|WSJ Live News
What's News US
- Apple's iCloud Is Under Attack in China
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:55:34 EDT - Apple’s iCloud service for users in mainland China has been hit by an attack that could allow perpetrators to intercept and see usernames, passwords and other personal data, activists and security analysts said.
- Russia Cites Negligence in Jet Crash That Killed Total CEO
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:42:10 EDT - The accident that killed Total SA Chief Executive Christophe de Margerie and three crew highlights the risk of “runway incursion,” in which aircraft encounter obstacles through error.
- U.S. Stocks Extend Gains
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:42:52 EDT - U.S. stocks rallied after upbeat earnings from Apple Inc. and reports that the European Central Bank was considering buying corporate bonds.
- ECB Mulls Buying Corporate Bonds
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:27:51 EDT - The European Central Bank is considering purchasing corporate bonds as an option if it concludes that more expansive measures are needed to pump money into the eurozone’s economy, people familiar with the matter said.
- New York Fed Faulted in 'London Whale' Case
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:39:38 EDT - The Federal Reserve Bank of New York failed to examine J.P. Morgan’s investment unit ahead of the bank’s 2012 “London Whale” trading debacle, according to a new report.
- U.S. Existing-Home Sales Hit Highest Level of Year
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:20:02 EDT - U.S. home sales reached the highest level of the year in September, a sign of slowly building momentum in a housing market whose recovery has come in fits and starts over the past year.
- Verizon Adds Users as Rivals Lurk
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:27:22 EDT - Verizon said it has its largest slug ever of iPhone customers coming off contract this holiday season—as many as 3.1 million—giving rivals a big opening to poach customers from the nation’s largest carrier.
- Third Point Wants Amgen to Explore Separation
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:44:38 EDT - Activist investor Dan Loeb revealed his Third Point has built a stake in biotechnology company Amgen and is calling on the company to explore breaking into two separate businesses, according to a letter he sent to Third Point’s investors, a common refrain among activists lately.
- Walgreen Faces Investor Pressure
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:09:29 EDT - An activist adviser for union pension funds is pressing Walgreen Co. to postpone seeking shareholder approval of a major takeover until directors investigate allegations raised by former Chief Financial Officer Wade Miquelon in a defamation lawsuit.
- Glass Lewis Recommends Chiquita Holders Vote Down Fyffes Merger
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:31:09 EDT - Glass Lewis recommended Chiquita shareholders vote down the company’s planned merger with Irish fruit grower Fyffes and consider other options.
- SEC Is Steering More Trials to Judges It Appoints
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:41:08 EDT - The Securities and Exchange Commission is increasingly steering cases to hearings in front of the agency’s appointed administrative judges, who found in its favor in every verdict for the 12 months through September, rather than taking them to federal court.
- China's Slowdown Raises Pressure on Beijing
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:13:27 EDT - China’s economic slowdown is widely expected to continue into next year, increasing pressure on Beijing to take more powerful measures to spur growth.
- Fed to Banks: Shape Up or Risk Breakup
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:27:08 EDT - Federal Reserve officials told bank executives they must do more to curb excessive risk-taking and improve behavior at their firms or face stiff repercussions, including being broken into smaller pieces.
- Air Bag Maker Falls on U.S. Warning
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:34:51 EDT - Shares of Japanese supplier of automotive air bags implicated in deaths plunge 23% after U.S. regulators urge drivers to “act immediately” to fix the bags.
- Travelers Profit Edges Up
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:43:47 EDT - Travelers Cos. said its operating profit edged up 1.1% in the third quarter, easily topping expectations, amid an unusually quiet U.S. hurricane season so far this year and strong investment earnings.
- Banco Espírito Santo Investment Bank Looks for Suitors
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:39:46 EDT - Investment bank’s management has approached possible buyers in China, Dubai and Mexico about possibility of spinning off unit from Novo Banco.
- Dish Network Dumps CNN
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:23:33 EDT - Satellite TV provider Dish Network Corp. is no longer carrying several channels owned by Turner Broadcasting, including CNN and Cartoon Network, after the companies failed to agree on a new distribution deal.