|WSJ Live News
- Low Crude Prices Hammer Big Oil Companies
- Sat, 30 Jul 2016 05:44:16 EDT - Exxon Mobil’s profit fell 60% and Chevron reported a third-straight quarterly loss on Friday, capping off a week of lackluster results for the biggest Western oil companies and underscoring the continued challenge they face as crude prices fall to just above $40 a barrel.
- SABMiller Board Backs AB InBev's Higher Offer
- Sat, 30 Jul 2016 03:45:53 EDT - Anheuser-Busch InBev has cleared a major hurdle to completing its $100 billion-plus megamerger with rival SABMiller, a much-needed deal for the Belgian brewer that reported a steep fall in profits.
- Viacom Board Suit Against Redstone Holding Company to Proceed
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 17:01:22 EDT - A Delaware judge will hear arguments on whether 93-year-old Sumner Redstone had the competency to decide to replace five board members at Viacom.
- NextEra to Buy Energy Future's Oncor in $18.4 Billion Deal
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 21:03:19 EDT - NextEra Energy outbid rivals for Energy Future Holdings’ stake in Oncor, the biggest power provider in Texas, in an $18.4 billion deal that will thrust the Florida company into the big leagues among U.S. utilities.
- Bidders Circle Formula One
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 17:44:54 EDT - The long-awaited sale of the Formula One may finally be nearing the finish line as a number of bidders including British broadcaster Sky PLC are circling the racing series.
- GDP Expands at Disappointing 1.2%
- Sat, 30 Jul 2016 08:44:13 EDT - U.S. economic growth sputtered this spring—growing a meager 1.2% in the second quarter—with cautious business investment largely offsetting more robust consumer spending. The gain marks only a slight acceleration from the first quarter, when GDP advanced at a downwardly revised 0.8% pace.
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Fell in July
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 17:52:10 EDT - A gauge of U.S. consumer sentiment dropped in July—as the University of Michigan survey fell to 90.0 from June’s 93.5—in a sign that global economic uncertainty could ripple through domestic spending.
- U.S. Employment Costs Up 0.6% in Second Quarter
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 08:58:55 EDT - Employers’ personnel costs rose modestly during the spring, the latest reminder of slow income growth during the recovery.
- Cities Struggle to Add Upscale Housing While Maintaining Diversity
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 09:53:02 EDT - From Seattle to Chicago to New York, cities are struggling to crack the ultimate urban code: How to squeeze in ever more well-off people without driving out the less affluent?
- Merck Revenue Rises on Cancer, Hepatitis Treatments
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 13:17:56 EDT - Merck posted an unexpected increase in second-quarter revenue thanks to new cancer and hepatitis treatments, and an increased profit versus a year-earlier period that was weighed down by foreign-exchange losses.
- UPS Profits Rise on E-Commerce
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 13:53:33 EDT - United Parcel Service reported a 3.2% increase in profit fueled in part by e-commerce growth, but the delivery giant cautioned that a weaker industrial environment will continue to be a drag.
- Facebook May Owe Billions More in Taxes
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:05:20 EDT - Facebook said it could be on the hook for $3 billion to $5 billion in additional taxes as a result of an IRS investigation into how the social network transferred assets overseas.
- Talend Nudges Dormant Tech IPO Market
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:52:26 EDT - Software company Talend had a strong debut on the Nasdaq in what investors see as a possible boost for the lackluster tech IPO market so far this year.
- ArcelorMittal Earnings Beat Expectations
- Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:27:54 EDT - ArcelorMittal reported its best quarter in five years as steel markets in the U.S. and Europe improved thanks to new protective import tariffs, stronger demand and shrinking inventories.
- Five Hershey Trust Directors to Retire in Settlement With Pa. Attorney General
- Sat, 30 Jul 2016 08:04:54 EDT - Five directors at a charitable trust that controls Hershey Co. will leave the board as part of a settlement agreement with Pennsylvania’s top law-enforcement officer.