|WSJ Live News
- UAW, Ford Reach Tentative Deal
- Sat, 03 Oct 2015 08:02:25 EDT - The United Auto Workers union and Ford Motor reached a tentative contract agreement, averting a strike set for Sunday at one of the auto maker’s pickup truck plants.
- Sbarro Seeks New Life Beyond the Mall
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 21:57:53 EDT - The chain of Italian eateries, which emerged from its second bankruptcy last year, is betting that it can build a comeback by opening stand-alone pizzerias and reducing its reliance on declining mall traffic.
- Relativity Media Founder Inks Deal for Studio
- Sat, 03 Oct 2015 20:03:55 EDT - Investors including Relativity Media’s embattled founder have reached a deal to retake his bankrupt Hollywood studio, leaving the company’s TV unit in the hands of lenders.
- Monsanto to Chart Growth Plan as Farmers Feel Squeezed
- Sat, 03 Oct 2015 13:26:41 EDT - Investors are looking to Monsanto this coming week to explain its plan for growth after the failure of its ambitious bid for rival Syngenta and amid a continued slump in the farm economy.
- Town That VW Built Views Future With Caution
- Sat, 03 Oct 2015 06:36:25 EDT - In Wolfsburg, Germany, which grew wealthy as the home of Volkswagen and its massive car-making factory, residents have begun belt-tightening and worry about lasting fallout from the diesel-emissions scandal.
- U.S. Job Growth Weakens, Sapped by Global Turmoil
- Sat, 03 Oct 2015 15:37:07 EDT - The U.S. economy posted another month of weak job growth in September—adding 142,000 positions—suggesting global economic turmoil is sapping momentum from the U.S. expansion.
- Treasury Pick Scrutinized Over Fed Leak
- Thu, 01 Oct 2015 20:39:30 EDT - Probes into the 2012 leak of Fed policy information are widening further, with a Senate panel scrutinizing a former Fed official nominated for a Treasury position.
- Treasury Says Debt Limit Must Be Raised by Nov. 5
- Thu, 01 Oct 2015 22:23:56 EDT - The government will run out of money to pay its bills sooner than previously thought, forcing Republican lawmakers who are already scrambling to elect new leaders to immediately confront a series of unpopular fiscal deadlines.
- Yellen Ally Sees Possible Fed Move Soon
- Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:14:59 EDT - Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco President John Williams said Thursday he sees the central bank raising short-term interest rates this year, perhaps as early as this month, as the economy continues to improve.
- Rift Over Drug Protections Complicates Trade Talks
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 14:43:55 EDT - A fight over how long to protect certain high-end drugs from lower-cost imitators has emerged as the leading obstacle to negotiations aimed at completing the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.
- Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Visa and Anheuser-Busch Urge Blatter to Quit
- Sat, 03 Oct 2015 10:31:58 EDT - Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, Visa and Anheuser-Busch called on Sepp Blatter to step down “immediately’’ in response to the widening corruption scandal at FIFA, international soccer’s governing body.
- Scottrade Discloses Data Breach Potentially Targeting 4.6 Million Clients
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 21:42:13 EDT - Discount brokerage Scottrade Inc. disclosed a data breach Friday that appeared to target the names and street addresses of about 4.6 million clients.
- FDA Approves Merck's Keytruda for Lung Cancer
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 20:01:12 EDT - Merck’s Keytruda has received Food and Drug Administration approval for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer, which accounts for about 85% to 90% of all lung-cancer cases.
- Tesla Deliveries Rise 49% Without Help From Model X
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 21:07:11 EDT - Tesla sold 11,580 vehicles in the third quarter on a global basis, 49% higher than a year earlier, but got almost no benefit in the quarter from the Model X SUV.
- Lawrence Summers Still Disagrees With Janet Yellen
- Thu, 01 Oct 2015 21:23:59 EDT - Several Fed officials, including Chairwoman Janet Yellen, say they plan to raise rates this year, and Lawrence Summers thinks that’s a mistake.
- Apartment Boom Levels Out, Data Indicate
- Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:48:00 EDT - Increasing supply sent vacancy rate higher in third quarter, according to new figures, suggesting the boom of the past several years is topping out.
- Budget Priorities Don't Bode Well for Future
- Thu, 01 Oct 2015 08:57:30 EDT - If congressional squabbling causes the government to shut down, the economy will be fine. The same cannot be said if the misshapen priorities embedded in the current federal budget are left to fester, writes Greg Ip.
- IMF Chief Predicts Only Modest Global Growth Next Year
- Wed, 30 Sep 2015 16:35:58 EDT - The head of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, said the global economy will grow only modestly next year as emerging-market economies, particularly China, decelerate.
- Kinross Gold Investigated for Corruption Allegations
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 20:07:59 EDT - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the Justice Department are investigating allegations of corruption at Kinross Gold Corp.’s West African facilities
- Wal-Mart to Cut 450 Jobs at Headquarters
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 19:45:46 EDT - Wal-Mart said 450 people would be laid off at the company’s headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., according to an internal memo.
- Apple Acquires Artificial-Intelligence Startup VocalIQ
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 16:46:39 EDT - Apple has purchased VocalIQ, an artificial-intelligence startup that could help make iPhone users’ interactions with the virtual assistant Siri more natural.
- Google Establishes Alphabet Holding Company
- Fri, 02 Oct 2015 22:47:45 EDT - Google said its reorganization into a holding company called Alphabet is complete, a move the Internet giant hopes will highlight the profitability of its main online advertising businesses while giving more speculative new projects freedom to grow.