|WSJ Live News
What's News US
- Hiring Settles Into Steady Gains
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:57:46 EDT - Hiring by U.S. employers remained robust in July, if a bit slower than previous months, with a broad-based rise in payrolls extending a half-year streak of strong employment gains. The jobless rate ticked up to 6.2%.
- Berkshire Posts Record Quarterly Profit
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:50:39 EDT - Warren Buffett's conglomerate reported a 41% jump in earnings tied to gains at its railroad, energy and other businesses as the U.S. economy continued its recovery.
- Will This Billionaire Bring $3-a-Month Phone Plans to U.S.?
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:50:42 EDT - Telecom company Iliad has thrived on its pledge to cut French households' mobile phone bills. Founder Xavier Niel, now pursuing T-Mobile US, sees the same opportunity across the Atlantic.
- Microsoft Claims Samsung Violated Patent Agreement
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:05:18 EDT - Microsoft said it has sued Samsung Electronics, claiming its rival violated a patent-licensing contract. The dispute involves technology included in Android, Google's operating system for mobile phones and tablets.
- Stocks Swing, Ending Lower
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:36:03 EDT - A roller-coaster Friday ended a turbulent week for U.S. stocks that left benchmark indexes reeling. The Dow industrials fell into the red for 2014 and the S&P 500 stumbled to its worst weekly loss in over two years.
- U.S. Auto Sales Rose 9% in July
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:47:54 EDT - U.S. auto demand roared ahead, up 9% over a year earlier, thanks to healthy summer sales incentives and strong demand for sport-utility vehicles that pushed the annualized selling pace above 16 million cars and light trucks for a fifth straight month.
- Allergan Sues Over Valeant-Ackman Ties
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:46:47 EDT - Allergan filed a lawsuit claiming Valeant Pharmaceuticals, investor William Ackman and his firm Pershing Square violated securities laws prohibiting insider trading, among other things, in the companies' takeover battle.
- Argentina's Default Sends Ripples Through Markets
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:37:03 EDT - Argentina's failure to pay its debts set off ripples through financial markets Friday as an industry group ruled investors could collect on insurance that protects against a default.
- Moody's Upgrades Greece's Bond Rating
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:42:01 EDT - Moody's Investors Service upgraded Greece's government bond rating two notches to Caa1, citing the country's significant fiscal improvement over the past year. The rating outlook is stable.
- Mobileye Soars in Debut
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:26:24 EDT - Mobileye rallied in its trading debut, bucking an otherwise soft week for initial public offerings.
- FCC Mulls Banning Joint Bids at Spectrum Auction
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:53:02 EDT - The Federal Communications Commission has proposed banning wireless companies from teaming up to bid at next year's spectrum auction, a move that appears aimed at discouraging a Sprint bid for T-Mobile US.
- Evercore Near Deal to Buy ISI
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:03:26 EDT - Boutique Wall Street firm Evercore Partners is nearing a deal to buy equity research and trading firm International Strategy & Investment Group, according to people familiar with the matter.
- Harley Recalls Bikes Over Ignition Switch
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:51:00 EDT - Harley-Davidson said it is recalling 4,520 motorcycles globally because of an ignition switch problem that could cause the bike to shut down while riding.
- Ex-Evercore Director Hixon Sentenced
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:44:06 EDT - A former senior deal maker at Wall Street fixture Evercore Partners Inc. was sentenced Friday to 30 months in prison for his role in an insider-trading scheme. Frank Perkins "Perk" Hixon Jr. was with Evercore's mining and metals group.
- Spirit AeroSystems Swings to Profit
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 16:26:38 EDT - Spirit AeroSystems swung to a quarterly profit and raised its full-year sales and earnings' guidance, riding a wave of higher production at Boeing and significant cost cutting under new management.
- Chevron Posts Higher Earnings
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:03:25 EDT - Chevron said asset sales and demand for crude oil boosted its second-quarter earnings, though crude oil production slipped.
- ArcelorMittal Returns to Profit, With U.S. Boost
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:35:45 EDT - ArcelorMittal posted its first quarterly profit in two years, reaping benefits from cost cuts in Europe and a resurgence in U.S. steel demand. But it warned that a sharp drop in iron-ore prices would reduce its outlook for full-year earnings.
- Gaming-Equipment Makers Merge
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:05:29 EDT - Scientific Games agreed to acquire Bally Technologies for $3.3 billion, continuing the consolidation trend in the gaming-equipment industry.
- Junk Bonds Sink on Fears Rally Will End as Economy Picks Up
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:02:46 EDT - Investors retreated from risky corporate debt, sending prices tumbling and deepening fears of an end to a long rally in junk bonds.
- U.S. Hits China Solar Firms
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:47:00 EDT - The U.S. is shaking up the global solar-equipment industry by imposing heavy antidumping tariffs on Chinese makers.
- Sharp Confirms 'Going Concern' Status
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:05:53 EDT - Japanese display maker Sharp Corp. says it no longer has doubts about remaining a "going concern," thanks to a boost in demand for smartphone displays from its key customers.
- Lower Bad Debt Provision Boosts Société Générale
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:13:17 EDT - French bank Société Générale reported a rise in second-quarter net profit, helped by lower provisions against bad loans, and despite a weak Russian business hurt by the sluggish local economy.
- Fairfax Investigated for Alleged Insider Trading
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:44:31 EDT - Canadian financial-services company Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., said Quebec's securities commission is probing its chief executive, Prem Watsa, and president, Paul Rivett, for alleged insider trading.
- Chinese High-Rollers Take Lower Profile
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:10:49 EDT - China's anticorruption campaign is damping revenue at Macau's casinos, as well as spending at Hong Kong's luxury malls, as conspicuous consumption loses its cachet.
- China Data Point to Growth Rebound
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:07:26 EDT - Two gauges of manufacturing activity in China picked up in July, adding to signs that economic growth is recovering as the government's stimulus program takes effect.
- European Stocks Follow U.S. Slide
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:01:39 EDT - European stocks added to their heavy losses in previous sessions after Wall Street suffered its worst one-day loss since February.