|WSJ Live News
- GM, Ford Flourish Out of the Limelight
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:49:21 EDT - A sharp earnings acceleration by the top U.S. auto makers through June is overshadowing Volkswagen’s sweet success in finally capturing the global sales crown from Toyota.
- Microsoft Hopes Sneak Peeks Will Pay Off
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 23:10:30 EDT - For Windows 10, Microsoft went all-out to turn around perceptions among corporate customers. For the better part of a year, it distributed in-progress versions to companies and gathered their feedback.
- Total Shrugs Off Weaker Oil Prices
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 04:00:58 EDT - French oil major Total said aggressive cost-cutting and an increase in oil output helped offset the fallout from the collapse in the price of oil on its bottom line.
- The Newest Job in Sports: Videogame Coach
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:44:59 EDT - The growing money and fame in videogame tournaments over the past several years has hatched a field of coaches and other professionals who want in.
- Rising Rents Outpace Wages in Wide Swaths of U.S.
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:46:11 EDT - The cost of renting a home is rising faster than wages across wide swaths of the country, a problem that has become especially acute in the past year, putting a big squeeze on many household budgets.
- U.S. Pending Home Sales Slip in June
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:25:39 EDT - A forward-looking indicator of home sales slipped in June, but remained well above year-ago levels, a sign the housing market is stabilizing.
- U.S. Health-Spending Growth Jumped to 5.5% in 2014
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:31:30 EDT - Growth in national health spending, which had dropped to historic lows in recent years, has snapped back and is set to continue at a faster pace over the next decade, federal actuaries said.
- Home-Price Growth Remained Solid in May
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:00:00 EDT - Home prices made solid gains in May, according to a report released Tuesday, as the housing market increasingly appears to be regaining strength after a long, uneven recovery.
- U.S. Consumer Confidence Falls
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:33:05 EDT - Consumers unexpectedly took a dimmer view of the U.S. economy this month. The Conference Board research group said its index of consumer confidence fell to 90.9 in July from a revised 99.8 in June.
- GSK Boosted by New Vaccines
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:58:13 EDT - GlaxoSmithKline reported a 6% rise in second-quarter revenue to $9.19 billion, boosted by new vaccines and consumer health-care products from its $20 billion asset swap with Novartis.
- VW Profit Falls on China Weakness
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:30:35 EDT - Volkswagen, the world’s largest car maker by sales, said net profit fell 16% in the second quarter because of weakness in China and restructuring charges in its trucks business.
- Shares of Japan Parts Makers Slip in Smartphone Slowdown
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:18:44 EDT - Share prices of Japanese electronics-parts and machinery suppliers plunged on concerns over a slump in demand from mobile-phone makers and China’s economic slowdown.
- Proof of a 'Gig Economy' Revolution Hard to Find
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 04:15:50 EDT - Politicians and Silicon Valley prospectuses are all atwitter over the perils and promise of the next big thing, the gig economy. But the numbers don’t bear that out: Americans are becoming slightly less likely to be self-employed, and less prone to hold multiple jobs.
- Brazil Struggles With Inflation, and Expectations
- Tue, 28 Jul 2015 22:23:53 EDT - Brazil’s central bank will almost certainly raise its benchmark interest rate for the 16th time in just over two years in a bid to fight escalating inflation, but prices aren’t cooperating.
- Solvay to Buy Cytec Industries for $5.5 Billion
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:11:36 EDT - Belgium-based chemicals company Solvay said it is buying U.S. counterpart Cytec Industries for $5.5 billion in a bid to become a major player in the production of light-weight materials for airplanes and high-end cars.
- Bayer Profit Rises on Healthy Currency Effects
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:18:45 EDT - German pharmaceutical group Bayer reported a 21% rise in net profit for the second quarter of 2015, boosted by favorable currency effects and earnings growth in all three business areas.
- Nintendo Scores Profit; No Word on Successor to Iwata
- Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:17:04 EDT - Nintendo swung to a first-quarter profit but didn’t provide an update on who will succeed Satoru Iwata, who died of cancer earlier this month, as president.