|WSJ Live News
What's News US
- Justices Wrestle With Aereo TV Suit
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 00:36:09 EDT - Supreme Court justices expressed unease with online-video startup Aereo, but they also voiced concerns about the consequences of ruling for the broadcasters that are challenging the legality of the service.
- Record Junk-Bond Sale Readied
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:53:56 EDT - A French cable operator is preparing what could be the largest junk-bond sale in history—a sign of investors' ravenous appetite for risk.
- JetBlue Pilots Vote to Unionize
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:35:06 EDT - The pilots at JetBlue Airways voted to unionize, ending the carrier's status as one of the last nonunion airlines in the U.S.
- Wall Street Leads Asia Higher
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:54:54 EDT - Asian stocks mostly rose Wednesday, bolstered by a rally on Wall Street, but Hong Kong and Shanghai lost ground following some disappointing corporate earnings.
- China Factory Activity Still Weak
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:36:55 EDT - A still-weak but relatively stable outlook for factory activity in China could ease pressure on Beijing to step up targeted stimulus measures.
- Judges Consider What Defines Insider Trading
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:31:42 EDT - A panel of federal appeals-court judges signaled that prosecutors may have taken too broad a view of insider trading, saying there needs to be more a "bright line" about what constitutes a crime.
- Fed Looks Likely to Stick to Path
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:37:33 EDT - Fed officials are on track to reduce their monthly bond buying to $45 billion at their policy meeting next week and stick with a communications approach that leaves investors with a little uncertainty about when it will start raising interest rates.
- Australia to Buy 58 F-35 Jet Fighters
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:14:53 EDT - Australia said it would buy 58 Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighters in a deal worth about US$12 billion.
- ARM Posts Higher Profit
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:04:27 EDT - Computer chip designer ARM Holdings reported a rise in first-quarter profit boosted by demand for its technology for a growing range of products including so-called supercomputers and sensors.
- Ericsson's Revenue Falls Sharply
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:36:49 EDT - Sweden's Ericsson reported an unexpectedly sharp decline in revenue for the first quarter, blaming lower revenue in North America and Japan which was only partly offset by growth in China, the Middle East and Latin America.
- GM Engineering Chief to Depart
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:12:58 EDT - GM's global vehicle engineering chief, John Calabrese, is leaving and his duties are being split in new fallout from the auto maker's ignition-switch recall and internal probe.
- Pure Storage Poised to Boost Lofty Valuation
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 01:57:33 EDT - Pure Storage, which is trying to remake corporate-data storage with technology that originated in smartphones, is poised to join the world's most richly valued startups.
- China Trust-Sector Growth Slows
- Wed, 23 Apr 2014 02:27:44 EDT - The growth of assets managed by China's trust companies moderated as the economy lost momentum and regulators stepped up supervision over the rapidly expanding "shadow-banking" sector.
- Comcast, Charter Close to Subscriber Deal
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:29:59 EDT - Charter could acquire nearly four million extra subscribers in a two-stage deal under discussion with Comcast, in what would represent a consolation prize for Charter's nearly yearlong pursuit of Time Warner Cable.
- Tax Issues Snag Omnicom-Publicis Deal
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:44:11 EDT - Omnicom CEO John Wren said it is uncertain when the global advertising giant's proposed $35 billion merger with Publicis will be completed, citing unexpected tax issues that could potentially derail the deal.
- Newmont, Barrick Still in Contact After Aborted Merger Talks
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 23:27:49 EDT - Newmont Mining and Barrick Gold have had continuing contact since the two miners last week broke off talks to create a global mining giant, according to people familiar with the situation.
- AT&T Revenue Rises, Profit Slips
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:48:24 EDT - AT&T's sales rose to start the year, as the carrier added more subscribers and increasingly sold mobile devices like the iPhone at full price.
- Citi Holders Approve Leaders' Pay
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:42:14 EDT - Citigroup shareholders approved pay packages for the bank's top executives, giving management a vote of confidence in a difficult period.
- McDonald's Plans Marketing Push as Profit Slides
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:02:29 EDT - McDonald's plans a marketing push to emphasize its fresh-cooked breakfasts as it battles growing competition for the morning meal. The fast-food chain said its profit for the first three months of the year dropped 5.2% as it worked to revive its U.S. sales growth.
- Duke Estimates Coal-Ash Cleanup Cost
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:39:04 EDT - A Duke Energy executive told a North Carolina environmental commission that plans outlined by the utility to address coal-ash in the state are estimated to cost about $2 billion to $2.5 billion.
- Starboard Secures Votes to Force Darden Holder Meeting
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:59:25 EDT - Starboard has secured consents from more than half of Darden shareholders to force a meeting at which shareholders would vote on a planned spinoff of Red Lobster.
- U.S. Existing-Home Sales Slip
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:10 EDT - Sales of previously owned homes fell slightly in March, a sign the shaky U.S. housing market has continued to struggle into the spring but may be stabilizing.
- Harley-Davidson Reports Higher Sales
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:15:46 EDT - Strong international sales of Harley-Davidson motorcycles made up for a weaker showing in the U.S. in the first quarter.
- Lockheed Raises Profit Guidance
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:27:35 EDT - Lockheed Martin raised its 2014 earnings guidance and continued its funneling of cash to shareholders as buybacks soared to $1.1 billion during the first quarter.
- Travelers Profit Tops Estimates
- Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:13:33 EDT - Travelers said it posted a record first-quarter profit, and the property-casualty insurer also boosted its dividend 10%.