police said they were treating the incident as “suspicious.”
- GOP Is Poised to Pass Sweeping Tax Overhaul
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:54:18 EST - Republicans stood on the verge of delivering the most significant changes to the U.S. tax code in more than three decades, after a series of last-minute deals appeared to clear the last big obstacles to passage next week.
- U.S. Industrial Production Rose 0.2% in November
- Fri, 15 Dec 2017 14:45:55 EST - U.S. industrial production rose slowly in November, with the increase entirely due to a post-hurricane recovery in oil and gas extraction.
- NLRB Overturns Obama-Era Ruling on Jointly Employed Workers
- Fri, 15 Dec 2017 09:05:23 EST - The National Labor Relations Board overturned an Obama-era ruling that potentially made it easier for contractors and workers at franchised businesses to form unions and collectively bargain with big corporations
- Fed's Quarles to Recuse Himself From Matters Involving Wells Fargo
- Fri, 15 Dec 2017 15:45:34 EST - Randal Quarles, the Federal Reserve’s point man on financial regulation, said he would recuse himself from participating in matters related specifically to Wells Fargo, “to avoid even the potential appearance of a conflict of interest.”
- GM Faces $1 Billion Reckoning in Disputed Ignition-Switch Settlement
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 10:27:16 EST - General Motors faces a potential payout of $1 billion in stock to address claims related to its ignition-switch crisis, depending on the outcome of a looming trial.
- Corporate Accountants Can Cancel Christmas
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 09:21:17 EST - If the Republican proposal passes and is signed into law in December, finance teams will be scrambling to calculate its effect on their balance sheets and income statements in time for their next earnings reports.
- Mining World's Ultimate Deal-Maker Struggles in Frugal Era
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:58:09 EST - Most big mining companies are wary of doing deals, focusing instead on raising cash, shedding debt and delivering meaty dividends to investors. That’s not an ideal environment for a deal-maker like Mick Davis.
- A Christmastime Tax Cut for Some, a Lump of Coal for Others
- Thu, 14 Dec 2017 15:33:27 EST - Republicans plan to turn their tax overhaul into law next week, giving many businesses a cut while removing some benefits for others and adding to the nation’s budget deficit.
- As Fed Tightens, Europe Hangs Loose
- Fri, 15 Dec 2017 04:01:55 EST - Central banks in Europe showed continued caution about the region’s economic recovery, signaling that they are in no rush to follow the Federal Reserve in steadily raising interest rates.
- U.S. Insurers Win 'Bermuda Loophole' Fight
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 13:42:07 EST - Big U.S. property-casualty insurers succeeded in closing what they say is a loophole permitting rivals to rack up profits and move jobs to Bermuda and other low-tax locales, according to lobbyists for both sides.
- To Break Into the Grammys, Netflix Went Old-School Vinyl
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 07:00:11 EST - Netflix released vinyl records of its streaming comedy specials to garner its first-ever Grammy nominations.
- HBO's 'Agnelli' Highlights Fiat Chairman's Appetite for Women and Danger
- Sat, 16 Dec 2017 09:30:48 EST - A new documentary on Gianni Agnelli follows the colorful exploits of the charismatic Fiat scion. It arrives in very different era from the Italian industrialist’s heyday, one in which public figures face more intense scrutiny.